Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bush officials misled public on global warming

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

anyone get the feeling that the Bush Administration is a like a house of cards and someone's about to open the door any moment?

there are so many documents the Bushies are desperately declining to submit or release, it's as if every policy has been a lie or cover-up for some coroporate profiteering...

Waxman and the gang are getting madder and madder as the Bush League does more and more dancing (or, I believe the term here is "shucking and jiving"?)... Yeah, you can pretty much scrap Pelosi's pledge to play fair if Bush does... The Bush League is pretty much challenging the oversight committees... "Bring it on"....

OK George, you asked for it.... Dumb ass...
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Well hopefully you global warming freaks ride bikes every day and never fly airplanes. Oh, and don't breath. Until then, leave me and my car the f*ck alone.
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +133 / 7 / -13

Lying really??????

Bush believe in man made Global warming. This is just clucking by Waxman. One of the comments I found funny was Waxman saying 'impartial' gov scientist were being censored. Impartial? About Global warming when reseasch monies from the gov were being handed out to those will to tow the global warming line?????? LOL :D
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Or there's the two new books Drudge describes here :

Two New Books Confirm Global Warming is Natural; Not Caused By Human Activity
    Tue Jan 30 2007 10:02:32 ET

Two powerful new books say today’s global warming is due not to human activity but primarily to a long, moderate solar-linked cycle. Unstoppable Global Warming Every 1500 Years, by physicist Fred Singer and economist Dennis Avery was released just before Christmas. The Chilling Stars: A New Theory of Climate Change, by Danish physicist Henrik Svensmark and former BBC science writer Nigel Calder (Icon Books), is due out in March.

Singer and Avery note that most of the earth’s recent warming occurred before 1940, and thus before much human-emitted CO2. Moreover, physical evidence shows 600 moderate warmings in the earth’s last million years. The evidence ranges from ancient Nile flood records, Chinese court documents and Roman wine grapes to modern spectral analysis of polar ice cores, deep seabed sediments, and layered cave stalagmites.

Unstoppable Global Warming shows the earth’s temperatures following variations in solar intensity through centuries of sunspot records, and finds cycles of sun-linked isotopes in ice and tree rings. The book cites the work of Svensmark, who says cosmic rays vary the earth’s temperatures by creating more or fewer of the low, wet clouds that cool the earth. It notes that global climate models can’t accurately register cloud effects.

The Chilling Stars relates how Svensmark’s team mimicked the chemistry of earth’s atmosphere, by putting realistic mixtures of atmospheric gases into a large reaction chamber, with ultraviolet light as a stand-in for the sun. When they turned on the UV, microscopic droplets—cloud seeds—started floating through the chamber.

“We were amazed by the speed and efficiency with which the electrons [generated by cosmic rays] do their work of creating the building blocks for the cloud condensation nuclei,” says Svensmark.

The Chilling Stars documents how cosmic rays amplify small changes in the sun’s irradiance fourfold, creating 1-2 degree C cycles in earth’s temperatures: Cosmic rays continually slam into the earth’s atmosphere from outer space, creating ion clusters that become seeds for small droplets of water and sulfuric acid. The droplets then form the low, wet clouds that reflect solar energy back into space. When the sun is more active, it shields the earth from some of the rays, clouds wane, and the planet warms.

Unstoppable Global Warming documents the reality of a moderate, natural, 1500-year climate cycle on the earth. The Chilling Stars explains the why and how.

Take your pick, I guess.
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +133 / 7 / -13

Atmosperhic CO2 is a result of Global warming not a cause look at the Gelogic record over millions of years. When the oceans warm (for whatever reason) mor CO2 is released into the atmosphere. A simple experiment, put a can of soda in hot water then open the soda and see how much gas is released.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 1 / -9

George Bush And His Mother Created Global Warming

Attention:-----All Democrats, Get Rid Of Your Cars, Stop Breaking Wind, Destroy Your Furnace, Kill Your Cow, Don't Fly, Wear A Sweater, Try To Have Only One Bowel Movement A Week, Stop Using Deodorant, Stop Using Soap, Stop Eating Beans, Kill Your Dog, Then Kill Yourself, Save The F-cking World.

