Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bunning(R) tells the unemployed tough s...t

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Feb 26, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

The left does not have exclusivity on bad behavior, in this case Bunning was the party of one in oppositional behavior..

Sen. Jim Bunning holds floor: 'Tough s--t' - Jake Sherman and Manu Raju - POLITICO.com

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +250 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

No, he told the other Senators "tough sh!t". Yes they were working on a bill for the unemployed but he wasn't talking directly to the unempliyed and The One has already told us that we shouldn't care about procedural issues in the Senate. So stop making crap up about a comment made during Senate procedures.
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

It's about time someone said NO to something! Hoorah for Mr Bunning!

Let me ask you...how long should a person be able to collect unemployment?

I was unemployed about 10 years ago and my bennies ran out. Why is anyone else any different than my case was? I think I got 38 weeks in total and then....NADA, ZIPPO! So whatever happened to me should apply to everyone else.

God I hope no one thinks it should go on indefinately!:eek:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +250 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Although Unemployment isn't a great "wage" by any means, there's a good number of economists I've read/heard who think the continuing lengthening of Unemployment Benefits is keeping the Unemployment rate high because for some people making X while working is not as good as making (.Y)X and getting to stay home all day; with .Y being the % of the old salary that they get in Unemployment. There are jobs out there, just not real good ones in many cases. And Unemployment makes them not worth putting in the effort.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I brought up this point about unemployment benefits before in this forum. That at some point, you are simply enabling people to stay home, as opposed to going to work. Granted, it's not that cut and dry for everyone. In some places there litterally is an extreme need, but for a lot of others, collecting is a like a 6 month long paid vacation. I know lots, and lots of people who actually enjoy being laid off, especially during the summer. Again though, that's not a one size fits all for everyone. Still though, people are getting so many extensions, that they can collect for 18 months if need be. One of my friends has been collecting for close to a year already. He does side work in the meantime, until he finds a job he likes. In all honesty, if I were working for someone,g ot laid off tomorrow, and got 60-70% of my pay via unemployment, I'd be hard pressed not to consider taking the entire summer off. Who wouldn't if they could afford to?
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

You and BF make excellent points. But anyone who "looks forward" to getting laid off has some deep & serious issues.

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Thanks for the info.. your silence is however noted on the rest of the made up crap posted by the right on this board.. your selective outrage is obvious.

Guess the other 99 senators were in the wrong, eh????
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +250 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Other threads, many of which I criticize, are irrelevant. Your subject is bullsh!t which isn't surprising given the source.
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

Darryl, you do realize those in favor of liberal spending policies during this recession are in the minority, don't you.

No matter what Reid, Pelosi, Obama or their supporters would like to see....it aint gonna happen. So get used to it. The storm clouds are building and those sand bags the liberals are using in preparation aren't gonna help when the tidal surge hits.

Mainstream Americans WILL get their way because THAT my friend is the AMERICAN WAY!:D

10. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I really really pray this happens to a few people here, they lose thier job, have to go on unemployment, and are unable to find a job because ....There AREN'T ANY. Kleenex couldn't keep up with the weeping that would go on.
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +250 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

I love Liberals. They're so caring and only want the best for everyone :rolleyes:

:bricks:
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Me and the other 99 senators thought this was a good thing.. do not assume anything here, just pointing out the rude behavior of the right and that the left does not have exclusivity on this matter.

If you mean the "tea party" as the gathering storm.. wait and see, things usually swing to the middle..
  13. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Thats laughable BF, :rofl: you of ALL people. I haven't seen you show ONE IOTA of compasion for anyone in the entire time i've been here.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +250 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

I have compassion for Liberals not having a clue, how's that ?

;)
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

No, I'm not referring the Tea Party. I have my own reservations about them as well. And I am a huge fan of Mainstream America, so I hope you're right. The gathering storm refers to Americans who are sick of our gov't thinking is ok to continue to propose HUGE programs while the country is in the middle of a semi-depression.

If you were here last summer, I was the guy who kept saying "Left & Right" are irrelevant and that neither party has the answers or is the "right" party...no matter what anyone believes.

I've always believed that anyone who stands along party lines can't think for themselves.

16. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +295 / 6 / -5

Jim Bunning is a senile prick, and has been for quite some time.

Everyone knows that unemployment benefits do not run ad nauseum and extending them during a time when unemployment is ~10 percent hardly seems controversial.

But, of course, it's easy to stereotype recipients as a bunch of welfare queens when you've got a job and don't have to worry about how you'll put the next meal on the table.
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +250 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

It's currently at 99 weeks - just about two years. That's not forever but it's a heck of a long time.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

BTW...

Senator Bunning is no longer seeking office after this term. I sure hope his savings are good enough...

Members of Congress receive retirement and health benefits under the same plans available to other federal employees. They become vested after five years of full participation.

what a complete a-hole this guy is, how dare he say isssshhhh like this when living on the dole HIMSELF

I ain't even getting into his freakin FREE HEALTHCARE.

This dude needs to get dropkicked by Barry Windham and Mike Rotundo

http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rberko1/Wrestling/WWF/Champs/Tag/036WindhamRotundo.jpg
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

One of the blogs this AM indicates there is a move afoot to have him removed from the Baseball HOF... interesting.
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The compassionate ones who are opposed to extending benefits are the same pricks who thought NAFTA was a great idea. Talk about short-sighted morons! "HEY! My 401k and Fidelity funds are doing really well! This is great! The economy is booming!"...you know, the investor class who figure they'd skate into retirement and so will the next generation and the next. Problem is, the boomers who are matriculating out of the work force are the last generation in America who will have jobs that did something other than clean toilets and fix porches. These fools who thought that the "global economy" and "free trade" were truly American concepts have sold their kids and their country down the river just so they could have a cushy retirement. This is the offspring of the Greatest Generation and they're turning out to be the most self-absorbed, greedy, ignorant generation this country's ever seen.

Reagan, Bush I and Clinton got this "Free Trade" Trojan horse built and now Bush II and Obama are hitting it home. They and every other sucker in this country bought in to the lies and treason of Wall Street again, and now the middle class is being wiped out. This country and the wealth of all of these fat fukcs was built on the good men and women who wanted to work and make things and design new technologies, That's all gone now thanks to the way that the corporations have sent all of the manufacturing jobs overseas. It started with steel in the late 70's and moved on to other material production jobs.

Meanwhile, the corporations held on to the profits that their new factories in Malaysia and the Phillipines were generating while at the same time complaining about the taxes they had to pay. Americans were told that everything's fine- we just have to adjust the economy into high-tech, bio-tech, and now it's down to public service, "consulting", hospitality, and medical services. We're a nation of drones taking care of the rich who can afford our services. And the corporations and investor class that own those jobs still complain about healthcare, environmentalists, and taxes (unemployment benefits) while they continue to rake in profits on Wall Street. If I have to see one more millionaire on CNBC whining about how their revenues are down 15% I'm gonna kick my dog!

Sooner or later, the pressure the majority of this country is feeling to stay afloat will reach a tipping point. No one wants to stay out of work (except the rich-many of whom have never worked a day in their life). People used to want to work at a PRODUCTIVE job that doesn't include wiping the tired old arses of the rich boomers. They wanted the best for their kids and themselves. Now it seems we have what's left of that group, those with service jobs trying to pay their bills, the rich and the poor. The last group is growing in number and the rich are growing their portfolio. That's a bad structure if you’re looking for a healthy country, IMO.
    :bricks: