Welcome to PatsFans.com

Busting the bubble....

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by patfanken, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfanken

patfanken Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,424 / 23 / -11

#91 Jersey

....or in other words I just got fed up with all the NY Giants talk I've been hearing today. Let me take it step by step using the "blueprint" that all these idiot talking heads keep bringing up....Part 1

1. "Run the ball and keep Brady on the bench"

Well THAT is not going to happen any time soon. Hasn't anyone noticed that the Pats' run defense has been pretty good in the last month. In week 17 Brandon Jacobs was held to 67 yds. The 2nd best rushing attack in the league managed only 80 yd as a COMBINED group (Taylor, Jones-Drew, Garrad), and finally 100 vs SD - with 28 of those yds coming against an end of the half draw play against a maximum pass defense.

BOTTOM LINE - If the Giants think that somehow THEIR rushing attack is better than the Jags and SD, they are very much mistaken. I can see them getting as much as 100 yds, but no more....and that isn't going to keep Brady et all on the bench.

2. Put Brady on the ground - WHAT- Osi and Strahan are 2 great pass rushers, but the fact is that threw for over 300 yds in that game WITHOUT Neal, Kazcur, and KBrady....IN Giants Stadium....ON a cold windy day. Oh, I'm sure they will sack him a couple of times, and hit him a few more....BUT for at LEAST 25 of the 30 odd times that Brady will drop back in the Superbowl, he will have ALL THE TIME he needs to gash the Giants. And that will be against a Giant secondary that will SIGNIFICANTLY inferior to EITHER of the 2 teams the Pats have played thus far. Please give me a legitimate reason why things will change that drasically that what I stated won't happen.

BOTTOM LINE: Brady will have time, and the Giants secondary isn't built to stop them.

THeres is so much more, But I have to run so we can start with these two items....AND there are more to come.

2. Watson's IQ

Watson's IQ Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

You're exactly right, of course, and people with knowledge of football couldn't agree with you more. But don't expect the mainstream media (or, god forbid, talk radio callers) to favor logic over the sensational.

Your cogent analysis has no place on the national stage, sir, now please excuse me while I study 14 hours of TMZ footage of Brady's foot. :bricks:

3. eom

eom In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -2

I agree -- pats are better.

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

I don't think playing keepaway will work when we can score at will barring bad weather or turnovers. The only way we can lose, IMO, is to be outscored which is why the Colts scared the crap out of me.

edit - obviously by "outscored" I meant in a scoring fest like 37-34, clearly any outscoring would beat us :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  5. eom

eom In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -2

lol .

6. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,751 / 9 / -2

#50 Jersey

Before the AFCC I heard Jon Meterparel explain that the keys for the Chargers would be to put up points and limit the Patriots' scoring.

7. The Boston Patriot

The Boston Patriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +131 / 4 / -0

Ken,

I hate to tell you this but you are wrong! Dead wrong! BB said that the Giants
    were practically the best team in football! :D

8. fnordcircle

fnordcircle brady plz PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 20 / -26

I'm not convinced that the Pats will be able to focus on stopping the run between the 20s as much as they did with Jax and SD. A gimpy Rivers throwing to a gimpy gates is not the concern that LdT and Turner were. Similarly Garrard is a great QB but he's not proven he can really kill you with his arm week in and week out, hence Taylor and MJD drew a lot more attention from our safeties.

Ultimately, though, the Patriots are just as capable, if not moreso, of playing ball-control. The idea that just because they've shown they can score big and often means they can't manage a long, clock-killing drive too is pretty clearly not the case.

9. Watson's IQ

Watson's IQ Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Exactly. I'm pretty sure the Pats put the "high flying finesse offense" thing to bed against San Diego. On a day when the passing attack never really got much rhythm, Maroney was able to run all over them in the 2nd half (as he was against the Jags), concluding with a long sustained drive which ran out the clock.

The Pats have made it pretty clear that no matter what style of game ends up being played, they're going to find a way to win in that manner.

10. StevePatsFan

StevePatsFan Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Come on guys, this isn’t our first rodeo, this has been the trend since the Ravens game, and in all the playoff games so far. Monday after the WC game, Jacksonville is going to win, they can do a, b, and c. Come Friday everyone but a few minor people trying to pick a name for themselves pick the Pats... Pats go on to do what they do, win, and the game never really in question…

Its going to be the same way, a week and a half of talking heads saying why the Giants can win, to hype the game, then come Friday everyone picks the Pats come super bowl Sunday the Pats do what they do, kill the giants…

11. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +185 / 14 / -3

There is a sure way to limit the Patriots.

The Chargers are the only team to have successfully put together the proper defense.

In short, do everything you can to pressure the Patriots up the middle. Crunch the pocket on Brady so he can't step up. All these teams with great speed rushers on the ends can't touch Brady.

I also think there are very few DTs who can bull Koppen, Neal and Mankins. The Chargers however were pretty good at it, and that's a large reason why Brady had a difficult day. He was sidestepping but his throws came from very deep in the pocket.

12. karran_s

karran_s On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's what I think will happen in the game...

1st quarter.. Brady will line up with 4 WRs and pass to Moss / Welker / Stallworth and Gaffney - 2 TDs at least

2nd quarter .... with two TEs blocking, Maroney / Faulk will run through the defense and score 1 TD ....

The GMen will score 2 FGs (i.e. if Tynes doesn't miss)....

3rd quarter .... repeat of 1st quarter...

4th quarter... either Brady will run out the clock or if we are so far ahead by that time, BB may decide to put Matt in for a taste of the SB...

13. Zeus

Zeus PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0

This worked so well that the Chargers limited the Patriots to a mere 22 minutes of ball possession in the second half.

14. bakes781

bakes781 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The weakness on the Pats defense isn't necessarily stopping the run it's simply missed tackles specifically in the front 7. We've all seen it time & again. Generally when our opponent gets into the redzone we clamp down better, but in the Giants game we saw Jacobs break tackles with ease. He along with Plaxico present a huge challenge in the red zone. So this idea of bend but don't break may be a recipe for disaster against the NYG.

15. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,514 / 19 / -17

#75 Jersey

The giants can bring pressure without blitzing. This is a big tactical advantage, especially if they have a great secondary.

But they don't.

With our Dline and experienced linebackers and Rodney we can stop any running attack we commit to.

The silliness of worrying about the other teams running when we're up by 4 touchdowns in the second half and playing 6 DBs is over, I hope.

16. SeymoreButts

SeymoreButts Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Jon Meterparel is a joke! He can't take a leak without john Dennis's help!

17. JR4

JR4 In the Starting Line-up PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +41 / 3 / -2

For the next two weeks their Job is to make Giants look very good.
    Good enough for the uninformed to believe there is a significant chance
    that the Giants will upset the PATs.

They have to! They are paid to. Advertisers expect them to.
    How else can they attract the expected audience numbers they need
    to charge those ad bucks.

It will be this way right up until game time. I wouldn't be surprised if they
    are charging three times as much for commercial air time in the 1st half
    compared to the 2nd half. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.