PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bungles as good as Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klinefan

Banned
Reaction score
Bungles are plaing stillers pretty well in pittsburgh. Pittsburgh demolished the broncos, who we lost to.

They also (bungles) beat ravenites twice whereas we BARELY beat them at home.

So amonst the best teams, which are we better than?

Colts
Stealers (beat broncos badly, we lost narrowly)
Bungles (may be better than stillers)
Bron-cows (we lost but pretty even game)
Jetsies (we lost but they are maybe not playing as well lately)

Out of this list, we're maybe better than teh Jetsies. Maybe even at best with the broncos. Stealers and Bungles are a question mark, but I'd have to give them the edge right now.
Colts I think are clearly better than us ( I hope to eat those words later-ite).

It's unuusal in that usually I think we are fAR better than other teams in teh AFC.

Just saying. Don't shoot the messenger.

Bungles are plaing stillers pretty well in pittsburgh. Pittsburgh demolished the broncos, who we lost to.

Colts

Out of this list, we're maybe better than teh Jetsies. Maybe even at best with the broncos. Stealers and Bungles are a question mark, but I'd have to give them the edge right now.
Colts I think are clearly better than us ( I hope to eat those words later-ite).

It's unuusal in that usually I think we are fAR better than other teams in teh AFC.

as again at around 12 tonight

Holy corny nicknames Batman!

How teams play common opponents isn't always a good barometer since everyone matches up differently. That's why we seem to make opposing QBs look like All-Pros, but usually don't get gashed by RBs.
The Colts, otoh, usually contain QBs but can be susceptible to big days on the ground if they don't get a lead early.

To answer your question, I think the Bengals are playing very good right now, but I also think the Pats match up well with them.

Are you talking about the Pats week 1 or the Pats week 16?

Big difference bunky.

Colts

I started a thread last week suggesting that the Bengals are for real and are the most complete team in the AFC next to the Pats:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/290918-ot-bengals-ravens.html

On offense, the Bengals have a legitimate franchise QB and a deep threat passing game. They have a legitimate power running game with home run capability with Cedric Benson, who can wear down opposing defenses. Their offense matches up well with most the the tops teams in the AFC - not as explosive as NE or Indy, but much more explosive than Denver and more balanced than Indy, Houston or SD, and at least comparable to Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

On defense, the Bengals have an aggressive, physical, swarming front 7 who can get pressure on the QB and who are very good in pursuit. The LBs have played very well this season. And they have 2 excellent QBs in Leon Hall and Jonathan Joseph, who can legitimately shut down opponent's big play passing game and make INTs. They held Baltimore to 10.5 points in 2 games, and the Ravens have averaged 30+ PPG in their other 6 games.

The Bengals have beaten the Ravens twice and the Steelers once, and lead the Steelers through 3 quarters in Pittsburgh. They are a legitimate team, and a very balanced team. They don't have the playoff experience and mental edge of NE, Indy or Pittsburgh. But I could see them knocking off a few folks and making a serious run in the playoffs, especially if they win the division and get a home game or two.

Colts

jets lose, jets lose ,jets lose(couldn't have happened to a nicer team)!!!

the pats are better than the jets and the broncos, they just were not as good as them on that day. i think they are at least as good as both the steelers and the tigers.

Are you guys watching the Bengals? Michael Johnson is really showing up. We could have used someone like him rushing the QB.

Are you guys watching the Bengals? Michael Johnson is really showing up. We could have used someone like him rushing the QB.

I don't think the Bengals are better than the Pats. But they have a much better pass rush than we do, which allows their very good DBs to make a ton of plays.

Imagine what Butler, Bodden, Meriweather, McGowan and Chung could do if we could get pressure on the passer and force a bunch of errant throws and deflections the way Cincy pressured Big Ben.

Yeah, this is going to be a Pats-Colts AFC Championship. I can see it.

The steelers,broncos, bengals, chargers are just fill-ins for the AFC playoffs.

I don't think the Bengals are better than the Pats. But they have a much better pass rush than we do, which allows their very good DBs to make a ton of plays.

Imagine what Butler, Bodden, Meriweather, McGowan and Chung could do if we could get pressure on the passer and force a bunch of errant throws and deflections the way Cincy pressured Big Ben.

Honestly man, the Bengals have a really good secondary. They lost their main rusher (Odom) and Fanene's sacks came from coverage sacks. Numerous times their DBs had their had on Rothelisburger's passes. They played man, played tight and stayed tight. I was pretty impressed.

Johnson played limited time, but the times he was in there, he made his presence felt.

I think we have a good secondary too, but sometimes we play soft and give up easy 1st downs. From watching the Bengals this year, they're always playing tight and aggressive even when they lost Odom.

Colts

Hold on killer.............., I beleive we've all seen the bungels out of the gate 7-2 before only to end up 8-8. Lot of season left before we crown them "better then the Pats". We've been down this road. At the end of the season, we'll worry about Cinci................ IF THEY ARE STILL AROUND.

I think we have a good secondary too, but sometimes we play soft and give up easy 1st downs. From watching the Bengals this year, they're always playing tight and aggressive even when they lost Odom.

I've been saying all year that the key to us winning is to keep playing aggressively all the time and stop getting soft. The Denver game drove me absolutely bonkers. I didn't mind us losing, but I hated us losing by playing soft and killing ourselves on offense.

Hold on killer.............., I beleive we've all seen the bungels out of the gate 7-2 before only to end up 8-8. Lot of season left before we crown them "better then the Pats". We've been down this road. At the end of the season, we'll worry about Cinci................ IF THEY ARE STILL AROUND.

Agreed. The Bengals have never been short on talent. It is a team that typically finds ways to under-perform, or gets hit with a bad break or 12 that ends its playoff prospects. Unlike the Colts, it is not used to playing with a lead in terms or its record. It is also not a team that has been blowing other teams out (other than the Bears). Close wins can become close losses. I would still not rule out the Steelers for that division with 7 games to go, even with the division record.

But to date I am surprised by the Bengals' performance, and specifically the defensive play. Marv's team typically appears about a second away from implosion, but the team appears to be focused right now (if the worst story is a Chad Johnson fine for a poorly received on-the-field joke, that trumps 10-12 ongoing criminal cases any day). I will not, however, pencil it in for the playoffs, definitely not a first round bye, with 7 games to go.

As an outside observer, I'd say the Bengals are clearly better than the Patriots at this point in time.

Cincinnati has beaten Pittsburgh twice in two attempts. I'm not sure New England could do it once. All the Pats can do is beat up on lousy teams, while once again playing in the worst division in football.

As a Colts fan, come January I'd much rather face the soft, decrepit Patriots team than a young, hungry team like the Bengals.

Last edited:
Don't look at common opponents. You'll never determine anything from that. The Giants blew out the Raiders, who the Eagles then lost to, then the Eagles turned around and blew out the Giants.

As an outside observer, I'd say the Bengals are clearly better than the Patriots at this point in time.

Cincinnati has beaten Pittsburgh twice in two attempts. I'm not sure New England could do it once. All the Pats can do is beat up on lousy teams, while once again playing in the worst division in football.

As a Colts fan, come January I'd much rather face the soft, decrepit Patriots team than a young, hungry team like the Bengals.

Thanks for your opinion. We'll be looking forward to your annual loss to SD in the playoffs. Lights Out!

3 more hours, 3 more hours.

For every intelligent, respective Colts fan/guest poster like mystrymaster on patsfans.com, you have an indignent, uninformed dope like this guy.....

Pats are far from decrepid.

SoS-wise, Colts are worse.

Go away.

As a Colts fan, I'd much rather face the soft, decrepit Patriots team than a young, hungry team like the Bengals.

The Broncos beat the Bengals and the Pats lost in OT on the road to the Broncos. The Colts get to play the Broncos down the road, so talk old and decrepit (you may want to update your football knowledge given that statement - most of the "old" players are gone) when the Colts win that game. The game against the Pats tonight is probably the first time since the first game the Colts have not played against a team with a losing record.

With your logic, are you putting the Colts in that category as well given those opponents? A 27-23 win over another representative of that "weak" division does not exactly give your team a huge vote of confidence, despite its record. Not many winning records in opponents to date, and the only difference between divisional standings is the middle records won one game the other middle teams lost. The AFC South isn't exactly the most feared division in football and is at best marginally better than the AFC East, likely not at all. I will give props to the AFC North, but you are kidding yourself if you believe the AFC South is a tough division.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey