Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bush League refuses to condemn Saudi Court's ruling

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Nov 21, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Bush Administration Refuses To Condemn Saudi Court’s Punishment Of Gang Rape Victim

In his second inaugural address, President Bush stridently declared that his administration would not compromise on its demand for basic human rights:

We will persistently clarify the choice before every ruler and every nation: The moral choice between oppression, which is always wrong, and freedom, which is eternally right. America will not pretend…that women welcome humiliation and servitude.​

[​IMG]

Asked to offer the administration’s position on the court ruling, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said on Monday that the administration was “astonished,” but had “nothing else to offer“:

Yesterday, McCormack was asked if the administration’s silence was “driven by a desire not to offend Saudi Arabia as a close ally.” “No, it’s — no, that’s not it at all,” he claimed, but then acknowledged the administration has yet to convey its “astonishment” directly to the Saudis. “I am not aware of any direct contact with the Saudis on this issue,” he said.

2. scott c

scott c On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Bush is an ass kisser for sure.......If he didnt have people to move his mouth and write his speeches he wouldnt be allowed in pubilc......Ive never seen a stupider son of ***** be elected president to a once great country.......what a putts:D

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

he may not be nearly as smart as his handlers, but he certainly does have flawed conviction and religious zealotry to go along with a very powerful pen... and that's even worse....

but back on topic, who's asking them to impede the judicial process in another country? or, as he put it "get involved in specific court cases in Saudi Arabia dealing with its own citizens".... hey, Bush League! all we're hoping you do is publicly and sternly condemn it, not just say "we're all shocked... (but) i have nothing further to offer"...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 8 / -8

cf the U.N.'s condemnation of Israel for, among other things, existing.

At every opportunity the U.N. condemns Israel for ills both great and small; but where is the U.N. condemnation of the Saudi support for rape, not to mention the oppression of women embodied in more everyday indignities (for example, the right to drive, the right to be in the presence of male friends, the right to dress yourself...?)

Where is your outrage at this august body?

I for one believe the U.N. is a necessary body, and possibly a "way forward" at least in principal. But we all know how the world goes 'round, and it ain't by solar power. Well, actually, it sort of is, in terms of why we're in orbit, but I meant the colloquial sense of the phrase.

As always, we don't want to offend the Saudis. But the US has no problem, for example, slamming Israel for "human trafficking" - when in fact the state of Israel works with the U.S. to fight[ this problem, whereas the Saudi state is the author of the Shari'a based Saudi war on women.

By the way, I know you're about to mention that we "need" the Saudis to show up in the little party Bush and Rice are throwing in Washington for the Israelis and Palestinians, and that therefore, gang-rapes in Saudi Arabia and the Saudi authorities' reactions are being ignored because of Israel... so don't keep us in suspense, get around to the part where it's Israel's fault.

Thanks,

PFnV

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

What will truly be astonishing is if Bush doesn't say something very soon. What can he possibly be thinking? Out of curiosity, have Coulter, Limbaugh, O'Reilly, etc. come down hard on the Saudis and criticized the Bush administration?

6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

wow, guy... are you talking to me here?

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

No...he's using yet another chance to whine about Israel and how the world hates Israel and how Israel has something to do with this court decision in KofSA, and how Israel is Israel and how Israel is not as bad as everyone else.....

Give it a friggin rest! You are inviting criticism of Israel when it isn't necessary. Do you wake up in the morning and think about the Chosen Nation of God before you open your eyes? JEEZIZ!

Anxiously awaiting your next well thought-out and cogent defense of Israel and accusations of anti-Semitism.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

I would like to see the Muslim World CONDEM IT.

I would like to see Hollywood condem 9/11

I would like to see the Auntie Pelosi Gang condem Beheading's on public TV

Arabs are Muslims

:bricks:

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

actually, if you actually read the links i provided in the original post, you would see that it is trying to do just that...

UPDATE: The Muslim American Society Freedom called the court ruling “a clear violation of the compassion and mercy taught by the religion of Islam.”​

10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +569 / 8 / -8

1. of course I'm talking to you PC. You managed to make 9/11 about Israel; why would I think you wouldn't go there given the immediate, proximate attack angle available to you? There is a mideast peace summit planned in Washington. We want the Saudis there. That's a good deal more than the locals usually need.

2. Oh my bad, Wistah! And in fact, in this particular thread I got ahead of the curve. As to what you perceive about my "whining about Israel," I'm glad to stop defending Israel when the remainder of the board stops selectively attacking Israel. I've never used "the chosen Nation of God" as a phrase on this board, and the sarcastic use of the phrase is noted for what it is, a slur. I love how we can go from "anti-Israel isn't anti-semitic," to "anti-Israeli-lobby isn't anti-semitic," to "anti-influential-Jews isn't anti-semitic," to "what do you wake up and think about the Chosen Nation of God before you open your eyes," which I am sure is not anti-semitic either.

Oh, and then there's the argument that "all anti-Israeli comment is immediately silenced by the mainstream media."

And if I counter that argument on this forum?

"Silence!"

3. Harry, you're amusing, but not to be taken seriously. On the rare occasion when we (gasp!) appear to see eye to eye, you immediately find a way to infuse a decent point with some kind of racism or xenophobia. Guys like you make it easy for guys like me to remember why we seem condemned to tolerate anti-semitism on the far left.

4. Now that's worth posting, PC... there's a great deal of American Arab and American Muslim condemnation of terrorism, and yet as a society we tar "them" with the same extremist brush.

PFnV

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

But of course they did, they are covering their a$ses, that is the last you will hear from them unless the whole story blows up into a "big deal"

12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

'immediate, proximate attack angle?' ... lol... i don't know how you think, so for you to ask why i hadn't yet said something that you insist i must somehow be thinking, well, wow..... but, it follows a pattern of profound strawman argument strategy such as we're seeing from you... whereby you create a position for your opponent as fact that doesn't really exist at all...

i know about Annapolis, but your assertion here of injecting some tangent regarding perceived contempt for Israel never for a moment crossed my mind... sorry to disappoint you...

13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

the only "of course" here is the fact that you didn't bother to read the link before running with the notion that 'the muslim world' didn't condemn it...

now you're punting...

14. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What does Israel have to do with the thread, again? I'm still not clear on that.

I only made the statement, "what do you wake up and think about the Chosen Nation of God before you open your eyes," to point out the stretch you made to bring up UN condemnation of Israel as if it had anything to do with the thread. You seem obsessed with the subject of Israeli victimhood sometimes - even when it isn't germain to the conversation.

What is anti-Semitic about that statement, anyway? Isn't there a claim by all biblicists, Christian and Jewish, that Israel has some ind of cosmic special status among nations of the world. Do I have to issue references backing that up? Do you not think it has influenced US foreign policy (even slightly) in the last 50 years? C'mon! You're wicked smaht so I know you know that I know that you know what I'm talking about and it has nothing to do with my feelings about Jews, which are personally nothing other than neutral except for the fact that I think religious people are a bit nuts.

15. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +569 / 8 / -8

Well then, my sincerest apologies, PC. How refreshing. (Who got to you? Perle? Nofziger? Just kidding.)

PFnV

16. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +569 / 8 / -8

Okay I'm standing down mainly because of the triptophan. I think I pissed you off and you're annoyed, and that's that, and the form of the off-pissing was such that you blurted what could be seen as pretty nasty stuff, if the quote's beaten to a pulp.

Right. Here's the thing... If this concept of a "biblicist" is what I think it is -- some species of biblical literalist, fundamentalist, or whatever -- I just ain't one of 'em... so I think it really has more to do with the fact I'm Jewish, but then again, I am in the middle of all these discussions on Israel, and everybody knows that I am Jewish. Add that up, and, well, if I get spirited, I suppose the blurting I elicit might be likely to take on a certain cast. So I'm gonna blame us both, and admit I'm a dick at times in the hopes that I don't push that button again.

This in no way guarantees I won't push your buttons in the future.

PFnV

17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

Gee it's great to hear that, could you tell me where I can find it I'd love to read about it I have looked everywhere and can't find a thing on it...........Thanks

When Arab Muslims "Lash" a women because she was raped I would consider that an act of "terrorism", I also consider stoning, amputation, and beheading terrorism all commited by "Muslims" we all know that every Muslim on the planet isn't a f-cking savage like these bastards so you would think a few of them would make themselves heard, I keep hearing that they are out there, well where the hell are they.
    After hearing about some of the butchery we hear about these scum bag bastards in this day and age if I was a Muslim I would turn my rug in and become a Morman.
    :bricks:

18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Wow, the MAS condemned it. That's refreshing.

You'd think that the recent Armenian genocide issue would have made some people understand how the world & public condemnation work. I guess not. Were it up to me I'd invest in hydrogen fuel cells, get them to work, and flash a giant middle finger to all the SP's in the ME.

19. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I come here to get my buttons pushed (politically speaking). I'm in no way offended and did not try to call you a biblicist.

Happy holidays. I enjoy debating with you on any subject as you're always classy and smart. It's good for my tiny rotten brain.

Happy Tanksgiving, brother.

20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0