BY THE NUMBERS: Eagles QB's Perfect in the Red Zone Monday Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
BY THE NUMBERS: Eagles QB's Perfect in the Red Zone Monday Night
By: Ian Logue

Taking another look at the numbers from our stats database from last night's game, the Patriots defense had a tough night in the Red Zone....

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: BY THE NUMBERS: Eagles Perfect in the Red Zone Monday Night

I knew the defensive red zone efficiency was ... well, inefficient last night - but I didn't realize it was that bad. 100% (six for six) passing by the two Philadelphia quarterbacks? I know there was no game planning and the Pats were playing backups, but those were two backups throwing the ball too.

I think that may have been the most disappointing part of last night's game. After last year's Red Zone and 3rd Down performance on defense I was hoping to see at least just a little bit more productivity Monday night.

Red AREA! Get it right! Geez, I thought this was Patsfans...:D

ok,
but some of those completions didnt go for either first downs or TDs - so that is somewhat deceptive to say opposing QBs had 100% success.

otherwise all those 3 pts FGs would have been TDs and it would have been 35-17.

Not overly fussed tbh with some starters out and most of their success coming later on in the game when the 3rd striners began getting reps.

I don't count Red Zone efficiency with Field Goals either. I see it as a massive failure for an offence to get within 20 yards and only come away with three points.

So in my eyes, the Eagles weren't six for six. On my own count, I thought they only hit the Red Zone five times...so they were three for five which still sucks a little but when the bulk of your fringe players are playing starters well into the fourth quarter, how seriously can you take the analysis of this game?

Only ESPN count FGs towards their RZ efficiency and no one uses their stats because they suck. Well I don't at least anyway ;) NFL's are far more reliable. Their QB rating change was pathetic too....I washed my hands of using their site for stats after that.

Even if I was wrong and it was six visits, that is still only 50% if you discount FGs, which you should, so that's not half bad!

Last edited:

Not overly fussed tbh with some starters out and most of their success coming later on in the game when the 3rd striners began getting reps.

I don't count Red Zone efficiency with Field Goals either. I see it as a massive failure for an offence to get within 20 yards and only come away with three points.

So in my eyes, the Eagles weren't six for six. On my own count, I thought they only hit the Red Zone five times...so they were three for five which still sucks a little but when the bulk of your fringe players are playing starters well into the fourth quarter, how seriously can you take the analysis of this game?

Only ESPN count FGs towards their RZ efficiency and no one uses their stats because they suck. Well I don't at least anyway ;) NFL's are far more reliable. Their QB rating change was pathetic too....I washed my hands of using their site for stats after that.

Even if I was wrong and it was six visits, that is still only 50% if you discount FGs, which you should, so that's not half bad!

To me a better measure of red zone ... err, red area efficiency would be average points per RZ possession. Percentage is not only less meaningful, it is actually rather confusing because one site may use any score and other sites only count touchdowns; it ends up being an apples to oranges comparison when one person is looking at Site A and another at Site B.

Since points is what matters then it seems to me that points per RZ possession would be the best indicator.

Not that the preseason means anything, but we were good in the red zone last year and we had to be to prevent the score after giving up tons of yards. Hopefully this is not sign on red zone performance during the season.

Not that the preseason means anything, but we were good in the red zone last year and we had to be to prevent the score after giving up tons of yards. Hopefully this is not sign on red zone performance during the season.

I don't think it will be. Considering the difference in players (their 1 & 2 string versus our 2-3 string) it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

To me a better measure of red zone ... err, red area efficiency would be average points per RZ possession. Percentage is not only less meaningful, it is actually rather confusing because one site may use any score and other sites only count touchdowns; it ends up being an apples to oranges comparison when one person is looking at Site A and another at Site B.

Since points is what matters then it seems to me that points per RZ possession would be the best indicator.

If you really wanted to game this out, you could also take each team's game day roster, and rate every player with a score of 1-10 with 10 being the highest and then score each play with a bias based upon the total score for players on the field on each side. Just take all 11 players on a side, for each play, and add their total scores. That gives you a base defensive rating, and a base offensive rating. You could then use modifiers based upon whether it's a pass play or run play.

Of course, that's getting a bit more than many folks would want to do, but once you have the basic math, it wouldn't be hard to score each RZ play for each game and for the whole year. :cool:

Just sayin'.......

Similar to your idea, I always thought it should be a percentage of potential RZ points. So if you allow a TD on a red zone trip, that's 100%. If you allow a field goal, that's 42.9%. By that rating, five trips into the RZ for the Eagles resulting in 27 points (out of a possible 35), makes their RZ% 77.1%.

OT: I always thought a similar system should be used in hockey for Power Play percentage. a PP that fails to score on a 5 second PP (due to penalty overlap) gets a full 0/1 added to their average. Instead, I think it should base the PP% off of full 2:00 chances, so take total PP time and divide it by 2 to get your total number of chances, then use that as the denominator for the equation. That way it rewards power plays that only need 30 seconds to score, and doesn't penalize the ones that get short changed.

Anyway, just rambling thoughts.

the eagles game was nothing more than a glorified practice. it was fun, however, to see the pats play the eagles evenly with J.Gaffney, T.Brady, M.Slater, K.Arrington, T.Wilson, D.McCourty, A.Dennard, J.Ihedigbo, S.Larsen, R.Ninkovich, J.Mayo, T.White, M.Zusevics, M.Kopa, L.Mankins, V.Wilfork, Vollmer, A.Hernandez, V.Shiancoe, W.Welker, B.Lloyd, D.Fells, R.Gronkowski, J.Ballard, M.Pryor, G.Warren,
J.Fanene not playing

We were 17th in red zone TD% allowed. This team hasn't been in the top half of the league in red zone defense since 2006. Our red zone defense has been mediocre to bad for the last 5 years.

We were 17th in red zone TD% allowed. This team hasn't been in the top half of the league in red zone defense since 2006. Our red zone defense has been mediocre to bad for the last 5 years.

But when you compare that to our overall total defense last year then that 17th ranking looks pretty good. The last thing anyone wants to see is a bottom overall D and high points against.

It's a sign that our backups can't handle the Eagles' starters. Not worried.

It's a sign that our backups can't handle the Eagles' starters. Not worried.

Pretty much....... It's like the freshmen trying to hold off the seniors that first week of high school.

Pretty much....... It's like the freshmen trying to hold off the seniors that first week of high school.

1900946_o.gif

But when you compare that to our overall total defense last year then that 17th ranking looks pretty good. The last thing anyone wants to see is a bottom overall D and high points against.

I was just pointing out that our red zone defense wasn't really very good, and hasn't been for a long time. There seems to be this acceptance among the fan base that we have a great red zone D becasue we gave up so many yards, but only an average amount of points. It's just not the case.

This defense needs more 3 and outs and short drives, not better red zone D. Keep them out of the red zone. Hell, keep them off our side of the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots