PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bush a possible Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOWAKJOE

On the Roster
Reaction score
Just reading a article from NFL Draft Forecast by Jack Reed. Long article but here is the the highlight of it.

The Patriots and Broncos will be teams to watch on draft day. The Patriots stockpiled picks from last years draft and could look to unload them for a premier RB in Bush. Brady & Bush could surpass Manning & Co. as the NFL's most explosive offense. The Patriots, with 2 3rd, 4th, and 5th, round picks could unload many picks on the Texans in the middle rounds and put together an attractive package for Houston. Chances are they will hang on to their picks and draft a RB in the 2nd-4th round range. Denver is a RB factory, with two first round picks, and making only two off-season additions, Terrell Owens and Reggie Bush, to a championship caliber team could push them past the rest of the AFC. In either case, the Texans would pick first around 21st or 22nd and add the best available talent, probably WR Sinorice Moss, CB Tye Hill, or DE Mathais Kiwanuka. If they traded with Denver they could add another 1st rounder with OT Marcus McNeill, LB D'Qwell Jackson, or WR Chad Jackson. The Texans would draft similar to the other models in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and build a young nucleus.

So Belichick is going to trade all of his day one picks for one terribly overpriced player. I wonder what in Belichick's history has led the author to that conclusion.

The Broncos have a habit of taking late round RBs and making them all-pros. Again, trading 5-6 picks for one unproven player who'll wreck your salary cap is something bad teams do.

All for a guy who might be no better than Bryan Westbrook. This might be the worst draft analysis I've ever seen.

I really like Bush and view him as a Barry Sanders with more speed. But to give up 5 or 6 picks in the first four rounds does not look like good value. And I'm sure Houston will ask for next years 1st rounder as well.

lol is this guy serious? i love reggie, but the price starts at our first/ second/ third rounder this year, along with asante samuel...but reggie is a once in a lifetime player.... it would leave us with a lot of holes and not a lot of flexibility to do anything about them, idk if id do it

mavfan2390 said:
lol is this guy serious? i love reggie, but the price starts at our first/ second/ third rounder this year, along with asante samuel...but reggie is a once in a lifetime player.... it would leave us with a lot of holes and not a lot of flexibility to do anything about them, idk if id do it

How do you know Reggie is a once in a lifetime player? I don't think he's any different than Raghib Ismail, Desmond Howard, or any other "can't miss" player who succeeded by being so much faster and more athletic than his competition. Those guys tend to become role players in the NFL, when some linebackers are suddenly as fast as you are. Add that to the USC hype machine getting cranked up, the national exposure of an almost three time NCAA champion, and a great offensive line, and ........

I wish him well, but I really think he's going to be somewhere between Chad Morton and Brian Westbrook, not somewhere between Marshall Faulk and Gale Sayers.

dryheat44 said:
How do you know Reggie is a once in a lifetime player? I don't think he's any different than Raghib Ismail, Desmond Howard, or any other "can't miss" player who succeeded by being so much faster and more athletic than his competition. Those guys tend to become role players in the NFL, when some linebackers are suddenly as fast as you are. Add that to the USC hype machine getting cranked up, the national exposure of an almost three time NCAA champion, and a great offensive line, and ........

I wish him well, but I really think he's going to be somewhere between Chad Morton and Brian Westbrook, not somewhere between Marshall Faulk and Gale Sayers.

I concur

And also, I wonder how he'd hold up playing outdoors in the winter months instead of southern California in autumn...

If Bush falls to #21 we wil grab him. But that is not going ot happen.

So, if on draft day, you look out of your window and see a cow fly bye, then you know we traded up to get him.

I would love to have Reggie Bush and I think he will become a great player, but the fact is we won't be getting him. Moving from 21 to 1 would cost us far too much, especially considering how good these top 3 prospects are. It isn't like last year when Alex Smith was the top overall pick. The pick is more valuable this year. Plus if you look at a draft value chart the first overall pick is worth 3000 and 21 is worth 875 or something like that. If we traded everyone of our picks it still wouldn't have equal value.

If you can trade up to get Reggie Bush, you do it. He's a once in a lifetime player.

drewdagreat said:
If you can trade up to get Reggie Bush, you do it. He's a once in a lifetime player.
Exactly. I would go crazy if we got him. This article's getting me pumped, lol. But I seriously doubt we do it, the price is just too high.

drewdagreat said:

Or, to put it another way, he's an prospect who might be a salary cap cancer for the next decade, single-handedly sinking the Patriots into mediocrity or worse.

I haven't watched every USC game the past two years, and probably less than half of them. However, never once did I say, "Man, that Bush is going to set the NFL on fire. He's a once-in-a-decade player". Not once. I'm not sure he was the best RB on his own team.

I actually think Peterson from OU will be a much better pro.

Bush will be scary running back kicks and out of the backfield. But he does not have the size or the strength to be a full-time NFL RB. If the Texans can not protect Carr, how well do you think they can open holes for Bush. Let's face it the competition in the PAC-10, is not even close to the NFL. Look for a RB out of the SEC, they seem to have the most sucess in the NFL for some reason.

I can not see any scenario in which BB sells his draft board to move up to #1. Overall the #1 pick is a curse, not only are you the worse team in the NFL, you always usually have to take a player that you is going to take a huge sigining bonus, and usually does not live up to the hype.

