Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bush takes on the free press for the super secret swift leak, how big of a secret

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Blue Collar, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

That's a great link. I didn't know there was a SWIFT website and magazine! I love how Bush pulls the chain of the right wing. Whatever Bush says they do and support. Some of them are like puppets.
  3. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  4. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What do you think patters, will this be another thread that dies in silence? or will it be exposed via secret pm's:rofl:
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

I watched the clip and went to the Swift website to find the article Oberman refered to talking about cooperating with authorities about abuses of financial system.

Oberman gives the impression this was on the Swift website for anyone to say, in fact if you go to the website, the comment were printed on 6/23/06 AFTER the NYT article in response to the Times article. When these comments were published by the SWIFT org the Times had already exposed the secret. Oberman misleads the viewer into thinking that acknowledging cooperation with authorities was there before the Times story.

He also feigns suprise that Swift has a web site. Swift is a private corporation, is there a corporation of any sort that DOESN"T have a website?
    Oberman in the clip gives the impression that SWIFT was the name of the monitoring program and not a private corporate. Since he is a smarmy newreader I'll asssume he didn't know the difference.

Onto Bush, supposedly 'spilling the beans'. He never mentions SWIFT in the sound bytes. For my own part I had never heard of Swift before the Times story. I always that the Treasury dept and FBI were trying to create money trails of terrorist transactions. I didn't know they were getting data from private corp of international monitary transactiosn ( I assumed they were refering to transactions within the US that are routinely reported to the IRS under Federal regulations.

If there is a Clip of Bush or anyone mentioning private entities they were working with I haven't seen it.

In summary this a misleading report that attemps (successfully in the case of leftist apparently) to create the impression that cooperation between the SWIFT corporation and the US goverment was public knowledge before the NYT article. If this is what passes for journalism from Oberman it is clear why his ratings are almost unmeasurable.

BC you seem to like thes sort of deceptive vids, that try to take comments out of context and create a false impression.

Here are some comments I sent to BC concerning his big Powell Condi clip after reviewing the transcripts of Powell's newsconference.

"I went to the memory hole website to check out the transcript. One of the links was broken the other one went to the press conf with the egyprian guy. But no question about WMD at the press conf transcript on the gov website. 2 possibilitied, the transcript isn' accurate or has been changed, the other is that the video was screwed with. I will guess a error/omission in the transcript.

Now to the context of the 'lie', Powell according to the quote of the question on memory hole was about the issue of lifting sanctions on Iraq. Remember this is 1 month after the administration had taken office. The French, Germans and Kofi were on the take from Saddam, in the food for oil scam. What Powell was asked was:"Answering a question about the US-led sanctions against Iraq, the Secretary of State said:"

So Powell talked to justify to an Arab audinece about keeping the sanctions in place, when pressure was building to remove the sanctions.

"We had a good discussion, the Foreign Minister and I and the President and I, had a good discussion about the nature of the sanctions -- the fact that the sanctions exist -- not for the purpose of hurting the Iraqi people, but for the purpose of keeping in check Saddam Hussein's ambitions toward developing weapons of mass destruction. We should constantly be reviewing our policies, constantly be looking at those sanctions to make sure that they are directed toward that purpose. That purpose is every bit as important now as it was ten years ago when we began it. And frankly they have worked. He has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbors. So in effect, our policies have strengthened the security of the neighbors of Iraq..."

He indicates that the to develop SIGNIFICENT capability had been hampered but was clear that Saddam was seeking the SIGNIFICENT WMD capability. No point would have been served diplomatically to accuse Saddam of having WMD in that setting after being on the job for 1 month.

His answer is very diplomatic, trying to picture this as a LIE is very deceptive, but is to be expected of someone who dislikes this country and it policies , like the 'narrator of this dishonest cherry picked clip. I'm sure M Moore loved this clip though."
  6. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nice spin patsfan 13, You have major skills to redirect the obvious. When bush told the whole world multiple times that the us is tracking terrorist finances, you equate it to bush is only tracking in the us,, OK..
  7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

Let me make it clear so anyone can follow. The NYT revealed a particular process/program with a specific private enterprise. Bush or the corporate partner NEVER mentioned this relationship BEFROE the NYT story.

