Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bullies with Badges

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wildo7, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

3. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

anyone who throws their weight around and uses a tazer like these aholes deserves the title.
  4. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Dude--again, I'm not a huge fan of cops, but those videos show no context. Most of them could be some sort of high school kids film class video for all you know.

You're going to law school? Would you take that video into court and try to use it as evidence?
  5. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Are we in court right now? They are within the law probably in 90% of those videos. What's shocking to me is what the law now allows.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 1 / -9

7. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So the "law" allows it, but the officers are "bullies with badges" and "fascist pigs" for doing their jobs?

I just don't see your logic I guess, sorry.

Plus I doubt the truth of most of that stuff. The same guy who posted that montage seems to be a big believer in things like those two buildings in NYC didn't fall down.

Context is key--and we don't know why the cops responded with tasers, do we?
    Anything the cops do is wrong. If they use pepper spray, clubs, guns, fists, anything, they're pigs.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4 / -2

I've got half a dozen friends who are cops. My best friend is currently in the process of trying out for the BPD. I think a healthy chunk of cops are punks with a badge. Not all, and not most, but a decent enough portion. I guess when you're making six figures, have a union behind you, wear a badge, and carry a gun, you get a little Napoleon. It's too bad. These bad apples make life tough for the good ones.

Anyhow, that first anchor woman is hot. Kiran Chetry? She could tase me anytime! :rocker:
  9. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Ah yes the Nuremberg defense, if they're told it's ok to do it that excuses all personal responsibility. I wonder what type of person that job attracts (don't tell me I already know plenty of them).

So you are attacking the person who posted that video now? That's a stretch even for your run of the mill Ad Hom. It's right there. My point is context doesn't matter, there is never an excuse to electrocute a human being, especially when you don't know anything about their health.

And Harry, I believe cops were able to restrain people before they were given free range to fry them. Notice how when someone is being tazed (i.e. in excruciating pain) their muscles convulse and they are actually unable to submit in the way that the thugs with high and tights standing around shouting at them want them to? That's called a natural physiological reaction to electricity. Tazers are not designed as a peaceful end to confrontation, they are designed for fear.
  10. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So is your problem with the lawmakers who think Tazers are a good non lethal option, or with the cops who're doing their job. You believe there's never a time to electrocute someone, but would you rather they hauled off and shot them a few times?

What would you have the cops do?

And again--there's no context. And you won't address it, preferring to attack me by accusing me of an ad hom attack.
  11. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Yes, I'd rather they be shot:rolleyes: It's not a matter of which one I blame. The lawmaker allows/orders it, and bullies carry it out, often times all too willingly. I'm not saying that anyone is a Nazi here, but the analogy stands: who do you blame Hitler or the soldier who carried out the gassing. It's not a one or the other equation.

Oh I don't know, maybe just use their strength and numbers to restrain these people. Do you really need context to determine whether two 200+ pound men are able to hold down a 130 pound woman? I do believe that other countries, where the Tazer is banned, are able to restrain people who are pulled over without electrocuting them and possibly killing them.

You tried to dismiss what was in the video by attacking the guy who posted it. Charles Manson could have posted it, that doesn't change the fact that I've said I don't think there is ever any excuse to do that to a person. It's cruel and unfortunely, decreasingly unusual in our society.
  12. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No, I dismissed the video by telling you that without actual context we had no proof half or more of those events were real. We also don't know why the people were being tasered.
    Last I knew, cops were trained to keep suspects at arms length for everyone's safety. You want a cop and a suspect rolling around in a 'wrasslin' match, where the perp gets the gun and there's a dead cop?

I mean, what do you want? Do you have any idea how things work in reality?
  13. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Yes, I live in reality. Unfortunately in my reality torturing people isn't ok no matter what the context and part of being a cop means assuming the risk involved in dealing with people without electrocuting all of them in the off chance that one may get your gun and shoot you.
  14. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

How many times a day are police officers in contact with people? How many people are tazed?

You did say "electrocuting all of them".
  15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Years ago the Cops didn't have tazers and they were almost never taped. Unruly suspects still needed to be subdued from time to time. The very existence of this video is positive because it allows those who have a better understanding of these situations than me to review them and make changes as needed. It may be true that the power output of these tools/weapons needs to be lowered and maybe the cops are being too quick to go to them; but its not so simple that you can just call the police bullies. I'm quite certain that the vast majority of cops are happy to go through a shift without ever doing something like this.
  16. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Wow.

That's basically what I was trying to say in the beginning.

:rocker:
  17. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I never said all cops were bullies, only the ones who use tazers.
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4 / -2

Wildo, with this thread you made me think of an old song from my youth. Reminds me of my days hanging out on Chelsea street corners with a 40 in a brown paper bag. I can't believe I used to drink St Ides. [​IMG]

Profanity so beware!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiX7GTelTPM
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 1 / -9

Again:
    If you were a Cop how would you handle these people.
  20. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Actually, you never said that. I'll grant you that you probably meant to, but you didn't.
    You said things like "fascist pigs" and "bullies with badges" but you never said anything like "I'm only talking about a tiny minority. I know this because you accused cops of tasing "everyone" they deal with during the day.