PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler serving time in backup role

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Butler serving time in backup role by Mark Farinella of the Attleboro Sun Chronicle

Amazing that a day one draft pick has become a forgotten man on this roster, especially when plays a position that was probably the worst on the Pats team last year.

"Some of the things we are asking him to do as a corner are different than what he did in college," Belichick said, "so in all honesty, this is the first time we've seen him do some of the things that he's doing. He really didn't do some of those things in college, but Darius is a smart kid. He works hard. He's got good talent. He's fast. He's quick. He picks up coaching points quickly. You tell him something and he understands it.

"I think he has a good feel for concepts and for the passing game, where receivers are --what's threatening, what's dangerous and what isn't," Belichick said. "He's coming along. He's made a lot of progress, but he's got a long way to go."

As any truly smart rookie would do, Butler is picking the brains of veterans Springs and Bodden in an effort to speed his own development. He has also forged a bond with the other young cornerbacks and safeties, and established a common goal of steady improvement.

"We just want to get better every day," Butler said. "And every day we want to make sure at the end of that day that if it was a bad day, let that be our worst day. Never go backwards, always taking steps forward."

Sounds like he does have the "what to say in an interview" portion of his training down already.

I'm excited about Butler. I think he can be a starting CB in a year or two, do some kickoff/punt return work, and even catch some passes as a receiver. He's gonna be an excellent asset to our defensive backfield for years to come. With Wilhite/Wheatley, Butler, Merriweather & Chung, I'm really excited for the future.

it's good that he's out there for tc. he's getting a ton of reps with the double sessions (along with Wheatley). i look forward to seeing him in the preseason (no doubt against second and third stringers, but nevertheless).

He was amazing to watch down at Uconn. This was a great pick-up, he has the ability to play multiple positions and to play them very well. I feel he'll be a starting CB by the second half of the year or next year at the latest. For the 1st half of the year he'll be a force on special teams.

He also has the ability to be returning kicks too if needed or even stepping up into the O as a WR.

Very talented and smart player.

Hopefully he's playing mostly ST and spot duty this year, because that will mean the four guys ahead of him are healthy and doing their jobs.

Butler will be fine. Smart kid...gifted athlete...born to be corner.

I remember we were all questioning Meriweather. He looked very lost that first year.

Butler and Chung will be great players for us in short order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes