Welcome to PatsFans.com

Business as usual in the Peoples republic of Massachusetts !

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Nov 2, 2010.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +126 / 20 / -16

I did not expect much of a change in the peoples republic, but the margin
    the Democrats won by is amazing.

I really wanted to see the sales tax rolled back to 3%.
    I know it would only be a matter of days before they increased it again.
    Hopefully they would have only moved it back to 5%.

The Unions always seem to defeat the ballot question tax cuts.
    Too bad they don't put as much effort into working 12 months of the year.

The unions did not object to cutting the Alcohol sales tax and it may pass.
    They need the Alcohol tax break while they work under the table and collect
    unemployment.

I wish there was a ballot question on how much time you can spend
    on unemployment.

Nobody should be allowed to be on unemployment for 6 months of every year.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,933 / 12 / -22

#61 Jersey

I thought the governor's race would be tighter, but Cahill sort of wrecked things for Baker. I abhor Devil Puke-rick.

How and why people get cowed by the Chicken Little anti-tax cut ads is beyond me. This vote simply ensures that I'll do most of my shopping north of the border. Sales tax should NEVER exceed 5 percent.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +481 / 20 / -17

Last I saw, Cahill was taking votes about evenly from both candidates.

You'll do your shopping up north to save 1.25 cents on every dollar? The wear and tear on your car and cost of gas will easily eat up that savings. MA remains a great state with one of the highest standards of living and quality of life. The taxes are well worth it, as long as we continue to crack down on waste and fraud where it can be found.

4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

:yeahthat:[​IMG]

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +830 / 7 / -2

When you have so many deadbeats on the state dole, and most everybody else getting some sort of subsidy from it, it's hard to elect anyone opposed to the status quo. It is what it is people.

Cahill helped Deval. He helped him by taking votes away from Baker, as well as having forced Baker to both defend himself from Cahill's attacks, and attack Cahill for separation. In the next 6 months you'll see Cahill take a job in either Capitol Hill, or in DC. That's how it works in politics.

I also don't think Baker ran an aggressive enough campaign.

6. cupofjoe1962

Ratings:
    +126 / 20 / -16

I live in Hanson, but I work in Lowell.
    I am in the market for a couple flat screen TV's.

I have never gone to Nashua in the past to take advantage of
    the no sales tax.

After tonight..... I am sure planning on it.

I am now planning on a trip to Nashua that will proably save
    me at least $150+ for a couple of 46 inch LED TV's.

It will be worth the 15 minute drive each way from Lowell to Nashua.

7. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I bought mine in Salem NH (Screw you Deval). I recommend a Best Buy Insignia LED LCD.

8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So you have enough cash to spend $2400* just to be able to watch Dancing With the Stars in two different locations in your home then?

I'll keep that in mind the next time you whine about how high taxes in MA keep the economy down and keep everyone poor. After all, how bad can things be if a guy who can't spell 'probably' has that much dough for television?

*that number assumes you did the math right on saving $150 in sales tax.

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +481 / 20 / -17

It amazes me how irresponsible some Republicans are. They propose tax cuts without stating what they'll cut. Could you imagine going home and saying, "Honey, we're going to cut our weekly budget in half" without thinking it through? You might not even be able to afford your mortgage or rent that way. That so many conservatives get caught up in blatant political hubris is disappointing. If you want tax cuts, state what you think can be cut. Thank goodness, the people of Massachusetts are not as fiscally shallow as some Republicans would like us to be.

If cupofjoe's mentality catches on in his area, then he'll see local businesses shutter up and property values drop, sort of cutting off his nose to spite his face. I myself always try to buy locally to support my local community, and because of the convenience in the event a product is defective or I have a question.

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I hear the schools and public services in NH are awesome, too. Their public universities are way better than here. Their parks and natural resource management are the best. And when I'm considering where I'm going for medical treatments for my kids, the first thing that comes to mind is driviing up to Manchester for the best care.

While you're up in NH saving your $150 on your two plasmas, wave to your neighbors who work at the Lowell Best Buy. Oh, and I hear you can get a good house in Nashua real cheap, just remember that you have to send your kids to private elementary school if the're gonna get into Harvard or MIT. And the Beaches in NH are just AWESOME!

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +977 / 2 / -9

I grew up in Cambridge (40 yrs) before I retired I lived in Billerica for about (15 yrs) always shopped in Nashua 15 min away, when your buying a whole car full of sh!t you save quite a bit of money.

There are many good people in Mass but they seem to enjoy the screwing those crooked lying bastards in the State House give them so, they will have to live with it or leave.

12. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Patters it isnt irresponsible, and it isn’t just a Republican thing to want to cut taxes, I think those are the types of generalizations that we as a people need to get away from if we truly want to move forward from these last 10 very sad and polarizing years (8 under GWB and 2 under Obama).

I would actually take almost the opposite view of it and say that it is irresponsible for our government, whether state or federal, to continue to spend, spend, spend. To say from the top that cut taxes is irresponsible denies the fact that there is a spending problem. If in my household there is a shortage of funds on a month to month basis, my first reaction isn’t to go out and look for a second job (ie raise income/taxes), my first reaction is to look at what I am spending my income on and remove the unnecessary expenditures. The government (again all levels) should be held accountable for what it spends our money on. I would agree with you that we as a people, when measures like this come up, need to educate ourselves on what our money is being spent on, so we can have a reasonable, fact based discussion on what we could cut. For instance if item A costs X dollars in MA in a year to produce great results for item A , but we are spending X*2 and the results aren’t twice as good, then you could cut out what ever portion of X*2 easily, as the return on Investment doesn’t justify the added expenditure.

In the last two elections, which included if I am not mistaken 3 ballot questions about cutting taxes, the scare ads come out of the woodwork with the “if you cut taxes schools will close, or roads won’t be fixed, or State Troopers, (who shouldn’t be doing road details anyway), won’t be able to feed their families” and the populace, whether through stupidity or actual fear that those things would happen, didn’t pass them. If we just got rid of waste, in whatever department or budget item it is in, none of those things would have to be cut.

And Joe’s mentality is a perfectly fine mentality to have. Why would anyone volunteer to pay more for something (be it a TV or the Government taxes) than they have to? Because it supports my local community? Listen if Bob’s TV in NH has the TV im looking for the same price, but because of the difference in tax I can save $150 over buying it in my town at Ray’s TV, well better luck next time Ray.

And before I get flamed with the “oh you stupid Republican yada yada yada”. I am not one. I hate Republicans and Democrats just the same. I am however someone who looks for responsibility in my government, fiscally or otherwise. If that is a D value this week, cool, if it is an R value next week, sweet.

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

When taxes are cut on the state level, it is schools, elder care, programs for poor families and care of the disabled that are cut first. It really happens. Not a myth. The myth is that if taxes are cut, corruption, bogus contract processes and kickbacks will be reduced. Those seem to be the last things to be effected.

14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +510 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

So are you trying to say that's a good reason NOT to cut taxes? Because it isn't Wistah! What we need to do is force our politicians to cut where we think is best.

That is a local, state and federal tactic. We tell our politicians to cut taxes, and they think they're cute and say, "Well, if you wanna cut taxes, it's gonna hurt you!" They do it on purpose because we all know there is plenty of waste in which to cut, isn't there?

We need to stop crying (as RW would say)

"Oh, the children!":rolleyes:

15. Drewski

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

My point wasnt that those programs wouldnt be touched wistah. My point was that if there were a situation where a cut could be made which wouldnt reduce services, which does happen and is not a myth.

Example:

Care for the elderly (the best, most complete care) costs $100 a year. However in MA it costs, with corruption, bogus service contracts and kickbacks, we are paying $200 for that same best, most complete care. If you cut elderly care by $100, you would still be affording the best care possible for our senior citizens, while simply removing the waste of it.

I realize it is an over simplied example, but the point is the same. Yes there are cuts to it, but the cuts bring the cost to where it should be. Now if services are cut and make the care not the best, then your point is valid and we should hold our elected officals accountable for it.

It reminds me of a quote in the movie Independance day. The scene when they are at area 51 and the father of Jeff Goldblum states when they are discussing funding for Area 51 states:

"does it really cost $20k for a hammer, $15K for a toliet seat!?!?"

16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +830 / 7 / -2

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

That's garbage Wistah, and even if it were true, who's fault would that be? Your's, since you're for continuously voting in the same corrupt politicians. Firemen making six figures with 19% raises. Cops making $200+k per year. Auntie Zucchini getting a free apartment, and free Mass Health. 69% of the people enrolled in Mass Health Unlimited being illegal aliens. Tens of millions of dollars for a Kennedy Center, that state citizens will end up getting the annual maintenance tab for. 23 years full retirement at the MBTA, with the avg of your top 3 years being the basis of your pension amount. The list goes on, and on, and on....

17. Drewski

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I would add to that Toll Booth workers, where the only job requirement is that you have one working arm to collect the money, yet somehow you can make something in the $70K + ballpark. Flipping burgers at McDonalds requires more skill than taking tolls, yet you make $9/hr at McDs. The waste in this state, and Im sure it occurs all over the place, is crazy.

18. lostjumper

lostjumper Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Any state that continually elects Barney Frank is a joke.

19. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I feel the same way about people who think entire states participate in elections for members of the House.

Senators=everyone in state

House Reps=everyone in district

20. cupofjoe1962

Ratings:
    +126 / 20 / -16

I am quite familiar New Hampshire, I use to own a chalet in North Conway.
    I have not purchased anything in the state since I sold my chalet in 2002.

You have a point with your post.

What really pisses me off is the Unions who want me to pay higher taxes
    and back every democrat under the son while collecting unemployment
    and working under the table.

I am far from perfect, but I do pay my taxes and I have never worked
    under the table while collecting unemployment.