Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bush Caves in to Turkey - Opposes "Genocide" Legislation

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Oct 10, 2007.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Disappointing to see the President of the United States kowtow to an "ally" who is anything but. Although I have to admit, it is less disappointing and less surprising than when the ADL (a group I normally support 100%) did the same.

Turkey reminds me of Iran discussing the Holocaust... "Oh, it wasn't so bad... it was war... there were casualities on all sides... they are exaggerating their claims... it didn't happen the way historians say it did..." etc.

While I could never agree with such a move, I could actually understand it politically speaking if we got some reciprocation from Turkey - in otherwords, tone down the rhetoric and the activity along the Kurdish/Iraqi border. But, for some reason, I have no faith that there will be any reciprocation. And how dare they threaten us with almost a type of extortion...? To quote the Turkish Prime Minister: "I have been trying to warn the (U.S.) lawmakers not to make a historic mistake." Who the f*ck does this ********* think he is to warn us..?!?

We should remind those miserable ingrates that the only reason they ain't all speaking Russian right now is because of the United States.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2007/10/10/bush_urges_defeat_of_genocide_bill/

WASHINGTON --Just hours before a crucial vote, President Bush strongly urged Congress on Wednesday to reject legislation that would declare the World War I-era killings of hundreds of thousands of Armenians a genocide.

Turkey made a final direct appeal to U.S. lawmakers to reject the resolution. The U.S. vote comes as Turkey's government was seeking parliamentary approval for a cross-border military operation to chase separatist Kurdish rebels who operate from bases in northern Iraq. The move, opposed by the United States, could open a new war front in the most stable part of Iraq.

On Wednesday, hundreds of Turks marched to U.S. missions in Turkey to protest the bill. In Ankara, members of the left-wing Workers' Party chanted anti-American slogans in front of the embassy, the state-run Anatolia news agency reported. A group of about 200 people staged a similar protest in front of the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul, private NTV television said. Anatolia quoted a party official as saying that the "genocide claim was an international, imperialist and a historical lie."

The basic dispute involves the killing of up to 1.5 million Armenians by Ottoman Turks around the time of World War I, an event widely viewed by genocide scholars as the first genocide of the 20th century. Turkey denies that the deaths constituted genocide, says the toll has been inflated, and insists that those killed were victims of civil war and unrest. (Gee... sound like anyone we know...?)

2. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

I bet the President of Iran sides with Bush on this one. I smell a deal here with the Turks and Iraq.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Bush administration urges Congress to reject legislation on ‘genocide’

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21221278/

WASHINGTON - President Bush strongly urged Congress on Wednesday to reject legislation that would declare the World War I-era killings of hundreds of thousands of Armenians a genocide, saying it would do “great harm” to relations with Turkey, a key ally in the Iraq war.

what is his definition of "genocide"?

Thsi man is unreal...he must be a renegade robot from the planet "Wrong"

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

Re: Bush administration urges Congress to reject legislation on ‘genocide’

The "compassionate conservatism" makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, do not want to make any political enemies now do we.. after all where will we fuel our jets on bombing runs in the ME???

5. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Perhaps, but even then I don't like the fact that Turkey is essentially extorting the United States into joining them in their denial of the atrocities from the early to mid 1910's. It is disappointing to see such gutlessness on the part of the President (and complete denial of history).

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Yeah but it's politically convenient to deny the obvious. It's not much different than what happened in Rwanda when genocide was clearly happening, but the powers that be wouldn't label it as such.

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

To show what a flip flopper he is and how political expediency is the order of the day and not conscience, in 2000 he said the following, but he was chasing votes then:

http://www.anca.org/press_releases/press_releases.php?prid=60

The twentieth century was marred by wars of unimaginable brutality, mass murder and genocide. History records that the Armenians were the first people of the last century to have endured these cruelties. The Armenians were subjected to a genocidal campaign that defies comprehension and commands all decent people to remember and acknowledge the facts and lessons of an awful crime in a century of bloody crimes against humanity. If elected President, I would ensure that our nation properly recognizes the tragic suffering of the Armenian people." (George W. Bush 2-19-2000)