Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bureaucrats Paid $250,000 Feed Outcry Over College Costs

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

How long have some of us been saying this? I like how the processor who is right to complain about the overpriced, and over hired administrators, seems to imply he'd prefer more faculty. LOL. How much is he and his faculty making? Chief Warren, is that you?

Bureaucrats Paid $250,000 Feed Outcry Over College Costs

By John Hechinger - Nov 14, 2012 12:01 AM ET.

Why Does a College Education Cost So Much?

By John Hechinger - Nov 14, 2012 12:01 AM ET

J. Paul Robinson, chairman of Purdue University’s faculty senate, strode through the halls of a 10- story concrete-and-glass administrative tower. “I have no idea what these people do,” said Robinson, waving his hand across a row of offices, his voice rising.

The 59-year-old professor of biomedical engineering is leading a faculty revolt against bureaucratic bloat at the public university in Indiana. In the past decade, the number of administrative employees jumped 54 percent, almost eight times the growth of tenured and tenure-track faculty.

Purdue has a $313,000-a-year acting provost and six vice and associate vice provosts, including a $198,000 chief diversity officer. It employs 16 deans and 11 vice presidents, among them a $253,000 marketing officer and a $433,000 business school chief.

Bureaucrats Paid $250,000 Feed Outcry Over College Costs - Bloomberg
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Holy $#%&!

Again though, what about the faculty? Yes the administrators salaries are out of control, but no mention of the $250k per year professor? Is that ok, or do we just not want to mention that a lot of the teachers at colleges (cough, ahem, Lizzy Warren, cough...) are overpaid too.

UConn Salaries

Trustees at the University of Connecticut’s flagship campus in Storrs, known for its NCAA champion Huskies basketball teams, said last year they were reviewing the level of administrators’ pay. The move followed a controversy over the then campus police chief, who received $256,000 annually -- more than New York City’s police commissioner.

UConn has a $312,000-a-year provost and 13 vice, deputy and associate vice provosts, including one overseeing “engagement” who makes almost $275,000 a year. The university has seven vice presidents and 13 deans. President Susan Herbst, who receives a $500,000 salary, has a $199,000 chief of staff.
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Like I said in the other thread.... All those billions of dollars of taxpayer subsidies do nothing to help students. It only lines the pockets of the university and its administrators.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

What is worse are the for profit colleges, some presidents make over 7 figures... and most of their money comes from government subsidies..

Liberty University is the largest recipient of federal dollars in Virginia..

5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree that that is a problem, but you should be aware that ALL colleges are for-profit colleges.
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -8

Not much anyone can do about how much private university professors and administrators make, but you're damn right we can do something about how much PUBLIC administrators make!!!!....and we should do something about it.

The thing about a per-fessor who makes over $250k/year is that they end up on a publically subsidized pension! And just think about how much they must get upon retirement.

As I've written several times before, NO ONE, including former presidents, deserve to get a lifetime pension over $100k. At least not one that is paid for by taxpayers.
  7. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't care about professors making money, they do all the work. Admins in the nice offices do nothing.
  8. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

^This

I agree, teachers deserve to make good money, admins are nothing but dead weight...We could fire them all and not much would change....
  9. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 7 / -7

As an administrator at one of the top schools in the world, I am very confident in saying that the jobs we perform are vital to the workings of the school. You guys are talking out of your buttocks. Nothing would get done without us. College faculty are brilliant, but they are not program managers, project managers, web developers, registrars, work with financial aid, come up with admission procedures or governance procedure.

Besides that, salaries have to be competitive, because they need to attract the best people. And they need the best people because faculty have no patience for the dull witted.
  10. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If I were you and my job was your job, I would say the same thing....LOL Your not vital, you don't teach, you are there to run the show but offer nothing more then that! Don't overstate your job...

Could a college run without a dean? I think so....

Could a college run without financial aid agents? I think so...All you need is a computer and a program.

Could a college run without registrars? Yes...you could have students do it for a credit.Web developers? Same thing, make the student do it and give them a credit.

Admission procedures or governance procedure? lol don't make me laugh...Teachers can do that...Teachers should run the show, you and people like you are dead weight....You make too much and don't do enough...

Your not worth seven figures, your not even worth six figures....talk about an ego....A trained monkey could do you job! A trained monkey could do my job but I don't get paid six figures or seven figures.
  11. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +252 / 4 / -8

self-justification award of the day

I am sure the MBA program has people who can be program managers and project managers......CS can do web development.....

you could probably do away with half the people at any public university....... the privates are a little different....
  12. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 7 / -7

You have no clue. Faculty at my school put in 50-70 hours a week.

Really, better to say nothing than say something and prove your complete ignorance.
  13. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 7 / -7

Except those people are busy teaching, researching, promoting, collaborating and innovating. Have you even been to a 4 year college?

Or are you just basing your opinion on your homeschool experience?
  14. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

First off, lets bake you a cake and sing you a song:singing:

FYI, Tons and I mean tons of Americans work their asses off and FYI, they put in just as much time if not more....Get a grip, your not all that and a bag of chips...

Right back at ya champ!

Edit: No matter what you say you can't rationalize making 250k a year and more, for the job you and other do.....Your overpaid! You are the reason college cost are so high(a few other things are part of the problem too), I don't mean to come across and crass or mean but your dead weight....If anything, you should get paid around $12-15hr.....with bennies that's around 20hr and that's being very very fair.
  15. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 7 / -7

In other words you have no idea what you are talking about. I don't want to be insulting, but the idiocy you are spouting is the kind of stuff a high school drop out says after taking a few hits from the bong.

The end.
  16. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ok...

Insults aside, I would be mad if I were you too, I know what I said and how it came across might ruffle your feathers....I'm sorry you feel the way you do!

In the end, you know your overpaid and in the end the first ones to go are going to be you and others, you don't teach, you don't add really anything for the amount of money you make and others make.

Its kind like the government, too many middle men and too many people on the payroll getting paid way to much, so your not alone in that aspect.

In debate FYI insults will make you feel good but they don't prove a point, your trying to rationalize the amount of money you and others make and we both know your way way overpaid, other people out there work longer hours then you and others, get paid way way less you and others and work harder then you and others.

I know you "think" you and others are "worth" it but most of us know better, its very sad that a teacher makes less then a dean or other admins, I feel that's part of the education problem, you and others are taking funds and programs away from student and in the end the kids suffer for it.

Don't feel bad, I prob get paid to much for what I do too.....I'm just man enough to admit it...:cool:
  17. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

No don't go away, I agree with you. It's nothing against you. I have some insight into college administration and understand the complexities of putting programs together (more distance education then traditional, but get it).
    Knee jerk reactions are common here, it's nothing personal and hope you post again.
  18. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So let me ask you a few questions Scout,

You think you and others deserve to make more then teachers? That's like me saying I work at a small business and I should make more then the boss...even though he dose the brunt of the work....

You think that making 250k a year is ok for someone that doesn't teach? My grandmother was a teacher for 30 years, she made crap, while other in the system that didn't do much of anything made 4x what she did, even though she was the one doing the work.

Should you be paid well? Yes! Should you be paid anything over 100k a year? OH HELL NO! It makes no sense! You aren't wroth 100k and over, I'm sorry if we are gonna go that route then people should get paid 100k a year for working at Burger King, because what you do amounts to that...You don't make the meat, you don't buy the product you don't really do anything but look pretty and talk.
  19. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

The person posted defending his job. What I read was a lot of piling on by people who saw the wages mentioned and gave uninformed opinions. Happens here all the time. I don't know what he makes, nor was I defending the wages in the title. My dad was a teacher, and I have two sisters who are elementary teachers.

I do not know your grandmother's situation, but imagine she was greatly underpaid, and highly likely that there may have been slackers in education getting grossly overpaid.
    Your analogy of the small business does not work for me. While I believe there are overpaid administrators, there are administrators that are extremely valuable and should make more then teachers.
  20. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Where are the College Presidents/Chancellors? Do they have a say in this or are they content with their six figure salaries?

State University's get hardly any funding from the taxpayers nowadays.

The sad thing is that most schools are run like businesses. Marketing and more marketing, mostly based on the schools sports teams.