PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news to wake up on.

Football players on twitter is about the stupidest merging of sports and technology that I have seen.

Exciting news about Butler though.

Glad to see the news about Butler. I was about set to have a

tirade about how slow the Patriots were signing draft picks.

Football players on twitter is about the stupidest merging of sports and technology that I have seen.

Exciting news about Butler though.

In the future there aren't going to be reporters really. All athletes, entertainers, public figures will communicate directly with the public.

4-year deal per Rosenhaus, which is the max.

AHH Nothin like great news after a breakfast burrito. Can't wait to see him on the field.

Details from PFT:

The second 2009 second-round pick to agree to terms has inked a deal that includes more than $2 million in guaranteed money for Patriots cornerback Darius Butler.

But no signing bonus.

Per a league source, Butler will receive a roster bonus of $440,000 and a guaranteed option bonus of $1.6275 million.

We're told that this amount exceeds the bonus money given to last year's ninth pick in round two by 38 percent.

Butler also is eligible for a one-time "log" bonus (if you don't know what that means, you need to visit PFT more often) of $150,000.

He'll receive base salaries of $310,000 in 2009, $395,000 in 2010, $582,500 in 2011, and $770,000 in 2012.

Typically, many first-round picks don't receive a signing bonus, due to the niceties of the rookie pool and the 25-percent rule.

The absence of a signing bonus for Butler apparently relates in part to the fact that the Patriots have a total of four second-round picks. But we're also told that Butler was able to get more total dollars by doing an option bonus, to the tune of roughly $300,000.

Even considering the "time value of money" argument, the reality is that signing bonuses often are paid out in installments over a year or so -- sometimes longer. Butler's option bonus will be earned and paid on March 15, 2010.

Details on Darius Butler deal | ProFootballTalk.com

Hopefully he can produce on both sides of the ball like he did in college, but i have Wilhite and Bodden starting at least on opening day...

In the future there aren't going to be reporters really. All athletes, entertainers, public figures will communicate directly with the public.

So that will mean that it will be a propaganda fest?

In some ways, journalism is one of the oldest professions. They used to be called witnesses. I think they'll always be around to report what was seen, to provide analysis, as long as the public thinks this is worthy.

But yeah, Twitter will put the gossip columns out of business.

Thank god.

Then again, what better way to gossip than twitter?

Is March 15, 2010 after the year ends for the 2009 salary season?

I believe it is.

Which means that that option bonus will count ENTIRELY for next year's salary cap.

Of course, next year there may be NO salary cap.

I may be wrong about this (I'm not Miguel after all) but I think the Patriots are already getting ahead of the no salary cap for 2010!

Miguel can answer this best but does this deal comply with the 25% rule??
I know, some little schmuck at a keyboard is asking if the Pats are in compliance with the CBA but inquiring minds want to know.....
The jump from year 2 to year 3 (2010 to 2011 ) appears to be about a 47% raise which IIRC is beyond the amount of increase allowed. They could always tweak it to comply by starting at 380K and going up 25% per year. Net result would cost them 80K in cap space this year but the ultimate payout (not adjusted for net present value) would be close.

So that will mean that it will be a propaganda fest?

In some ways, journalism is one of the oldest professions. They used to be called witnesses. I think they'll always be around to report what was seen, to provide analysis, as long as the public thinks this is worthy.

But yeah, Twitter will put the gossip columns out of business.

Thank god.

Then again, what better way to gossip than twitter?

It will be less propagandist and twisted without a middleman distorting interviews for his own take/bias.

I hope it gets hacks like Peter King out of the business.

Welcome to Championship-ville USA!!!

"Slants and incuts!...THATS the game!"

Good news, as I am hoping/thinking Butler may end up being the most valuable piece in this year's draft (though a NT departure could drastically change that).

On another note : I agree about this Twitter craze. It is changing a great deal - but I'm not sure it's for the better. Example : I hope no Pats do this Ocho-will-be-tweeting-during-games-crap stunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes