PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bush wants #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
WEEI reports this am that Reggie Bush is petitioning the NFL to get #5. Should be interesting to see if he wins this especially as Edgerin was turned down a few years back wanting a single digit number as well. To add a little muscle to his request, he's saying that he'll donate part of the sales to Katrina victims.

I guarantee that he won't get it. He is no more special than any of the other players out there that have tried the same thing. Sure he'll donate money to Katrina, just like he didn't know anything about the house his parents were living in. :rolleyes:

Well ahhh NO!

He can petition all he wants and it won't do him any good. The only way he can get that number is by changing the rules. The rules committee only meets once a year (I think) and that item would have to be put on the table for a vote. So he can whine all he wants and it will fall on deaf ears.

PatsChick87 said:
WEEI reports this am that Reggie Bush is petitioning the NFL to get #5.

I don't believe it. This has nothing to do with baseball. You are making this up.

I say give the guy the number. I do not see what the heck it matters who wears what frankly. I would say the same for any skill player.

I think it's ******ed to say only certain players can wear certain number arbitrarily. I truly don't care!

Last edited by a moderator:
If they let him have #5, then they've got to give Chad Jackson #8, since he's requesting the same thing.

KDPpatsfan said:
I say give the guy the number. I do not see what the heck it matters who wears what frankly. I would say the same for any skill player.

I think it's ******ed to say only certain players can wear certain number arbitrarily. I truly don't care!

i agree, i do not see what the big deal is.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
If they let him have #5, then they've got to give Chad Jackson #8, since he's requesting the same thing.

I'm not sure but didn't they make a change re WR's? I don't know if it went to single digets but wasn't PK #11 last year?:confused:

PatsChick87 said:
I'm not sure but didn't they make a change re WR's? I don't know if it went to single digets but wasn't PK #11 last year?:confused:
PK was #14 when he was here.

The NFL recently made it okay for non-Keyshawn WRs to wear numbers in the 10-19 range. Single digits are still a no-no.

Boston Boxer said:
i agree, i do not see what the big deal is.

As a guess, I'll say it probably has to do with the ref's on the field being able to quickly recognize proper positioning, eligibility etc. Frankly, anything that makes the refs job easier is fine by me!:rolleyes:

KDPpatsfan said:

I like that they restrict certain numbers to certain positions. Because of that, I am not in favor of retiring any player's numbers.

Sorry Reggie, this isn't college. The NFL has rules and doen't let players run around with ridiculous numbers. Next thing you know, you see O-Lineman running around with the #2

The NFL will decline his request and he will wear #25

Don't forget, this is the same league that rejected 49er head coach Mike Nolan's request to wear a suit instead of the league-mandated Reebok (or whatever) gear.

So yeah, I think Bush is going to find this to be a hard sell.

Totally ridiculous for this request...I giuess he is pretty ignotant about the ways of the NFL...totally stupid..and shows more that he thinks he should be "special"...

If he gets #5 he will be tight.

The only RB to wear a sing;e ddigit to date was Paul Hornung. But he was drafted as aQB and played Qb until Lombardi said no. He kept his #5.

The next RB to have a single digit will be M Vick after Schaub takes his job away from him and he becomes a halfback like Hornung.

I say let the kid have his number. He's come out and said that 25% of all of the profits he makes from his jersey sales will go to Katrina relief if he's allowed to have #5 - which would be around half a million bucks based on the initial wave of sales.

We all know him as #5 anyway. There is no downside to letting him have that number, seeing as how the league cares about marketing first and foremost.

THEARCHIVES said:
Sorry Reggie, this isn't college. The NFL has rules and doen't let players run around with ridiculous numbers. Next thing you know, you see O-Lineman running around with the #2

Yea, that'd be just horrible. What a devastating blow to the integrity of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back