Welcome to PatsFans.com

Burgess - do you want him on the team?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Reckedtrek, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Assuming Burgess doesn't retire and is just pulling his "I might retire" schtick just to get out of being in camp, do you want him to be on the team?

We gave up a 3rd and 5th to Oakland. He came in and had to learn the D, so he didn't amount to much until the last month when he started to "get it" and then started showing some good results at the end of the '09 season.

Now in 2010, we are very thin with players without outside pass rush ability. But if it turns out that he's just blowing off the tougher part of camp, then he's not willing to put in the work to be the best he can be (look at Welker!) and that kind of attitude and lack of intensity cannot be a good thing for the team on and off the field.

The longer this "mulling over retirement" goes on the less I want him here.
  2. Brady2Welker

Brady2Welker Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Burgess- do you want him on the team?

Sometimes I feel that if hes pulling this crap we should just force him to retire, this year is about building a young talented unit around Brady to allow us to succeed in the near future. Depending on his attitude in the locker room, I might be content with him just leaving at the expense of this season to have a more cohesive locker room for our young guys going into the future.
  3. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I concur...but I also believe there is the remotest possibility that he and the team know what his situation really is and he could be biding his time for a while letting the youngsters get better acclimated to the system while he works out on his own at home and comes back at a later point in camp with hefty fines. A pie in the sky theory but I don't think it is out of the realm of reality to be occurring.
  4. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

You might be right, and if it's the case then it's not as bad. But if I had to guess I don't think it's likely. BB would probably say he's away from camp attending to personal issues. But BB has said he doesn't even have all the info he needs, assuming he's being straight forward.
  5. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Obviously the situation is not ideal but I dont look at it with so much anger. The guy is a vet and you have to believe that as you get toward the end of the career it has to be a tough decision between giving up a sport and big pay checks or having to go thru the grind of camp and practice and a long season for the chance of glory. To me as long as he doesnt string BB along and he comes back full tilt if thats his choice than it is what it is.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  6. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know it ain't what is happening, I am trying to be optimistic about his absence.
  7. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,047 / 25 / -46

No Jersey Selected

Burgess was more effective as a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB for us last year. However, given how thing we are at the position, and given that he improved (if only slightly) at the end of 2009, and also given that him retiring would be a complete waste of a 3rd and 5th, I hope he comes back and plays this year.
  8. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The same way BB removed the superbowl posters from the stadium, it is time to let the retired fellows ride off into the sunset.

We just don't need people giving 80% effort. I would rather let the young DL fight for scraps than have a guy around just to collect a paycheck.

Kudos to Burgess for at least not making a charade out of a very tough choice, and give him a pina colada and a big lawn chair and let the guy go.

Better to have him decide to retire now than during the second half of a close game, no?
  9. Destroyer

Destroyer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If he's not 100% committed to the program and willing to give everything he has to the Patriots than no, I, nor should anyone else want him back. If he's ready to strap on the helmet and go work then I'd welcome him back with open arms.
  10. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Why be angry?

Was it ok for Lynch, Brown, Bru, or Patten?

I am not saying you need to celebrate Burgess if he retires like those guys if you dont want but he is a vet in a similar boat to those guys dont string it out and come fully committed if that is your choice.
  11. QB12

QB12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Interesting that the only Jetson (remember AD's bad joke?) left from 'snow gate' is Moss.
  12. makoute

makoute Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Was Guyton not late that day also?
  13. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,047 / 25 / -46

No Jersey Selected

Yeah he was. Everybody seems to forget about him and he usually gets a pass.
  14. patriotscpfc

patriotscpfc Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In my opinion, he's doing this so he doesn't have to do the 2-a-days.
  15. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +219 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Well I, for one, am not at all happy with Burgess.

I contrast him with David Patten. Patten signed, trained with the team in the off-season and retired -- what? -- two days into camp. His reasoning was impeccable, it seems to me. He'd done everything right, felt good physically and had been performing well in camp and he *still* didn't feel that one hundred per cent engagement that he once did. So he was pretty sure that it was time to go.

Now Burgess hasn't even started camp. But he *did* re-sign in the off-season. So how have things changed -- what does he know now that he didn't when he signed. What's more, he hasn't even got in touch with his coach to talk it through. But that's just what managers are there for (DP mentioned having several discussions about retirement with Mangini).

I'm not saying that I wouldn't want Burgess back if he decides after all he wants to play (we're none of us perfect) but the signs aren't good -- and he certainly hasn't handled it in the right way.
  16. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +148 / 4 / -1

#12 Jersey

Definitely, and Belichick has a history of taking it easy on older guys, like how he lured Roman Phifer to New England in the first place. He understands that guys in their mid-30s shouldn't necessarily be asked to do some of the things that the young up-and-comers are. I dunno if that's the case here, but I wouldn't rule it out, and definitely would think twice before running Burgess out of town.
  17. cloud34

cloud34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Supposedly, he has told people he is retired and that the paperwork just hasn't got done yet, so...time to move on.
  18. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +438 / 5 / -6

#75 Jersey

He's under contract.
  19. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +896 / 46 / -48

Disable Jersey

Last year, he cost a 3rd and a 5th, along with his salary. I thought he was a lousy investment at that price, and I was openly opposed to him being brought in. This year, he's costing nothing but small money in an uncapped year. If the team wants him in for camp after this, I don't see any problem there. The big "costs" have already been paid.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  20. SanAngeloState

SanAngeloState Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If he's thinking of retiring, then he's already check out mentally. He's gone.

Just a testament to HOW BAD the trade was. Old crazy al took uncle bill for a 3rd + 5th for a washed up old clunker.

BB has to learn not to pay up for veteran talent. Develop some rookies instead. This is almost as bad as the 3rd for stuarks. Actually just as bad I guess.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.