Oberman produced a depcptive report that implies that the relationship between the SWIFT corporation was public. This is False. He then cherry picked a quote ( oit of context)from an article printer AFTER the NYT story that was answering questions in response to the NYT article. The cideo gave the impression that this information was public all along.

Correct Bush on numerous occasions talked about following money trails he did not reveal how this was being done or that private enterprises were being used.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005
  8. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

Exactly Bush mentions goverment entities not specific private corporations.

Had you heard of the SWIFT corp entity before the Times Story?
  10. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No I haven't. I have heard that every terrorist orginazation in the world changed money distribution due to what bush publicly announced to the world begining just after 911 That 29 countries are currently tracking the money trails of all terrorist through(FATF) (Financial Action Task force)
    They all knew what was happening, hence why they changed their monetary transactions due, to bush Telling the world were watching you, (some secret)
    It looked good for the administration to say the nyt let the big secret out of the bag, to rile up his supporters, when the whole friggen world new, because bush publicly stated it. Spin it any way you want, fact is bush let the secret be known in 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 and in 2006 he whined to rally up his base to fight a non existing secret.
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

patsfans13, it was hardly the leak that the Republican spin machine tried to make it out to be.
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

It is a big the specifics of how were are trying to track terrorist were revealed, an effictive program was comprimised. The terrorist will use this information to change their methods. It will make the job of the people trying to protect us that much more difficult. That's the bottom line. The spin I would maintain is those trying to play cheap gotcha games and trying to trivialize the damage done when they are challenged. This is life and death, not a political game.

I can't speak about spin machines it is certainly part of an ongoing pattern.

The press revealed we were able to tap Al Queda cell phones, they stopped using them.

The press revealed we were intercepting international calls to operatives inside this country

The press revealed we were analysing calling patterns from phone records.

The press have revealed a lot of information that hurts us and helps the terrorist.

Whose side are they on anyway. I am really angriest at the people in goverment who are leaking this information to the press.
  13. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

PF13, you might have to take up debunking BC's politically driven, left wing propaganda, video edited, splice job movies full time. They must be getting desparate:bricks:
  14. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree that the media shouldn't reveal counter-terrorism details.

The issue in this thread was revealed by the bush administration, hence why the terrorist switched monetary changes. And they went on the offensive with the nyt, for what? for something the bush administration revealed 4 years ago, or to rally up the base, akin to flag burning, gay banning and shiavo issues. Bunch of rah rah rah to excite the religiously partisan followers.
  15. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

YOU are religiously faithful to partisan politics, I at least look at both parties with distrust.
  16. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Look at this video pfeil, and explain how this is bullsh-- that bush is not flip flopping on his words regarding the constitution. At some point you have to say ,ya bush is deceptive, unless you do the secret pm thingy to discredit all evidence

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/february2006/030206bushlies.htm
  17. PatsFanInEaglesLand

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

Sure than why did you refer to democrats as WE in another thread? Certainly were quick to come to Hillary Clinton's defense, and only the truest of the true democrats would do that. I really don't care for the new republicans, they are to far left for me, but I fear the alternative.
  18. PatsFanInEaglesLand

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

Sure I guess the president should just stand up and tell the terrorists what they are going to do to try to catch them, yeah so it is deceptive, but that is what you do to catch people who are trying to kill you.
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

The reason you 'go after' the NYT is to prevent future incidents of this sort from the Times or other irresponsible media outlets that endanger American lives.
  20. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have stated I'm a blue collar democrat, and I stated I'm not an avid hillary supporter, and if you're refering to the savage race riot mp3, YA savage is nutz to claim hillary will star race riots across america if she runs. What, you want me to defend savage's claim of race riots, I think thats your job to defend that nut and his outrageous claims.:rolleyes: