Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bust watch

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by FredFromDartmouth, May 6, 2012.

1. FredFromDartmouth

FredFromDartmouth In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +74 / 74 / -71

So who will be this year's busts? My bet (based strictly on highlights--I did not see any college games) is Justin Blackmon; he seems ponderously slow getting in and out of breaks. Watch out Jacksonville...

2. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +383 / 69 / -51

No Jersey Selected

Tavon Feckin Wilson

3. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +507 / 1 / -1

I need to work on my prediction skills. I only correctly guessed 2/3 of the words in your post.

4. MP-Logick

MP-Logick Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He'll likely be double-covered every second of every game...Jacksonville hardly has another viable receiving option.

5. ZoisKing

ZoisKing On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +27 / 6 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Off the top of my head:

Quentin Coples
    Dontari Poe
    Brandon Weeden
    Ryan Tannehill
    Shea McClellan

For a number of different reasons (age, scheme, attitude), those guys are the most bustable of the first round.

6. Avenger

Avenger Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +97 / 4 / -1

#11 Jersey

looking at their roster I would line up Justin Blackmon and Lee Evans or Laurent Robinson at WR with Mike Thomas in the slot, Marcedes Lewis at TE, and Maurice Jones-Drew at RB. Blackmon will help the receiving corps, and Evans and Robinson are solid mid-level FA pickups, but I think they need to add another viable WR. Mohamed Sanu would have complimented Blackmon perfectly but they took a punter in the 3rd round instead.

7. BritPat

BritPat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +378 / 4 / -4

#54 Jersey

You're doing Laurent Robinson and Mike Williams a great disservice.

They actually have a decent set of receivers now - Blackmon is your typical Y, Robinson your typical X, and Williams is a terrific slot guy. Lewis has already shown that with a decent QB, he can make plays (10 TD's a few years ago).

If Gabbert is the man (which is pretty doubtful), that offense could surprise some people this year. They already have one of the top 3 RB's in the league.

8. MP-Logick

MP-Logick Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You mean Mike Thomas? And Laurent Robinson has never produced anything except when being the number 3 receiver behind Dez Bryant and Miles Austin. Blackmon better be good, or they're sunk.

9. BritPat

BritPat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +378 / 4 / -4

#54 Jersey

I was going to say "little black dude called Mike", but guessed at Williams. Thomas it is!

10. Leemo

Leemo Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +25 / 2 / -0

#87 Jersey

I said this months ago when he was projected top 7, Quinton Coples.

11. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

i agree with everyone but Shea McClellan. He will have Peppers opposite of him and should have a big year.

12. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Quentin Coples - Gholston 2.0
    Dontari Poe - Just didn't face good competition to get a fair grade on him
    Ryan Tannehill - Will be thrown into the fire WAY too soon. Hopefully it will that first game verses NE
    Melvin Ingram - Larry English 2.0
    Kendall Wright - Is going to lose a lot of reps to Washington and Britt. Also will have Locker throwing to him
    A. J. Jenkins - Has to battle Crabtree, Manningham, and Moss for reps. Also has Alex Smith throwing him the ball
    David Wilson - Won't see the field much if Bradshaw stays healthy. This pick was a surprise reach after TB swooped in and stole Doug Martin from them.

13. Potstickas

Potstickas On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bruce Irvin. He is raw and I have doubt's on Seattle's ability to coach him up.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  14. MrNathanDrake

MrNathanDrake In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +762 / 31 / -18

#95 Jersey

Melvin Ingram plays nothing like Larry English.

15. ZoisKing

Ratings:
    +27 / 6 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Whenever I watch tape of McClellan I don't see an NFL caliber defensive end. I think he's a JAG in that role. I don't remember his combine numbers, but I seem to recall that his strength numbers were low for a guy who hopes to play end in any defense.

I like him better as a linebacker in any scheme. I think he has the tools to excel playing behind the line. He's all over the place. That's why I had him on my bust list-because of scheme fit.

I hope he does well, as I live in Chicago and hear the groans about this pick every day.

16. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,013 / 11 / -8

The Bears have essentially said that they are only planning on using McClellin as a pass-rushing DE, at least at first:

Chicago Bears: Shea McClellin's best trait is also the most valuable commodity: Pass rush - Chicago Tribune

Personally, I agree with you. I liked McClellin, but not as much as OTG and others did. I didn't see Connor Barwin kind of explosiveness and fluidity - just a very versatile kid with a great motor who got the most out of his ability. I'm not convinced that he'll be a difference maker as a DE, and I thought he would do best in a scheme that maximized his versatility.

17. ZoisKing

Ratings:
    +27 / 6 / -0

No Jersey Selected

I think the Bears will realize that when they try to employ him at that spot on a full time basis. He could make me eat my words, and I truly hope he does. I like seeing guys who work hard be successful. He seems like a great kid and a versatile hard worker. However, when all is said and done, he's going to have to beat NFL tackles, and I don't see him having that type of natural ability.

18. rookBoston

rookBoston 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +71 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

Put me down for one order of Quentin Coples, a double of Dontari Poe and a side of Whitney Mercilus.

19. kurtinelson

kurtinelson In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +27 / 5 / -2

#37 Jersey

Here's a few guesses:

Courtney Upshaw
    Cordy Glenn
    Stephen Hill

20. Ivan

Ivan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 37 / -73

#75 Jersey

RGIII-Expectations are just too high, he could have a decent season for a rookie QB and still be called a failure.

Dontari Poe-I'm surprised KC took him, I didn't think Pioli would take that risk. Hard to see a guy who can't dominate at the level he played at in college coming into the pro's and doing so.

Quentin Coples-Sounds like a prospect who needs a kick in the @ss and Ryan treats him like he should take the summer off because he's already good to go.

Bruce Irvin-I think he will get sacks but opposing offenses will exploit him otherwise.

Brandon Weeden-I pity the fool who has to run that offense in that division. Richardson will help but it's still a tll task for any rookie, no matter how old.