Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bush orders faith-based office

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Mar 9, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

From the Washington Times, GWB adds another layer of gov't this time to reimburse faith based groups giving aid to Katrina areas. I for one find this to be a complete sham, why are we reimbursing folks who would do this anyways and with no boundaries. Picture some group giving out some type of aid or voucher, if you listen to them preach. The recipients are already whining about the red tape they have to go through, or maybe it is a birth of a new consulting firm that will help small churches get cash from the Dept of homeland security.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20060309-123110-2544r.htm

A day before returning to the ravaged Gulf Coast region, President Bush created an office for faith-based initiatives within the Department of Homeland Security to improve disaster recovery efforts.
    But the new office also will have some old business -- reimbursing groups that spent millions on recovery efforts.
    While the new Homeland Security office will give private religious organizations the opportunity to compete for federal dollars and contracts, proponents also say they hope it will streamline efforts to pay back private organizations that already have assisted in Hurricane Katrina recovery efforts.
    "Part of this new office will be to undertake the necessary steps to address any outstanding issues relating to the reimbursement of past hurricane relief efforts," Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said. "These groups were essential and will continue to play a substantial role in the hurricane relief effort."
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

"The Church of America, Inc." Think there's any money in that business?
    ...Did you hear that? I think I just heard the founders rolling over in their graves again. Been hearing that a lot.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Oh my NEM! :eek: I always thought that's where you were headed. NEM speed!