Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bush voices regret for macho rhetoric in run-up to Iraq war

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jun 11, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

From the Guardian, without regard some direct quotes of our CIC, perhaps he was lathering up the european bunch.. makes me think that a President should think before he talks.. what a novel idea...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/11/georgebush.usforeignpolicy

To some it may come as too little too late. But setting out on his final trip to Europe as president, George Bush has expressed regret that his rhetoric in the run-up to the war in Iraq may have created the impression that he was a warmonger.

"I think that in retrospect I could have used a different tone, a different rhetoric," Bush told the Times as he flew across the Atlantic on Air Force One.

The phrases he used to win support for the war such as "bring 'em on" and "dead or alive" he said, "indicated to people that I was, you know, not a man of peace."

But that impression, he insisted, was far from the truth.

"One of the untold stories of Iraq is that we explored the diplomacy a lot," he said. "We all wanted to solve this 'disclose, disarm, or face serious consequences' in a diplomatic fashion. After all, I went to the United Nations security council."
  2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Good, he should have done it two years ago.