Here's the last few #1 overall picks. Would you have sold your entire draft for any of these players?
2005 (1) ALEX SMITH QB UTAH
2004 (1) ELI MANNING QB MISSISSIPPI
2003 (1) CARSON PALMER QB USC
2002 (1) DAVID CARR QB FRESNO STATE
2001 (1) MICHAEL VICK QB VIRGINIA TECH
2000 (1) COURTNEY BROWN DE PENN STATE
1999 (1) TIM COUCH QB KENTUCKY
1998 (1) PEYTON MANNING QB TENNESSEE
1997 (1) ORLANDO PACE OT OHIO STATE
1996 (1) KEYSHAWN JOHNSON WR USC
1995 (1) KI-JANA CARTER RB PENN STATE
1994 (1) DAN WILKINSON DT OHIO STATE
1993 (1) DREW BLEDSOE QB WASHINGTON STATE
1992 (1) STEVE EMTMAN DT WASHINGTON
1991 (1) RUSSELL MARYLAND DT MIAMI (FLA.)

FreeTedWilliams said:
Bush will be scary running back kicks and out of the backfield. But he does not have the size or the strength to be a full-time NFL RB. If the Texans can not protect Carr, how well do you think they can open holes for Bush. Let's face it the competition in the PAC-10, is not even close to the NFL. Look for a RB out of the SEC, they seem to have the most sucess in the NFL for some reason.

Funny you mention that. About three years ago on this board, I listed every running back in the NFL by college, and the SEC was overwhelmingly in the lead. Something like one-third of all RBs.

It serves mention that Ditka traded his entire draft to get Ricky Williams. Four years later, they decided that they liked an injury prone Deuce McAllister better.

drew4008 said:
Exactly. I would go crazy if we got him. This article's getting me pumped, lol. But I seriously doubt we do it, the price is just too high.

Seriously. I probably would give up my whole first day for him(maybe save one of the third rounders).

drewdagreat said:
Seriously. I probably would give up my whole first day for him(maybe save one of the third rounders).

that wouldnt even get us close to #1

Once in a lifetime player:

I've heard this phrase here, but a lot more in the national media describing Reggie Bush.

My lifetime so far includes, among others, OJ Simpson, Larry Czonka, Earl Campbell, Walter Payton, John Riggins, Franco Harris, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, Eric ****erson, Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, Curtis Martin, Priest Holmes, and LaDanian Tomlinson.

If I were a few years older, we could throw in Jim Brown.

Is "once in a lifetime player" an utterly ridiculous phrase, or is Reggie Bush gong to be better than all those players?

Is he even going to be the best RB in the NFL? Is he going to be the Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzkey, Roger Clemens, Pele of the NFL?

Let's can this "once in a lifetime" nonsense.

FreeTedWilliams said:

I can not see any scenario in which BB sells his draft board to move up to #1. Overall the #1 pick is a curse, not only are you the worse team in the NFL, you always usually have to take a player that you is going to take a huge sigining bonus, and usually does not live up to the hype.

Here's the last few #1 overall picks. Would you have sold your entire draft for any of these players?
2005 (1) ALEX SMITH QB UTAH
2004 (1) ELI MANNING QB MISSISSIPPI
2003 (1) CARSON PALMER QB USC
2002 (1) DAVID CARR QB FRESNO STATE
2001 (1) MICHAEL VICK QB VIRGINIA TECH
2000 (1) COURTNEY BROWN DE PENN STATE
1999 (1) TIM COUCH QB KENTUCKY
1998 (1) PEYTON MANNING QB TENNESSEE
1997 (1) ORLANDO PACE OT OHIO STATE
1996 (1) KEYSHAWN JOHNSON WR USC
1995 (1) KI-JANA CARTER RB PENN STATE
1994 (1) DAN WILKINSON DT OHIO STATE
1993 (1) DREW BLEDSOE QB WASHINGTON STATE
1992 (1) STEVE EMTMAN DT WASHINGTON
1991 (1) RUSSELL MARYLAND DT MIAMI (FLA.)
But let's look at some of the draft choices before that, in my opinion, would have been worth trading a draft for.

1989 Troy Aikman, qb UCLA Dallas 12 6
1983 John Elway, qb Stanford Baltimore 16 10
1978 Earl Campbell, rb Texas Houston 8 5
1970 Terry Bradshaw, qb Louisana Tech Pittsburgh 14 3
1969 O.J. Simpson, rb Southern Cal. Buffalo 11 6

I also think you could make an argument for Carson Palmer, Drew Bledsoe and (I can't believe I'm saying this) Peyton Manning. There are some players that are clearly going to become so good that your draft is worth trading for them. I believe that Reggie Bush is one of these players.

In 20 years, all you'll hear when you mention Reggie Bush is G.O.A.T. And if the word "Patriot" is mentioned along with that, I'll be on Cloud 9.

drew4008 said:
In 20 years, all you'll hear when you mention Reggie Bush is G.O.A.T. And if the word "Patriot" is mentioned along with that, I'll be on Cloud 9.

Agreed.

Anyone that has consistantly seen Reggie Bush play and doesn't think he's gonna be incredible must be blind.

PATSNUTme said:
If Bush falls to #21 we wil grab him. But that is not going ot happen.

So, if on draft day, you look out of your window and see a cow fly bye, then you know we traded up to get him.

I know thats right I don't think any one player is worth giving up mutiple players for what if that one player got hurt there goes your draft for 2006
and those kind of deals take teams a long time to recover from just ask
the New Orleans Saints. We just need to plug a few holes even though I
like Reggie Bush we are not that desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes