Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bush Declares war on Teleprompters

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by CrazyDave, Jul 14, 2009.

1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Guess you whackos are'nt the only whackos obsessed with teleprompters.
    Do you see them in your sleep?
    If we could only get rid of the teleprompters, the country would be awesome again.
  3. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You are really stretching to make a point...consider who is the biggest complainer about the teleprompter use for a moment and then see why nobody bothered to reply.

Basically, nobody else gives a damn or they know that every one of the Presidents and high ranking officials uses one when they make important speeches...
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Who is the biggest complainer about the teleprompters?

I hadn't heard people b!tch about it until Obama. Graze this forum if you don't believe me.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  5. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ain't it NEPatriot who does all the complaining about the teleprompters?

I believe you on that, it's a non-issue. I pointed out elsewhere that it's in plain sight for anyone to see that they all use them...almost always before/after a speech when they go from a close in shot to a farther out shot you can clearly see the mirror and stand right in front of the President...
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

yeah...I recall Reagan being the first I saw use the reflective one as a kid, and being amazed at technology....

http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/speechgfx/reagan-parliament3.jpg
  7. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

9. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

totally.....and its been an accepted aspect of speeches for years...that is, until recently.

My personal fav is the 'earpiece' the used to have for W, they had to feed him lines.

YouTube - Bush's Earpiece Mishap

But lets be honest for a moment. the pres doesn't write his speeches etc. He is a handled man.

Its just an extension of that.
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

In part it depends on the speech and the input the Pres wants to have on that speech. They all use the teleprompter. It's proven technology, albeit a technology that may be prone to occasional mishaps and glitches.

For a long time, the speech a pres gives to a large local Legion hall almost certainly was wholly written by his staff. The speech he gives on what one or the other of us thinks is a huge issue, perhaps likewise. The speech a president gives on a major policy issue, that's high on his own agenda? You better believe he's got out the First Pen, and doing a First Markup, because he doesn't want this word, but does want that word, and hates the whole anecdote on page 3... etc. ...if he's an engaged president, at least. I would not be surprised to hear that George II barely touched his speeches. I think Reagan probably had a light hand, and George I, Clinton, Carter, Nixon, and Obama probably marked (mark) speeches up actively. Just guesses based on personality and level of engagement.

(i.e., Nixon and to a lesser extent Clinton had some paranoia, so I don't expect them to rely on their writers; George I, Carter, and Obama seemed/seem genuinely interested in the details of their policies, as opposed to George II and Reagan.)