Welcome to PatsFans.com

Business leaders push for 25 cent gas tax hike

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +557 / 22 / -19

Business leaders push for 25 cent gas tax hike - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

A group of five major Massachusetts business organizations said today that the state needs a 25 cent per gallon gas tax hike -- higher than Governor Deval Patrick's 19 cent proposal -- to fix the state's transportation system.

"The political stakes are high, but the leadership here is necessary," said Paul Guzzi, president and CEO of the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce.

Guzzi was joined at a press conference in downtown Boston by leaders from the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation, the Massachusetts Business Roundtable, A Better City, and NAIOP Massachusetts, a commercial real estate development association.

But without investments in roads, bridges, trains, and subways, the state risks losing companies that are hemmed in by bad access and risks hindering workers' ability to get to paying jobs.

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Business leaders want the citizens to pay the taxes, cuz they know the gubmit is going to get them from someone. Also, they know that if the money is spent on projects related to public transportation, it means money for construction companies, and added spending. Spending supported from the taxpaying citizens, and not they, the business community. I can't blame them though, business' in this state, much like the citizentry, are over taxed as it is. It's survival of the fittest, and when you know someone is going to die (i.e. be taxed by the gubmit), you do everything to you can to make sure it's you that's still standing.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +557 / 22 / -19

You're right, MA has high business costs, but at the same time we're ranked second in terms of quality of life. I guess it depends on your priorities. If you want businesses to thrive, lower taxes, but if you want people to thrive, follow MA's lead. :D

Table: The Best States For Business - Forbes.com

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

LOL, quality of life according to who? The Health Index? :rofl:

The best city to raise a family in is Malden Massachusetts.

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,970 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Connecticut, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont gas stations are jumping for joy on this news.

6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Are we the only state talking about raising taxes in the middle of a giant recession? Why do I think this would be laughed out of the room in Rhode Island, California or Hawaii?

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +775 / 17 / -22

#24 Jersey

My taxes in CA are going up - and that will cause more people to leave the state and the cycle will continue.

8. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,970 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

I used to buy my gasoline almost always in Massachusetts in the 80's and early 90's. Gas was always @ 5 cents cheaper in Mass. Of course the fools who devise these economic models base their faulty estimates on current sales ... yeah ... okay ... we may always get screwed but we're not stupid.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Reminds of the fare hike on the Tobin Bridge. When they doubled it to a dollar, they didn't calculate a subsequent drop in volume. Gubmit sure is smaht. That meant a later $2 toll, and we all know where those are now. Stoopid is as stoopid duz.

10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,970 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Yeah they never factor in reality. Sort of along the same lines is when they approve a public project and say it will lead to 10,000 jobs. Of course they don't tell you that a job is 1 laborer doing 1 thing at one time ... 100 of them doing 100 jobs each.

11. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I wonder how many of them pay the voluntary higher state tax rate. My guess is the same as the amount of senators that do which is 0. Ultra liberals always love other people paying more taxes. :rolleyes: