PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BY THE NUMBERS: Adalius Thomas - Why He May Have Been Benched

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Ian's Daily Blog - The biggest story prior to the start of Sunday’s record setting win against the Tennessee Titans was the fact that veteran linebacker Adalius Thomas had been benched for the game. Thomas, who according to published reports wasn’t at the stadium and sources say was less than pleased about it, was reportedly benched due to “performance-related issues”*- [...]

kinda sound's like he's in the dog house for more then just he's play

although Belichick told reporters after the game it was more due to having the best personnel on the field.

Belichick said, “No, we just went with the players that would have a bigger role in the game.”

You're a fool if you can't read into these quotes. In fact, these quotes tell you the entire story. You don't pay a guy that much money but de-activate him because "he didn't fit into the team's plans this week". BB is not happy with Thomas's play right now, and wouldn't surprise me if he is asked to take a massive pay cut or be cut next offseason.

Last edited:
kinda sound's like he's in the dog house for more then just he's play

This summer I was upset when Thomas promised to "fake injuries" to miss games if the schedule was expanded. Now that he's at home on the couch, I guess it doesn't matter much.

Why should Thomas take a massive pay cut? If the patriots cut him, he will just go elsewhere, and the patriots will be stuck with an $8.8M cap hit for unamortized bonuses.

You're a fool if you can't read into these quotes. In fact, these quotes tell you the entire story. You don't pay a guy that much money but de-activate him because "he didn't fit into the team's plans this week". BB is not happy with Thomas's play right now, and wouldn't surprise me if he is asked to take a massive pay cut or be cut next offseason.

Why should Thomas take a massive pay cut? If the patriots cut him, he will just go elsewhere, and the patriots will be stuck with an $8.8M cap hit for unamortized bonuses.

I'm sure JMcD could find a use for him. <sigh>

In any case, he's suggesting that after this season, the Pats will either force Thomas to take a pay cut, or be dumped. The hit next year won't be nearly as large, assuming there's any salary cap to worry about.

Last edited:
I'm thinking more that Thomas is unhappy with his role more than anything. He's been out in coverage and in the case of the Ravens he was spying Flacco. Seems like Bill is very comfortable this year playing in the big nickel with 2 tough inside linebackers. All of our outside linebackers are role players sharing time with the secondary players ... Adalius has been sent a message. He's overpriced as a role player but he should be happy he still has a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes