PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butch Stern on chad jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsRI said:
He's alright, he's famous on EEI for getting Schilling to call up and go on a tirade saying what Sterns said was "a stupid, idiotic thing to say."

And as a result he has a reputation for not knowing anything.

What he said that enraged Schilling was that his sources in the Red Sox clubhouse told him that Schilling and Pedro did not like each other and Pedro in particular was jealous that he felt the new regime valued Schilling over him.

Here's the thing, we know now that Schilling was lying and Butch was telling the truth.

Slagathor said:
Locally, the only guys who seemed to have any credible connections with the Pats are Holley, Curran, and Smith.

I'd add Reiss to that list, IMO.

NEM said:
That was my thought too. Why rush him back in meaningless games. The guyhas been around football long enough. He knows what to do, and what is expected of him. Wide Receiver is one of the easiest transitions to make from college ball to the NFL.

Actually I have heard that WR is one of the toughest transitions from college to the NFL.

NEM said:
Wide Receiver is one of the easiest transitions to make from college ball to the NFL. Just learn the individual team terminology, the routes, and get together with your QB.....then catch the ball when it gets there....

I respectfully disagree. It is rare for a rookie WR to have a great season. NFL coverages are complex.

bucky said:
How much could the LOVE the guy? They've only seen him practice like 3 times in full pads. In the only practice I saw this year, Chad dropped like 3 balls.
Maybe they've seen a little more of him than you have. Maybe, I don't know - it was just a thought . . .

maverick4 said:
I respectfully disagree. It is rare for a rookie WR to have a great season. NFL coverages are complex.
I agree with you there, I don't think it's disputable. Thankfully, Jackson has been injured not holding out so he's still getting all the classroom/gameplan stuff.

NEM said:
I disagree with your disagreement. Terry Glenn, Randy Moss, Anquan Boldin, Larry FitzGerald,and many, many more....
Throw out whatever names you like, the reality is that rookie WR are not a good bet. You just named 4 guys over 10 years, and there's probably some you missed, but it is not an easy transition. As opposed to RB which is more instinct, WR is more learned assuming you have the skills.

NEM said:
Again, I disagree. Obviously, one needs the skills, but, after learning the individual routes that each team runs, workikng together with a QB in pre season camp, and pre season games, WR is fairly simple to move right into and be productive.
This is just a skill position article and it's a few years old but their numbers don't have a lot of rookie WR success :

http://www.footballdocs.com/fantasy_rookies.html

bucky said:
How much could the LOVE the guy? They've only seen him practice like 3 times in full pads. In the only practice I saw this year, Chad dropped like 3 balls.
They do other stuff besides practice. Maybe Jackson is wowing them in film study, team meetings, or the weight room.

BelichickFan said:
Maybe they've seen a little more of him than you have. Maybe, I don't know - it was just a thought . . .

Isn't that what I said? I've seen 1 practice and they've seen 3.

bucky said:
Isn't that what I said? I've seen 1 practice and they've seen 3.
And, as Hok said, a heck of a lot more than that. Or maybe the players just show up for practice then go home.

Hok said:
They do other stuff besides practice. Maybe Jackson is wowing them in film study, team meetings, or the weight room.

"wowing them in team meetings"? It's a lot more likely that Butch's insiders who "LOVE" Jackson are Jonathan Kraft's mother-in-law's accountant and his family.

NEM said:
Actually, I did a very quick check at NFL.com and went through the current WR list, very quickly, and found at least 15 or 20 WR's who had 50 or more receptions in their rookie season.
Sorry to pile on here, NEM, but if you throw 200 times at a receiver, he'd better catch the ball 50 or more times. Receptions is often a matter of opportunity.

Thing is, if you play WR for Tom Brady and cut towards the coverage instead of away, next time he'll throw to Faulk or Watson or Thomas or Maroney or Brown or anyone else but you.

Jackson's advantage was playing for a college team where the WRs had to read coverages, and that may give him a leg up, but everything is faster in the NFL and you can't adjust to game speed in a meeting room. When Tom drops back, he will cooly throw to the best percentage receiver and that will be the guy who can read coverages at game speed and go where Tom expects.

I can't see that it'll be Jackson until he gets some time on the field with Tom.

Oswlek said:
I know absolutely nothing about Butch Sterns, but a member of the Indystar (yes, that hellhole) board named Bobsports, who has broken more than enough stories to prove that he does have a source, was saying way back during minicamp that NE coaches loved Jackson.

Duh! I thought they TRADED UP in the second round of the draft to get him. I suppose that means they HATE him?:eek: :rolleyes:

I'm calling BS on this one. I can't imagine any scenario where an NFL coach, let alone Belichick would sit a rookie out for the preseason to baby him.

Rookies need every snap and practice they can get. I am enthusiastic about Chad Jackson, but not practicing in training camp is a sign that a rookie will not have a very productive year.

Who here can imagine Bellichick saying, "Oh Jackson's hammy is tight, let's keep him out of the preseason" ? No way. Butch is full of crap.

I have no doubt the Patriots are high on Jackson, but they cannot be happy about his missing time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the numbers I'd have to agree with BF fan here.
The easiest position to transition from college to the pros is probably runningback.

WRs rarely produce a lot their first year. It usually takes them about 3 years to fully develop. Guys like Glenn and Moss are the exceptions not the rule.

I'm optimistic about Jackson but to be realistic you'd have to be thrilled if he even reached 500 yards receiving this season.

I've told you guys for a while now. I know some of you remember like Belichick fan and so on. Chad jackson was fine and he has been available for weeks.

I told you guys so.

Branch had a pretty good 1st year

SeanBruschi54 said:
I've told you guys for a while now. I know some of you remember like Belichick fan and so on. Chad jackson was fine and he has been available for weeks.

I told you guys so.
You're getting a thread dedicated to your excellence if Chad catches a pass opening day :rocker:

PatsWickedPissah said:
Branch had a pretty good 1st year
489 yards, 2 TDs. That's the point, a pretty good rookie year for a WR is still blah. There are only occasional huge years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes