PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bush wants #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with allowing him to wear the number is that you give the guy the idea that he is somehow above the rules. Furthermore if you change the rules for him when he hasn't played a snap in the NFL what rules is he going to think he can change if he actually becomes the phenom people are predicting? Like profootballtalk.com says, the league has already created a monster, but they don't have to make it bigger.

What if having #5 makes him TIGHT? You cannot put a value on tight.

PatsFanInVa said:
What if having #5 makes him TIGHT? You cannot put a value on tight.

Perhaps the numbers on his under eye paint (his zip code I believe) will make up for the tightness loss from his jersey number.

There are plenty of players who don't adhere to the rule and the NFL looks the other way. WRs have to wear 80s until they are all taken and then and only then can they wear teens but they all do it.

Did you know Dlineman aren't supposed to wear 90s unless there are no 60-79 available? Just about every dl in the league wears 90s thse days.

This just in on KFFL:

NFL | League to change uniform number rules
Mon, 15 May 2006 07:35:29 -0700

ESPN reports the NFL has decided to change their policy regarding uniform numbers. No details of the agreement have been disclosed.

Let the Reggie Bush jerseys fly off the shelves.

PatsSox363804 said:
This just in on KFFL:

ESPN reports the NFL has decided to change their policy regarding uniform numbers. No details of the agreement have been disclosed.
Looks like Chad Jackson might get to wear #8 after all. :eek:

PatsSox363804 said:
This just in on KFFL:

Let the Reggie Bush jerseys fly off the shelves.

This is a joke right? Oh, KFFL...guess that's redundant!:rolleyes:

Quick question: other than the idea of determining who's eligible and who isn't, does it really make a difference what numbers players wear? I'm not saying that the NFL should scrap uniform number rules entirely, but it does seem unnecessarily restrictive at times.

Maybe they can have a rule limiting the number of players a team can have wearing 'out-of-range' numbers. Or, perhaps, better still, require charitable donations to do so (say, 5% of your salary).

[BTW--I almost typed "what players numbers wear." Looking at it that way, 54 seems to have picked some fairly good players. ;) ]

ctpatsfan77 said:
Quick question: other than the idea of determining who's eligible and who isn't, does it really make a difference what numbers players wear? I'm not saying that the NFL should scrap uniform number rules entirely, but it does seem unnecessarily restrictive at times.

Maybe they can have a rule limiting the number of players a team can have wearing 'out-of-range' numbers. Or, perhaps, better still, require charitable donations to do so (say, 5% of your salary).

[BTW--I almost typed "what players numbers wear." Looking at it that way, 54 seems to have picked some fairly good players. ;) ]

IMO, the only players it should really matter on are the linemen so you know who is ineligible, other than that it shouldn't matter. I doubt they go that extreme though, they'll probably allow the receivers and halfbacks to share the single digits.

Wouldn't the simplest thing be to have the college rules follow the NFL? Then these kids wouldn't get attatched (or tight) with the wrong numbers???

zippo59 said:
Perhaps the numbers on his under eye paint (his zip code I believe) will make up for the tightness loss from his jersey number.
That zip code thing can not be done as well...rules against personal messages...GONE before even thought of!! The NFL has rules and they would be REALLY stupid to change it for a rookie..

Pats726 said:
That zip code thing can not be done as well...rules against personal messages...GONE before even thought of!! The NFL has rules and they would be REALLY stupid to change it for a rookie..

Although I am curious if he would change the "619" to "504", one of each perhaps?

I'm just amazed that the idiot THEARCHIVES, through his idiocy, was able to create the new "tightness" meme so quickly. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN said this morning that the league will not let him wear it this year but will next year.

nescott said:
ESPN said this morning that the league will not let him wear it this year but will next year.

What the hell is the point of that?

dhamz said:
There are plenty of players who don't adhere to the rule and the NFL looks the other way. WRs have to wear 80s until they are all taken and then and only then can they wear teens but they all do it.

Did you know Dlineman aren't supposed to wear 90s unless there are no 60-79 available? Just about every dl in the league wears 90s thse days.
I don't know about the second one, but the first is incorrect. THere are no retrictions on use of numbers in the teens by WRs.

spacecrime said:
I don't know about the second one, but the first is incorrect. THere are no retrictions on use of numbers in the teens by WRs.

Yes there is.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/index.nsf/Documents/0-jers-nums

All players must wear numerals on their jerseys in accordance with Rule 5, Section 3, Article 3c (see NOTE 1), and such numerals must be by playing position as follows: quarterbacks, punters, and placekickers, 1-19 (and 10-19 for wide receivers if 80-89 are all otherwise assigned); running backs and defensive backs, 20-49; centers, 50-59 (60-79 if 50-59 unavailable); offensive guards and tackles, 60-79; wide receivers and tight ends, 80-89; defensive lineman, 60-79 (90-99 if 60-79 unavailable); and linebackers 50-59 (90-99 if 50-59 unavailable).

Caspir said:
Yes there is.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/index.nsf/Documents/0-jers-nums

All players must wear numerals on their jerseys in accordance with Rule 5, Section 3, Article 3c (see NOTE 1), and such numerals must be by playing position as follows: quarterbacks, punters, and placekickers, 1-19 (and 10-19 for wide receivers if 80-89 are all otherwise assigned); running backs and defensive backs, 20-49; centers, 50-59 (60-79 if 50-59 unavailable); offensive guards and tackles, 60-79; wide receivers and tight ends, 80-89; defensive lineman, 60-79 (90-99 if 60-79 unavailable); and linebackers 50-59 (90-99 if 50-59 unavailable).
That is an old version of the rule. It was changed in 2004

zippo59 said:
Perhaps the numbers on his under eye paint (his zip code I believe)
He generally wore 619 which is an area code in San Diego.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots