Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bush Flip Flops will give Guantanamo Detainees Geneva Rights...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Sep 6, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +844 / 27 / -33

Well the ol flip flopper is at it again, first he says one thing then changes his mind, sign of a weak willed leader... these are the folks that called Kerry names, never seen anything like it.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=2400470

Sept. 6, 2006 — ABC News has learned that President Bush will announce that high-value detainees now being held at secret CIA prisons will be transferred to the Department of Defense and granted protections under the 1949 Geneva Conventions. It will be the first time the Administration publicly acknowledges the existence of the prisons.

A source familiar with the president's announcement says it will apply to all prisoners now being held by the CIA, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the Sept.11 attacks, and senior al Qaeda leader Ramzi Binalshibh.

The source says there are "about a dozen" prisoners now being held by the CIA.

Until now, the U.S. government has not officially acknowledged the existence of CIA prisons.

The Bush administration has come under harsh criticism for its handling of detainees captured in the U.S.-led military campaign to root out al Qaeda terror cells abroad.

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

How is tranferring prisoners a flip flop. To the best of my knowledge the terrorist have been treated within the parameters of the Geneva convention. Although under the Geneva conventions since they are non uniformed conbatants they aren't covered inder the rules of the Convention.

If you want flip floppers look to the people who voted to authorize the use of force in Iraq and now try to aviod responsibility for their votes by claiming hey were lied to when they had access to the same intel the President had.

First the left claims that Bush is unwilling to comprimise and now he's a flip floppers. ROTFLMAO

How weak, how liberal.

3. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

To the best of "your" knowledge? So, whats your rank? Last I read, everyone defending Bush was denying that there were secret prisons.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +921 / 7 / -3

I don't view this as a flip flop. A flip flop is a criticism given to a change in position for political gain. Furthermore, I can't see how granting rights, a decision that is not his to decide, could be viewed as a flip flop. Remember these issues have been a question of legality. There is argument on each side as to whether or not liberties and rights apply. This decision, if true, would be a compromise of beliefs in order to reach a settlement of differences. I happen to think even these loosers deserve some form of due process.

As for your point about those who voted for the war patsfan, I completely agree. Typical bum politicians on both sides. I even blame the public. The public was for action, then all of a sudden, the going gets tough, and they are against it. HA! It's fricken war, you all asked for it, now you've got it. What else did people expect?

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +921 / 7 / -3

Dude, there have always been secret prisons, and there always will be. We have them, the Brits have them, Iran has them, the Russians and chinese have them. They've always existed and they always will.

6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh really..? Like whom..? Exactly who has been denying that there were secret prisons...? I've seen people who support the idea of having such prisons, but I don't see many people denying they existed...

7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't see any of this as a "flip flop". A series of lawsuits - initiated by such liberal advocacy groups as the ACLU - have weakened the President's ability to protect and defend the United States of America. So the President is trying to do the best he can to work within the confines of the law while still achieving the goal at hand.
    I think the textbook definition of a weak willed leader is a man who says "I voted for X - before I voted against it." Talk about gutless pandering :rolleyes:

8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

The 'secret' prisions were common knowledge, where have you been? That eh goveremnt ;offically' didn't acknowledge the prisons, SO WHAT? That was a political (international ont domestic).

This is a war not a tea party. The President is charged with protecting the country, this isn't a highschol debate or a tv talk show where everyone plays gotcha. Grow up.

9. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Oh boy, I get a lecture from "a high ranking official" to the best of my knowledge. The president is doing a "heck of a job" of protecting our country. Maybe we can invade Mexico next time.

10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

I listened to Bush's speech. He is introducing legislation to authorize as per the Supreme court ruling. He also read what the Geneva convention said about 'torture', the wording is vague and ambigious. He wants congress to legislativly define what interrogaters can and cannot do to get info from detainees. The legislation will also prevent our soldiers/intel guys who follow the congressional dictates from being sued by the terrorist.

This will be fun. the ACLU asked the courts into area that had been left to the executive for 200+ years, the court weighed in. Now confress will have to go on the record and vote on how we handle captured terrorist.

Let the flip flopping commence. The dems will hate being put on the reocrd with their votes on legislation. Now we will see who supports the WOT.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +921 / 7 / -3

It's too late for that, incase you haven't noticed, Mexico has already invaded us.

12. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Good one, lol.

13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Anybody got any Lysol? The smell of Republican desperation in this thread is just a bit too strong for my tastes.

14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

Should be interesting. Bush is intorducing proposals that will force the dems to go on the record as to how they wwill deal with terrorist. Plus it is the 5th yr anniversaty of 9-11 with a number of shows on the subject.

The dems may be about to get Roved again.

Historically (6th year of a presidency) the dems should gain 10-15 house seast and 4-5 in the Senate.

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +844 / 27 / -33

From your boy Drudge:

BUSH REVERSES:AL QUAEDA TO GET GENEVA CONVENTION RIGHTS

Just spewing the vitriol from your boy and #1 honored right winger, Matt Drudge, so I guess the flip flop must be right...

16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

Well if you had listened to what Bush said, rather than spinning, Bush said he was doing what the Supreme Court instructed him to do. Do you have a problem with that?

I trust my own ears more than any report. ;)

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +844 / 27 / -33

That is the point most of what is posted on this board is spin and depends on what side you support.... not only here but on most web sites and on the talk shows... found it interesting that Drudge would phrase it this way.

18. Real World

Ratings:
    +921 / 7 / -3

Again, I don't see where there is a flip flop here. Bush does not have the final say as to how these loosers are treated. Incase most of you haven't noticed, there have been court cases, and even a Supreme Court ruling, regarding these matters of enemy combatants & treatment. I think he realizes that the courts may prove to be less friendly than he'd hoped for. He may be moving to a path where he can gain the most ground for his position. Personally, I feel that all human beings deserve rights. However, I don't feel that terrorists should recieve the protections afforded by the constitution. Furthermore, they shouldn't recieve the full protections of the Geneva convention either. I think the UN (lol) should stup up and set up a set of rules for terrorists rights.

19. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If Bush wasn't a flip flopper he would have just issued another one of his signing statements and abrogated the Supreme Court's judgement. What's good for one 'lesser' branch of the government is good for the other 'lesser' branch.

However, he knows its too close to November to affect the Congressional races so he's moved on to legacy mode. He's trying move his presidential legacy from 'most closest to Hitler' to anything else. He won't succeed.