Welcome to PatsFans.com

By the way, the modern Republican party was born out of racism

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Phokus, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I know this is going to be a controversial topic, but i back EVERYTHING up with what Republicans have admitted to. These are factual quotes. I know there are going to be troll conservatives who don't even read this and attack me, but if you had an honest bone in your body, you will read through this and see if you could even offer one rebuttle to the opposite.

This is an undeniable fact. Historically, pre and post civil war, the party of racists was the Democratic party that represented the white southern conservative. The GOP was the party of the north.

When LBJ signed the civil rights act, he famously said, 'We have lost the South for a generation'.

Nixon brilliantly took advantage of this fact and his strategist had him target the south and had him fuel rightwing racist anger over the great betrayal from LBJ.

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ever heard of Lee Atwater? He was Karl Rove before Karl Rove came to power. He admitted pretty much everything.

Lee Atwater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reagan, of course, couldn't use the N word or anything near that. As atwater pointed out, conservatives had to get more obscure by using dog whistle politics (i.e. states rights, welfare queen, which were all code words to electrify southern racist whites to dump the democratic party on the national level and vote republican while still voting democrat at the local level because of racist dixiecrat holdovers who hadn't yet switch to the GOP).

What Reagan meant by "states' rights." - By David Greenberg - Slate Magazine

Even the former chairman of the RNC, Ken Mehlman, apologized to blacks for this (and of course, the Limbaugh crowed eviscerated him for the apology, even though it was an honest apology).

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last but not least, i think you can all remember Bush vs. McCain in the 2000 south carolina primaries, in one of the most disgusting acts i've ever witnessed in politics in my lifetime. I hate John McCain with a passion, but even he didn't deserve this B.S. Karl Rove tactic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_poll#Political_push_polls
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:
  3. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Called it.

You've shown time and time again that you don't have the intellectual capacity to debate factual points.
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If find it highly ironic (and highly amusing) that you have the audacity to use the term "troll conservatives" when this entire thread you started is the textbook definition of trolling. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My one regret is that I dignified it far more than it deserved with a response. I hope my fellow Conservative can forgive me.
  5. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It's a troll? Then that means you think my facts are weak. Debate me on this.

Lets start off slowly:

Tell me why Lee Atwater admitting this much isn't evidence. These aren't MY words, these are atwater's words.
  6. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Really? The Democrats started the Civil War and tried to block equal rights. Why did you even go down this road?

EDIT: Ohhh I see. By disavowing the former KKK Democrat members AND using the CBC, everyone else is pure evil.
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ~~~Out of Order~~~ PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation? :confused2:

Terri Gross, right?
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Please explain the purpose of this thread?
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

Is this kid Phokus still in high school or what? :confused2:

He doesn't realize half his neighbors are republicans! Either that, or he hates half the country! Go figure...:confused:
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

Oh Boy
    Jesus don't the left wing liberals love the The Old Race Card
    NO FURTHER COMMENT
  12. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I gotta go to work, but i forgot one thing. William F Buckley is often considered the founder of the modern conservative movement and it started with his national journal, the National Review.

Back when it first started, the National Review sympathized with southern white conservatives who wanted to continue segregation and he resisted the civil rights act on free market grounds.

I'm going to have to dig a little, but I've read the articles before
  13. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Education.
  14. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Again, called it

nice hysterical use of big fonts btw, you're channeling your inner tea party very well
  15. BSR

BSR Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

There were racists in the south 50 years agao? :eek:

Who knew? :confused:
  16. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Actually, note that he's referring to the modern Republican Party. Also, it's worth noting that in the mid-nineteenth century, the Republican Party was actually the liberal Party. In fact, after the North won the war, the Radical Republican wing of the Republican Party tried to press Lincoln to demand more concessions from the South.

The Democratic Party, starting under Roosevelt, began to take serious steps towards giving people of color equal rights, and JFK/LBJ made the biggest ethical move by championing Civil Rights. That in turn cost the Democrats the Dixiecrats (who were mostly Democrats because it was Lincoln who defeated them), who naturally went to the Republican Party, staining a party that already had little concern for minorities. But, I do think what JFK/LBJ did was one of the greatest acts of political courage in the history of our nation.
  17. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Okay, so the thread should read: the modern Republican party was born out of the Southern Democrats racism?
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

There are Racists today right in the Democratic Party, right in Cambridge Ma and Frisco, they are experts at hiding it.
  19. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

By the way, NAMBLA was born out of homosexuals.
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Where did that come from? Did you wake up thinking about that? (not that there's anything wrong with that)
  21. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Just wanted to post something as stupid as the original post. I think I succeeded handsomely.
  22. BSR

BSR Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

There is nothing wrong with NAMBLA? Really?
  23. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Honestly, you could make a good case for that, though having known some of the old blueblood Republicans when I was growing up, I would say that the Republican Party prior to the 60s had benign racism, the idea that it was up to the individual to behave with civility and respect, and that the government couldn't tell people not to discriminate. But, the active racists, were certainly the Dixiecrats. The Republicans are stuck with them now.
  24. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The history lesson is wonderful; it really is but stop with the pretext that this thread started with that as a goal. In reality it's just another in your face, "you republicans are really just a bunch of racists and here's the proof" threads. I'm not going to get trapped into getting all defensive just so "proof" that we're really just racists is thrown back at us because "after all Regan was a racist and Bush's campaign was racist and after all you guys liked them so do the math." Boy you got us with that one:rolleyes:

Here's a little observation I've made over the past 15 years while living in this most democratic state. It's probably not a surprise to anyone that most people I know here are democrats because most people in this state are democrats...well maybe a better way of saying it is that most people here are not republicans. Nope wouldn't want to be labeled a racist.

