Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bush is right, the economy is very good

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by MosiT, Apr 30, 2008.

1. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

but it all depends on who you are.

Shell profits up 25 pct on record high oil prices

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iftQ-7-T9grM4N1CDCNwSxyYla7Q

BPs first-quarter profit jumps 63 percent

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/BUSINESS/04/29/britishpetroleum.profit.ap/

The next time you put gas in your car remember who is in charge and who the buck stops with. But in this case it doesnt stop with Mister Bush, instead he just passes it on to his oil cartel buddies.

Yup the economy is good if your name is Mobil or Shell or Exxon but certainly not Joe Average Citizen.

Bend over Americans it aint over yet.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's worth noting, NEM, you giant sack of hateful gas--that Shell is a Dutch company "Royal Dutch Shell" that operates world wide in many forms, including solar energy, and BP...well BP would be BRITISH PETROLEUM.

You know, British. As in "not American".

3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

So you by into their commercial spots about being green. And their utmost concern for the enviorment?:rofl:

4. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Another sign that ahh, Good times are here. :rocker:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080429/ap_on_bi_ge/cashing_out_the_attic

Americans unload prized belongings to make ends meet

NEW YORK - The for-sale listings on the online hub Craigslist come with plaintive notices, like the one from the teenager in Georgia who said her mother lost her job and pleaded, "Please buy anything you can to help out."

Or the seller in Milwaukee who wrote in one post of needing to pay bills — and put a diamond engagement ring up for bids to do it.

Struggling with mounting debt and rising prices, faced with the toughest economic times since the early 1990s, Americans are selling prized possessions online and at flea markets at alarming rates.

To meet higher gas, food and prescription drug bills, they are selling off grandmother's dishes and their own belongings. Some of the household purging has been extremely painful — families forced to part with heirlooms..........

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

I have to take issue with this article. I understand that some people truly do have it rough. However, a lot of people out there only have themselves to blame for their financial situation. The MSM loves to play the sensationalist card, and post stories like plates being sold for medicine. Please. They should be printing articles about how wasteful, and irresponsible people are. I'm sure lots of these people have cell phones with unlimited texting plans, HBO, PS3, $130 sneakers, a leased car etc. Obviously, as I said, some people are genuinely in need, but others should learn to plan for more difficult times, and be more prudent with their money.

6. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

RW you know that i have posted that many times. I.E. That the average shmuck is to absorbed in getting the latest goodies what ever they have to do to get them. To be honest I've painted my-self into a corner here. I was to hasty in putting that article up because I didn't think about the fact that many of these people over extended themselves and are paying the price. But i don't think at this point in time its all their fault. The economy isn't doing as well as Bush tries to portray it. They could have kept up their life style for awhile and eventually flamed out, But its the massive amount of defaults on mortgages and credit cards all at once that makes me take notice.

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Oh, I wasn't refering to it being posted. You know I love ya pal. You're as down to earth as anyone in here. I was speaking only to the underlying theme of the article. That all the people in the country who are having financial difficulty, are selling plates & engagement rings because food costs rose.

8. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Yeah RW I had a momentary lapse of reason there. Thanks for waking me up. ;)

I went back and read the WHOLE article,I had to reposted it because it wouldn't come up the way I had it. And yes its full of people that are trying to dump all kinds of superfluous possesions. I even read about an R.N. who couldn't get a job. :confused: But I'm sure there a a lot of people that are good about spending wisely that are hurting because the prices of food and fuel have risen so dramaticaly in the last year.

9. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I won't accuse you of being NEM Mosi, but you sure do like to make stuff up like NEM did! Did W recently say the economy is "very good?" No he did not. Here's a recent statement from him:

"We're not in a recession," Bush said as he concluded a two-day summit here with Mexican President Felipe CalderĂłn and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper. "We're in a slowdown. We grew in the fourth quarter of last year. We haven't [seen] first quarter growth statistics yet. But there's no question we're in a slowdown. And yeah, people are concerned about it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/04/22/ST2008042201834.html

So basically he is saying the economy is not doing that great, but he's not going to call it a recession BECAUSE IT DOES NOT FIT THE DEFINITION OF A RECESSION.

10. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I want to know how MosiT feels about Josh McDaniels and Charlie Weiss.

11. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I asked "Ellis Hobbs" about that and he was able to give an even-handed answer, so that may not get you anywhere!

12. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Propaganda BS at it's highest level.

13. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Where did I say that, reflexblue? Stop putting words in my mouth--although you do seem to be good at that of late.

14. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You know Ellis Hobbs? What kind of guy is he off of the field?

15. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah yeah, I should have said the poster that named himself Ellis Hobbs.

16. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

17. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Shell" that operates world wide in many forms, "including solar energy". A.PAUL

Thats where it came from. Although I admit looking at it at 4 pm I guess I did use a little latitude. :rolleyes:

18. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

http://www.shell.com/

http://www.shell.com/home/content/a...es_hydrogen/renewables_hydrogen_07112006.html

19. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It was almost a direct quote from their site. My point was it's foolish (fuelish?) to think that these companies are only profiting off the US consumer when they're world wide businesses.

And it's prudent for an energy company to begin looking at alternatives. Gives them a leg up for the future, don't you know.

20. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

what do you propose as a solution?