Praise Jesus H Christ
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

You have it backwards. The ocean only absorbs CO2 and results in marine deposits of Limestone, the rocks you see on the NY State Thruway and the Himalayas.

Here's a link:
    http://currents.ucsc.edu/04-05/06-13/ocean.asp

From the publication:
    "The oceans have a tremendous capacity to absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. Results from a large international research effort published last year indicated that the oceans have already absorbed nearly half of the carbon dioxide produced by humans in the past 200 years--about 120 billion metric tons of carbon."
  9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

"hey, nevermind facts... let's just keep living gluttonous, sloth-like lives... the "inconclusive" evidence be damned... to hell with the planet... until God comes down and tells me himself, i'm not convinced"
  10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Harry beat me to it. Stole the words -- or some of them, anyway -- right off my keyboard:

It's all George W. Bush's fault. W has been PLANNING for how to make global warming ever since he invented the internet .... I mean, ever since he quit drinking 20-some years ago. It's Bush's fault. He said, and I quote:

"Texas isn't hot enough. We still have armadillos who can walk around my ranch with unpunity in the middle of the hot time of year... during...uh, that would be summer. I want them armor-plated rats fried to a crisp so my dogs don't have to chase them off our front lawn, or what's left of it after Cindy Sheehan's been camped out on it forever. Turn up the heat, already, ya hear!!"

//
  11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

funny...

aren't you the guy who's final ploy is to routinely plead for unity and bi-partisan efforts towards solving a problem? why is it, then, that you consistently ramp up or make excuses for conservative talking points that no one else is buying?... you're the most unapologetic righty on the board, and yet you want to paint a picture of the other side as vindictive and nasty?

this is about staving off a global catastrophie... what you're arguing for benefits nothing but the status quo of gluttonous consumption and corporate profit... at what point, christian, do you show a semblance of concern for your environment?
  12. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Can you overstate your case any more, Press??? Get you skivvies out of a wad, will you!! I have never seen anyone in fifteen years of internet lists who plays the "put down card" the way you do!! Is this what they teach now in jorno School, or are you just an arrogant your-way-or-the highway twat naturally??

Dude, when the elitist Lefty BLOW-HARDS, like John Kerry, ALgore, John Edwards and the Hollywood set, to name only the beginning of the LONG-G-G-G list of them,... anyway, when THEY all turn in THEIR SUVs, THEIR PRIVATE jets, THEIR global jet-setting, to go for lunch in Paris, skiing in the afternoon, and haircuts in California, then maybe -- MAYBE -- they (you, too) will begin to get some credibility. Until then, they are fooling NO ONE. No one has time for frauds who say one thing and do another. Walk the walk, bro. Talk is too cheap.

//
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +321 / 4 / -2

[​IMG]
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i will avoid calling you names, unlike you have once again...

regardless, thank you for ignoring my direct post, and painting another picture altogether... you're excellent at that... where did i put you down? and when do you address the direct challenge that you, IN FACT, ARE always calling for bipartisan unity, yet always in the next breath underscoring the same old CONservative talking points?

i'm trying to understand your argument... is it that until celebs and environmentally conscious liberals start driving Fords, you'll never listen to facts about climate change?... is that what you're honestly holding out for? seriously, tell us what study of fact will ever change your mind?.... or are you just waiting for God?

anyhow, here we are:

Bush Administration Has Pressured Half Of Gov’t Scientists To Downplay Global Warming

A new report presented to the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee by the Union of Concerned Scientists and the Government Accountability Project shows 435 instances in which the Bush administration interfered into the global warming work of government scientists over the past five years. Some other findings of the survey:

– 46 percent of government scientists “personally experienced pressure to eliminate the words ‘climate change,’ ‘global warming,’ or other similar terms from a variety of communications.”

– 46 percent “perceived or personally experienced new or unusual administrative requirements that impair climate-related work.”

– 38 percent “perceived or personally experienced the disappearance or unusual delay of websites, reports, or other science-based materials relating to climate.”

– 25 percent “perceived or personally experienced situations in which scientists have actively objected to, resigned from, or removed themselves from a project because of pressure to change scientific findings.”

James Hansen, the government’s top global warming researcher, has also revealed that the Bush administration tried to prevent him from speaking freely about global warming to the media. In 2004, the administration also had a requirement that “NASA press officers listened in whenever NASA scientists spoke with reporters, either on the telephone or in person.”
  15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Rep. Cooper: White House Barred Negroponte From Saying ‘Global’ And ‘Warming’ In Same Sentence »

During today’s House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform hearing on the political manipulation of climate change science, Rep. Jim Cooper (D-TN) revealed the Bush administration has barred Director of National Intelligence John Negroponte from saying the phrase “global warming.”

Cooper said he recently attended a dinner party at which Negroponte was speaking, and “word slipped through the crowd he was not allowed to utter the words ‘global warming,’ at least not in the same sentence. Apparently, he was allowed to say the word ‘global’ in a separate sentence, and ‘warming’ in a separate sentence, but not together.” Watch it:

wow... Gen. Sutler? Any other directives? Seig Heil!!
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The acceptable phrase for the government this week is "Global climate change".
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +133 / 7 / -13

Oh well time to try to educate the scientific illeterate and leftist about the fallacy of man made Global warming. Before we start a few facts. In past ages the earth has been far warmer that it currently is, there is no evidence it damaged the Global eco system. The climate is not static it is continually changing, this has been true in the past and will be true in the future, whether there are domesticated primates on the planet or not.

Lotsa links and text be forewarned.

From Dialy Tech, Sun responsible for GW?
    http://www.dailytech.com/Bad News for Global Warming Alarmists/article5914.htm

More on the sun and changes it the earths climate:

http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/climate-change/mg19325884.500

Now what is happening in the rest of the Solar system, wonder what the SUV's are doing to the climates on Mars, Pluto and Jupiter:

http://www.nationalsummary.com/Articles/Science_Tech/science_tech__warmings_mars.htm

This from Russian scientist on more atmospheric CO2 being a result of Global warming not a cause.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/archives/story.html?id=eabbe10d-3891-41eb-9ee1-a59b71743bec

18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +133 / 7 / -13

Part 2

BTW is the size of the Glaciers on Antartica really shrinking?

http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO2ScienceB2C/articles/V9/N45/C2.jsp

What if Algore's wildest fantasies are realized and all the ice caps were to melt (we'll ignore the avg temps in Antarctica and the Arctic which virtually preclude the ice caps melting Hint look up the avg temp in Antarctica and figure out how the planet warms up enough to get that figure above 0C?

BTW the followingis from a non commercial site.
    http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/environment/waterworld.html

One thing I've wondered about, Do you think Waxman or Algore have taken a class in Statistical mechanics? Physical Chemistry? Partial differential Equations? Freshman Physics?

My guess is no, but they are experts in generating hot air.
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and you're a genius who's smarter than them all, yet you're pontificating your self-proclaimed intellectual superiority on PatsFans.com.... especially the "verified" pablum from Chris Hitchens and Slate.com... .lol

just like your argument there, you've cherry picked essays you want to believe, and have ignored the other 99% who directly contradict that convenient assertion of yours... hooray!!

again, it's more distortion from the "we know everything" portion of the right that essentially says this:

"let's all ignore climate change data, and continue being fat, gluttonous consumers, protecting coroporate environment-raping profit in the process... to hell with our kids, or our grandkids... we'll all be dead by then anyway....

it's interesting they want us all shivering in fear of the terrorist boogey man using hard-to-fathom reasoning, but at the same time, dismiss us all as "alarmists" over climate change, for which there's MUCH more concrete evidence to be worried about...
  20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +133 / 7 / -13

So which observation do you dispute? How are the domesticated primates affecting the climate on Mars, Jupiter and Saturn? Please enlighten us.

If you can explain why warming on Earth is different than warming throughout the rest of the Solar System then by all means have at it.

BTW where do you get your 99% figure? I have seen no scientifc polls on whatt scientist beliee or don't believe. I also haven't seen an explainations on whay the Sun is causing the warming observed throughout the Solar system but not the warming observed on Earth?

Bluster aren't facts (well maybe to you they are). ;)