The vast majority of these people have some kind of entitlement attitude...that they are tolerant just based on association or something. In reality they are more racist, homophobic, and less environmentally aware than I am as a republican. They litter, will not recycle, make racist and homophobic remarks then point their fingers at republicans. I don't know if it's the carbon credit mentality or what. Here's some news for some of you. Voting democrat does not make you a better person. If you want to be a better person then you have to be a better person in your life.

Do not make the mistake that if someone feels it’s better to teach a man to fish then to just keep giving them fish that you they are mean spirited or racist or something. That is just plain false. I'm not saying there aren't hypocrites republicans either because it's clear there are.

What’s really frustrating for me is that there is no one right now that has emerged as someone that I think will change the perception.

Just some of you, get off your high horses and stop the political bigotry...and real bigotry while you’re at it. Being a democrat isn't a magic suit.
  25. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Actually, the Democratic Party, founded by Thomas Jefferson who believed in the inherent inferiority of blacks, has its hands much dirtier on this issue than Republicans, founded in large part by Abraham Lincoln. Yeah, he was a Republican, which comes to a shook to many Americans.

I still can't believe the KKK grand kleague Robert Byrd has served so long. He's a Dem.

A greater percentage of Republicans voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act than Dems. Al Gore Sr. led the fight against it. Only something like three Republicans voted against it, while 20 or so Dems did.

No Dems voted for the Fourteenth Amendment following the War Between the States.

Legislation to ban lynching was filibustered by Dems into the 20th century.

Jim Crow laws? Not a smidgen of Republican involvement--all Dems

Bruce Bartlett, a Bush basher, has a new book on it. Extra - WSJ.com
  26. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Actually, Phokus, the wikipedia article you quote about the McCains' adopting a Bangladeshi girl is wrong. Mrs. McCain went to India to visit the Sisters of Charity and Mother Teresa who, in turn, just gave her this Indian girl in need of major medical attention. To Mrs. McCain's eternal credit, she and her husband adopted this girl.

Indian, not Bangladeshi.
  27. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

No, it isn't.

But the "suit" isn't always something a democrat wears - it's simply something someone else hung on him like a colorforms cut-out.

What I always object to the most, what totally "frosts my but" is the automatic lumping of all "liberals" (as well as the reverse lumping of all "republicans") under one pre-conceived notion as if there are no individuals, no one capable of thinking for themselves in either group.

No matter what I say (and maybe no matter what anyone who's been "labeled" says) I'm just automatically "one of them," even if I'm not particularily agreeing with "them."

You're pretty good about not judging, SB, but I can't help but notice that even you, in a post supposedly about not judging all republicans as racists and imploring us to "stop the political bigotry" makes some pretty broad blanket statements about democrats.

The vast majority of these people have some kind of entitlement attitude...that they are tolerant just based on association or something. In reality they are more racist, homophobic, and less environmentally aware than I am as a republican. They litter, will not recycle, make racist and homophobic remarks then point their fingers at republicans. I don't know if it's the carbon credit mentality or what. Here's some news for some of you. Voting democrat does not make you a better person.

I've got news for you - not everyone who's a democrat does any of those things you've mentioned. It's "political bigotry" to say they do.

You're right about one thing, though, voting democrat does not make anyone a better person - nor does voting republican.

As you say, becoming a better person makes you better.

And maybe, becoming a better person, for all of us, means not doing the exact same things we are bold enough (and wrong enough) to accuse others of doing.
  28. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Phokus seems like the Anti-NEP. Only with better spelling.
  29. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Somebody needs to tell that to her father.

McCain: Yeah. There were some pretty vile and hurtful things said during the South Carolina primary. It's a really nasty side of politics. We tried to ignore it and I think we shielded her from it. It's just unfortunate that that sort of thing still exists As you know she's Bengali, and very dark skinned. A lot of phone calls were made by people who said we should be very ashamed about her, about the color of her skin. Thousands and thousands of calls from people to voters saying "You know the McCains have a black baby" I believe that there is a special place in hell for people like those.

Senator John McCain Talks About the Challenges of Fatherhood, from DadMag.com
  30. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

India is a vibrant, multiethnic place. Bengali represents the ethnicity not the state per se.

For example, Pashtuns live in both Afghanistan and Pakistan. And, no, I didn't need to google that.

Also, another datum that's interesting about India, my third favorite country after the US and Israel, is that there are 200 million Muslims living there. They have like over 600 languages, so the legacy of colonialism is generally a positive one for giving that country English.

Also, Bangladesh, which broke away from India in I think 1954 and was originally called East Pakistan, gained its independence in I think 1971.

My sister in law is a State Dept. diplomat currently stationed there. She's a really good lib, you'd like her. Her dad's a bigwig with the NEA. Of course, she attended the same elite private school that the Gore girls attended, Cathedral or something.

You rely IMHO on google too much, sister. For example, you linked to some spurious website that said the polar bear population was declining to undercut an argument I had been making. However, several months later, I read a piece in the Wall Street Journal that stated that no one disputes the fact that the polar bear population has been growing during the last fifty years.

I had to get that off my chest.

Are you Jewish? Going to shul tonight? I wish we lived closer so you could kick my ass.