PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Burton Just talked to Branch (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garbanza said:
You people are brutal. I recall a lot of you turning on Seymour last year too. Some people stating he wasn't all that. The Patriots need Branch. Really, they do.

Funny - the players accept that it is a business. The fans do not.

Part of business is negotiating in good faith. Something that Branch and Chayut haven't done.

Also, Garbanza, we haven't turned on Branch. Branch earned this with his lies and garbage attitude. Those things shouldn't be a part of business.

The whole "I have to take care of my family" crap to try and get sympathy is what irks a majority of the fans.

scout said:
First, he never said he needed to "feed his family".
Second, most of us will not make multi-millions for our salary, but, most athletes do. Stop comparing with what you make and what an athlete makes. If he feels he's way underpaid, and has a career ending injury in training camp, then I guess we could say, well, we never made a million in a year. Too bad for the guy, then we move on to who takes his place in the line-up. I didn't read anything disturbing in what he said in that interview, but looking at a lot of these threads maybe I should re-read the interview. My hope is that they negotiate and he suits up for the first game. Then next year we can have this same conversation concerning someone else, c'est la vie.

Scout -
You will miss ALOT in just re-reading the interview. Go to the CBS4 website and WATCH the interview. Then you will understand some of the IRE better.

maverick4 said:
This is my biggest concern. The Pats will have a good offense without Branch, but Branch is a 1000-yard receiver (998 last year) who has great rapport with Brady, is about to enter his prime as a professional, and has come through multiple times in big moments (not just the superbowl).

I don't feel comfortable with the other WR's we have and our WR depth. Chad Jackson will be great, but rookie WR's almost never have great seasons. I am definitely not on the Reche Caldwell bandwagon, and people are talking about 35-year-old Troy Brown being one of our starting receivers. It is imperative that we get Branch back on the team.

Sorry, but its NOT imperative that the Pats get Branch back on the team. The WR corps we have now is no worse than what the Pats had in 2001. In fact, the team, as a whole, is BETTER because the Pats have Daniel Graham, Ben Watson, David Thomas, Garrett Mills, Corey Dillon, Laurence Maroney, and Kevin Faulk instead of Rod Rutledge, Jermaine Wiggins, Antoine Smith, Kevin Faulk, and JR Redmond.

Would it be nice if Deion was back? Sure. But its not imperative.

Re: Burton Just talked to Branch

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
I ain't touchin this topic with a 10 foot pole, last time I mentioned how much I hate holdouts I bascially got called a Nazi....

That's because the way you present your opinion indicates that you have little knowledge of the game , or the business. That's all

Michael Holley was hinting last week that Deion would be coming in soon. I said at the time I thought it was strictly based on his gut instinct and not any inside information. He pretty much acknowledged that a little while ago when he touched on the Burton interview.

He couldn't stay on the subject too long since the lines are all lit up with callers waiting for a chance to kvetch on air about the sinking SS Redsox. But he said he had thought last week that the fact that Deion was in almost daily contact with Tommy and others on the team would result in his reporting sooner rather than later. He thought that while they are supportive of him in principle and in public the time would come when they would reason with him that there is more at stake than $$$ and it is pretty clear that while his holdout will hurt the team this FO is not going to blink so at some point it becomes a no win situation that only hurts his teamates while gaining him nothing. He can't imagine those supportive discussions with veteran leaders of this team haven't begun to touch on that, so he now fears that that approach (public support amid growing private concern) is falling on deaf ears.

14thDragon said:
I do not hate him today.

If he fires his agent, he is in essense running up the white flag, but throwing his agent under the bus in order to save face. That is what an agent is for, he talks so that Deion doesn't get himself into too much trouble, and if it is time for someone to fall on their sword, the agent is the guy for that.

In anycase, the patriots are not going to budge until he comes back to work. I think this commentary is more about the fact that the offense is running well without him and he is feeling the strain.

This is where the FO really has the leverage. With the current track record, the Krafts are going to back thier play, thier jobs are safe, and they don't give a damn about the media. They know that the media, fans, advertisers, etc. only care about Wins and Loses. And they are confident that they can win without Deion. They have an entire organization dedicated to make there decisions come out alright.

Deion is essentially down to himself and his agent. Why does he bring up still talking with his teammates, because it gives him a feeling of security that he is not totally alone in this. But he is still feeling the pressure, from all sides. If the patriots win without him, then he can kiss any dreams of big pay-day good-bye.

:agree: If they when the superbowl his stock will really drop.

MoLewisrocks said:
He can't imagine those supportive discussions with veteran leaders of this team haven't begun to touch on that, so he now fears that that approach (public support amid growing private concern) is falling on deaf ears.
Thanks..missed that, but what else did he say?? Did he think it would result in a Galloway delay?? To me a lot of the interview was unsettlling..let's make a joke out of all of this..really just either in total denial or as some conspiracy people note, already with a deal in hand for next year.

DaBruinz said:
Sorry, but its NOT imperative that the Pats get Branch back on the team. The WR corps we have now is no worse than what the Pats had in 2001. In fact, the team, as a whole, is BETTER because the Pats have Daniel Graham, Ben Watson, David Thomas, Garrett Mills, Corey Dillon, Laurence Maroney, and Kevin Faulk instead of Rod Rutledge, Jermaine Wiggins, Antoine Smith, Kevin Faulk, and JR Redmond.

Would it be nice if Deion was back? Sure. But its not imperative.

Agreed. Assuming a modicum of intelligence and talent, wide receivers are to the Patriots what running backs are to Denver. In both cases, their performance is really a reflection of someone else (Brady, Denver O-line)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes