PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Buy or Sell DMR?

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So this article on the Bleacher Report has come out with this new system to grade the physical specification of prospects:

NFL Combine 2013 Results: Winners and Losers from the Weekend | Bleacher Report

Do you believe it's oversimplistic or is it a useful tool to evaluate draft prospects? I think the system might need some tweaking.

The highest graded prospect according to DMR was Christine Michael with a 9.1, whom I have not heard of but apparently had a very explosive combine. His teammate Swopes also blew up with big numbers.

Just Wait Til Next Season: Christine Michael Verifies His Incredible Day at The NFL Combine

The problem with something like that is that it highlights the Workout Warrior while not giving any credence to the skills portions of the Combine.

Another issue I have with it is that all positions don't need the same metrics. For instance, the 10 yard split is much more important for O-linemen and D-Lineman than the over-all 40.

The 10 yard split is a good indicator for WRs as to whether they have explosion off the line or are more long-striders who build up their speed. A perfect example is the WR Moe from Missouri. He's got a horrible 40 time for a modern day WR at 4.74. But his 10 yard split at 1.57 is pretty good, though not ELITE. However, Moe has the best 3-Cone and Short-Shuttle of any receiver in this draft. So, despite being almost 6'0, he projects to be a better slot receiver than an outside receiver. And he could, very well be a good punt returner.

I think that what they are trying to apply a new "Metric" to something that they don't really understand.

Combines and prodays numbers should only be used as tools to help confirm or deny what the tape says of that player.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back