PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bust watch

the ginger on the bengals did Ok last year

RGIII-Expectations are just too high, he could have a decent season for a rookie QB and still be called a failure.

Dontari Poe-I'm surprised KC took him, I didn't think Pioli would take that risk. Hard to see a guy who can't dominate at the level he played at in college coming into the pro's and doing so.

Quentin Coples-Sounds like a prospect who needs a kick in the @ss and Ryan treats him like he should take the summer off because he's already good to go.

Bruce Irvin-I think he will get sacks but opposing offenses will exploit him otherwise.

Brandon Weeden-I pity the fool who has to run that offense in that division. Richardson will help but it's still a tll task for any rookie, no matter how old.

Dontari Poe - even his combine performance was overrated. He was poor in everything except the 40 and bench press.

I'm not sure how Dalton ran the Browns offense?

he ran an offense that was arguably deemed as pathetic as the browns appear to be at this point ...... in the same division.....

between the loss of suggs and the steelers not having much of a DL, that division is suddenly not so scary

all the other starting QB's in that division did OK as rookies

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about him throwing for 350 against the pats

Last edited:
Here's a few guesses:

Courtney Upshaw
Cordy Glenn
Stephen Hill

Upshaw? Why Upshaw? He seemed like a Patriots type of guy; I was dismayed that the rotten Ravens took him and he seems like too much of a boyscout for those gangstas. But Newsome has got to be the best in the business on draft day(s).

Upshaw? Why Upshaw? He seemed like a Patriots type of guy; I was dismayed that the rotten Ravens took him and he seems like too much of a boyscout for those gangstas. But Newsome has got to be the best in the business on draft day(s).

Upshaw "too much of a boyscout"? The guy Nick Saban called the meanest player he ever coached? A guy who was arrested in 2009 on charges of domestic violence and harassment? I'm not saying Upshaw is any worse than most guys, but he's hardly a "boyscout".

That aside, the big issue with Upshaw is whether he can play in space as a LB, and whether he is explosive enough as a DB. I'm guessing the Ravens will be smart enough to scheme him wisely, but it wouldn't shock me if he struggles to be the same kind of player in the pros that he was at Alabama.

He'll likely be double-covered every second of every game...Jacksonville hardly has another viable receiving option.

Really? The Jags added Laurent Robinson who has proven himself with the Cowboys. They also have another WR by the name of Mike Thomas. You might have heard of him. They also have a really good TE by the name of Marcedes Lewis. Not to mention a damn good RB in Maurice Jones-Drew. The idea that Jacksonville doesn't have another receiving option outside of Blackmon is total BS. The issue is whether or not Blaine Gabbert/Chad Henne can get them the ball.

Last edited:
You mean Mike Thomas? And Laurent Robinson has never produced anything except when being the number 3 receiver behind Dez Bryant and Miles Austin. Blackmon better be good, or they're sunk.

Robinson produced last year in Dallas as the #2 when Miles Austin was out of the line-up due to injury. In fact, Robinson had very good chemistry with Romo and Romo was ticked that Robinson went to Jacksonville.

Upshaw "too much of a boyscout"? The guy Nick Saban called the meanest player he ever coached? A guy who was arrested in 2009 on charges of domestic violence and harassment? .

Oh I did not know about that. Sounds like a perfect Raven....

Oh I did not know about that. Sounds like a perfect Raven....

I don't think Upshaw is a "bad apple". The domestic think was apparently overblown. But he is no choir boy, for sure.

So who will be this year's busts? My bet (based strictly on highlights--I did not see any college games) is Justin Blackmon; he seems ponderously slow getting in and out of breaks. Watch out Jacksonville...

HA! Snork snork. I did not expect confirmation of my hunch so quickly. Good going Justin...

Last edited:
HA! I did not expect confirmation of my hunch so quickly. Good going Justin...

As I've posted elsewhere on this forum, about half of the top 10 tends to significantly underperform compared to expectations, with about 1/3 being outright "busts". JaMarcus Russell, Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson, Ted Ginn, Amobi Okoye, Glenn Dorsey, Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey, Keith Rivers, Jason Smith, Tyson Jackson, Aaron Curry, Andre Smith, Darius Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree, Gerald McCoy, Rolando McClain and others come to mind from recent drafts. I doubt this year will be any exception. Guys who looked like gold will tarnish. Blackmon may salvage his career or he may just be the first to flame out, but even if so, I doubt he will be the only one. With 2 DUIs in 2 years, he is starting off on very shaky ground.

But Newsome has got to be the best in the business on draft day(s).

Actually according to a 10 year study of the entire league Newsome is 2nd when it comes to drafting, so you were close.

I hope Brother Blackmon rights'is ship before it sinks.

Whatever his Demons ~ or utter lack of Judgment ~ off the field, my impression is that he is an absolutely outstanding teammate, a dedicated Blocker, and a reliable, tenacious Receiver.

I pray that this wakes him up, because he is sliding rapidly towards the Abyss.

Whatever his Demons ~ or utter lack of Judgment ~ off the field, my impression is that he is an absolutely outstanding teammate, a dedicated Blocker, and a reliable, tenacious Receiver.

I dont know why many of these guys don't hire drivers to take them to and from clubs and social events.

HA! Snork snork. I did not expect confirmation of my hunch so quickly. Good going Justin...

To be fair, a DUI does not mean he will be a lousy player. Just a sign of a guy who let his sudden riches go to his head.

My evaluation of his playing ability is paper thin (based only on a few minutes of highlights) so he could turn out OK.

Blackmon's had 2 DUIs before age 23, his second a potential felony. NFL.com reports that his .24 blood alcohol level is the highest they've been able to find on any NFL player with a DUI in the last 5 years. He has a major problem - if he's not in the abyss, he's damn close. He is likely to start his NFL career with a suspension and have millions of potential bonuses tied to his ability to stay sober, and that's the least of his worries. If he doesn't want to end up on the scrap heap like Charles Rogers and Reggie Williams, he'd better get his act together fast.

He has to understand what this opportunity is. He apologized heavily for his first offense, but he looks like a hypocrite when testing so high that it looks blatant in his disregard for the rules.

Blackmon's had 2 DUIs before age 23, his second a potential felony. NFL.com reports that his .24 blood alcohol level is the highest they've been able to find on any NFL player with a DUI in the last 5 years. He has a major problem - if he's not in the abyss, he's damn close. He is likely to start his NFL career with a suspension and have millions of potential bonuses tied to his ability to stay sober, and that's the least of his worries. If he doesn't want to end up on the scrap heap like Charles Rogers and Reggie Williams, he'd better get his act together fast.

I remember doing incredibly foolish things at an early age, but I got them out of my system by the time I was 23. A lot of these guys just don't have the proper support group to steer them on the right path.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back