Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bush solicits help of Brit Spec Forces in finding Osama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jun 15, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

File this under a slap in the face, after the fiasco in Bora Bora and siphoning troops from Afghanistant to go to Iraq, the CIC has decided to solicit the help of the Brits in finding Osama... if I was a spec forces US soldier would be pissed, we will not allow you do it.. but now will get the Brits to help.. guess he wants his resume to be padded.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,367121,00.html

President Bush, nearing the end of his second term, reportedly has enlisted British special forces to help the U.S. in a final push to hunt down Usama bin Laden, according to the Sunday Times of London.

The newspaper cites unnamed "defense and intelligence sources in Washington and London" who "confirmed that a renewed hunt was on for the leader of the September 11 attacks."

“If he can say he has killed Saddam Hussein and captured Bin Laden, he can claim to have left the world a safer place,” a senior American intelligence source reportedly told the newspaper.

Bush will make his final stop Sunday in Britain — his last on an eight-day European tour. He is scheduled to have dinner with Prime Minister Gordon Brown, before holding private meetings with Brown at his residence. He will also have tea with the queen.
  2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Ummmmm, Don;t see where you are getting any of this. I simply read that Bush is seeking a joint commitment with British troops to go on a covert mission deep into the Fronier region of Pakistan in order to capture or kill Bin Ladin.

He's not "not asking" US special forces and I'm sure this is a joint effort between us and them. They have very well trained SF troops too. Why would any US SF troops be pissed, they have worked exstensively with not only British, but Canadian, Polish, Australian, ect troops at various times through the WoT. It's nothing new. No sure how you are making those conclusions. Where does it say US troop aren't allowed to paticipate?

....... and by Bora Bora, do you mean Tora Bora :confused:
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Tora Bora, got confused with those WWII movies, without regard, it still seems somewhat incongruous that we do not have enough faith in our own troops after they were previously stymied at Tora Bora.. seems to be more about his own legacy than getting Osama. If they had stayed the initial course the probability of capturing him would have certainly been much higher. Instead confusion reigned as it usually does when we fight politically correct wars from the pentagon, instead of on the battlefield.

It does not say they cannot participate, just sounds a though the CIC lacks confidence in their ability.. that is all.
  4. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

5. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I don't understand why he wouldn't have petitioned James Bond for help in the first place. That guy always wins.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +483 / 1 / -9

Harrys News

Page 1
    Osama Captured

Page 1
    Obama Pardons Osama
    Osama & Obama Attend Church
    Obama Osama Uncle Jeremiah Sing Hymns

Osama Obama Michelle Oprah Jeremiah
    Welcomed In Hollywood

God Damn America
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +392 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

The Bush haters get confused. One minute they're upset because Bush won't work with the rest of the world, it's Bush's way or the highway. Then when he works with others it's a slap in the face.

I have no problem with people criticizing Bush - heck I do it. But get a good, consistent criticism and don't do it like this. It's embarrassing to read.
  8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Part of the reason I disagree with your assessment, is because part of your supporting premise is false. You are using Tora Bora failures, to support that Bush doesn't have faith in US SF and is looking towards British SAS troops, and it demonstrates that perhaps your knowledge of Tora Bora is lacking.

Tora Bora was JOINT Special Command operation between US and British SF troops along with anti-Taliban Afghan forces. Failures have since been attributed primarily to strategic failures far above the operation ot the ground troops. Of course, we employed the same strategy we did throughout the earlier Afghan campaign with great success, but it was dependant on the military performance of the less-reliable anti-Taliban forces. I don’t think there have ever been a question about the performance of the US or British SF troops on the ground. Quite the opposite in fact.

He soliciting British participation, primarily because of Bid Laden is suspected of being in Pakistan and any effort would require joint cooperation between the to of us at the risk of totally alienating Pakistan, which clearly is uncomfortable with military operations on it’s soils.

This is simply a reaffirmation of CONTINUED military cooperation. Nothing more.

That’s how I see it.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  9. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

The reality was that in Tora Bora, they had him in the crosshairs, however decided at the last minute to move troops from Afghanistan to Iraq.. the force was weakened, this coupled with the politics of war rendered this effort a failure.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A62618-2002Apr16?language=printer

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/11/magazine/11TORABORA.html?pagewanted=print

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2006/0605.naylor.html