Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bureaucracy frustrates U.S. Gulf oil spill efforts

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by pherein, Jun 21, 2010.

1. pherein

pherein Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Bureaucracy frustrates U.S. Gulf oil spill efforts | Reuters

FRIDAY, 18 JUNE 2010
    BP Oil Spill: Obama To Nungesser's Louisiana's Rescue?

SATURDAY, 19 JUNE 2010
    BP Oil Spill: Nungesser Complains About Cleanup

Thanks Obama for letting us deploy our barges.

Right now BP is in control of the cleanup of the Gulf. This has caused major problems with command and control, censorship, worker health, delays in preparation, and communication ( now 100,000 bpd BP document: Worst-case scenario -- 4.2 million gallons daily in Gulf - CNN.com )

The problem with this model of leadership is clear, BP cares about BP, and cares more about liability ( which is why our workers can not wear respirators or they will be fired) and evidence being collected, than it cares about the wildlife, wetlands, marine life, and people.

To understand what the situation is in Louisiana takes nothing more than common American sense. Florida is now seeing major oil slicks. Louisiana is 40-45 miles from the spill and Florida is 330 miles. The oil is traveling at a rate of 12 mph. Your not seeing anything of the damage, lucky I don't think they can lock the media down in florida, but we'll see.

There has to be a better way to handle this.

Ill have front line pictures and video for you guys shortly, working out conditions with some fisherman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA1r92DIaXQ
    Oil is not the problem, we are.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Do not disagree, but suspect if the government just took over this role then there would be comparable systemic issues....

Not sure of the answer, but from here on in, there needs to be a better articulation of specifics of a disaster plan if this happens again...

There is nothing to say that BP cannot contract this clean up out, and that may be a better way to go.. as BP obviously does not care about a whole bunch except to minimize their own liability....

BP seems to be in the business of drilling and making gas... not in the business of cleaning up the environment, which is a organizational deficit..
  3. pherein

pherein Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hey DarrylS

I dont disagree with a thing you have said, except, is not this a human and wildlife disaster issue now? One that deserves FEMA ( cant believe I said that ), or some sort of oversight by a American agency that might at least be able to overrule BP? Seeing how badly they have mismanaged this and our people.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I believe the Government should insure it is done, but do not believe that they have the capability to accomplish this task, as they probably do not know how to make it better, and may make it worse.... there has to be in this world a company who has the assets, knowledge and abilities to take this on...

There are several contractors currently in operation doing some of this, but does not seem like enough..

If such a company exists, the role of government, should be to tell BP to allow that company to take over this function..

Homeland Security (FEMA) is probably not prepared for this type of emergency.. but you have this new guy ( Mabus) coming on down who is familiar with the issues of the Gulf Coast and maybe he will take more control and take more control of the clean up..

This whole thing is an environmental disaster, beyond what anyone could imagine.. my hope is after the well is tapped, and there is significant clean-up the government will force all of the drillers in the Gulf to have better safety measures in place to avoid a future disaster... complete with provisions for a safety plan in the event that this happens again..

My biggest fear right now, aside from the environment and the way of life this effects, is that we have shown a great vulnerability to terrorists who may have found a bunch of new targets which are difficult to defend...