Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bush League stalling the grim NIE on Afghanistan. No one surprised.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Sep 24, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Bush administration has ‘no plans’
    to declassify ‘grim’ Afghanistan NIE before the election.

ABC News reports that the Bush administration has “no plans to declassify” the forthcoming National Intelligence Estimate on Afghanistan before the election:

U.S. intelligence analysts are putting the final touches on a secret National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) on Afghanistan that reportedly describes the situation as “grim”, but there are “no plans to declassify” any of it before the election, according to one US official familiar with the process. […]​

According to people who have been briefed, the NIE will paint a “grim” picture of the situation in Afghanistan, seven years after the US invaded in an effort to dismantle the al Qaeda network and its Taliban protectors.

The plan to cover up the “grim” reality of the war in Afghanistan is not surprising given the Bush administration’s history of “selectively declassifying” such reports for political gain.

Seth Jones, an expert on Afghanistan at the Rand Corporation think tank, called the situation in Afghanistan "dire."

"We are now at a tipping point, with about half of the country now penetrated by a range of Sunni militant groups including the Taliban and al Queida," Jones said. Jones said there is growing concern that Dutch and Canadian forces in Afghanistan would "call it quits." ​

2. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Scary stuff man.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +703 / 20 / -30

From another source..

NIE on Afghanistan reportedly 'grim' - UPI.com

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +492 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

We can't win in Afghanistan because there IS nothing to win in Afghanistan and we better get and stay TF out of Afghanistan!:mad:

With the trillions that is our deficit with more to come, who gives a ratsass about Afghanistan?

I am so sick of the lies that hide behind the words "GRIM & DIRE" when spoken by any member of this administration or those appointed by this administration.

Yes Harry, Fukkc Bush the dick-taitor!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +824 / 7 / -2

Are these the same NIE reports that said Iraq was a lost cause? Just checking.

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +824 / 7 / -2

So which is it? Are they making bombs, or are they not making bombs? [​IMG]

7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +492 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Do you or do you not support any increased US military offensive in Afghanistan RW? You wanna just keep ringing up that deficit?

Am I happy with the Iraq "war" because it has succeeded based upon goals I do not agree with? Absolutely not. I could care less if Saddam was still their dictator. Why should I care? I'll challenge anyone on that single question.

One fact we have to accept as a nation is that can't go around the world attacking any country that harbors terrorist activities. We don't have that right legally nor can we afford it financially.

And finally, I think the vast majority of Americans would oppose such a strategy. and let us remind ourselves that our constitution is written so that the will of the people is carried out.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +703 / 20 / -30

If mullen did say this, is the source bad??? Over and over again this is an consistent argument on this board.. if there is veracity to the quote, should it be disregarded due to the source??