PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building your draft board position by position - week 7: RB/FB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take Brian Leonard at #28 without batting an eye.

What I love is the fact that he is the perfect complement to Moroney and Faulk. Between the three of them, we have RBs across the range of size and speed spectrum.

With only Moroney and Faulk, we will be able to run at and around defensive fronts like San Diego and Chicago. But against a front seven like the Colts, you want more of a battering ram approach. Leonard has the tools to be a feature back, but also the versatility to play a bunch of different roles besides.

Marshawn looks great, but he seems too similar to Moroney to feel like a great fit for the team. They would be alternating carries, but he doesn't bring the roster any different looks that they dont have already. Leonard adds a Dillon dimension.

And the deciding factor, for me, is his attitude and commitment to winning. That is true Patriot, right there.

Pos and Leonard for me at #24 and #28. That's how my dream draft starts.

Where would you play him? What about Heath Evans, Mills, Faulk, Morris, Maroney? Is Leonard to be #6? Real value there.

He may have a "committment to winning" but unless the Pats draft some DB help and some LBs they won't WIN.

Garrett Mills had a committment to winning...is he even going to see the field? Or is it too clogged up with guys who have a committment to winning. Meanwhile back at the ranch, we have scrubs starting at safety. And Samuel looks to be gone.

Where would you play him? What about Heath Evans, Mills, Faulk, Morris, Maroney? Is Leonard to be #6? Real value there.

If you look at the deal Welker got v. the deal Morris got, it's pretty obvious that they're sold on Welker, and not as much so on Morris. If they feel Leonard is "the best Pats value" available, they'll take him--and I won't lose any sleep over it, either.

[Then again, I find this analogy comforting: Belioli are like an eccentric uncle who, at Christmas, won't always bring you what you want, but will always bring you something you'll come to love. :) ]

Please repeat 10 times
"Mills is not a running back, he has never been a running back. He has shown nothing to believe that he will be a running back"

The pats carried 5 RB/FB last year and six the year before. Morris is an upgrade and replacement for Pass. We could use a fifth.

He may have a "committment to winning" but unless the Pats draft some DB help and some LBs they won't WIN.

Garrett Mills had a committment to winning...is he even going to see the field? Or is it too clogged up with guys who have a committment to winning. Meanwhile back at the ranch, we have scrubs starting at safety. And Samuel looks to be gone.

The Patriots likely will draft a RB in this draft, but I don't like the idea of taking Leonard in the first round. I don't have anything against Leonard, but I don't think he's first round talent.

I wonder who else agrees. You and I have been in the Poz/Leonard camp for weeks.

I respectfully don't agree; unless every LB and DB with a 1st/early 2nd-round grade is drafted before 28, that is. The same 7 words keep returning to me:
32 points allowed in the 2nd half.

A new name to the UDFA mix: Kyle Steffes, RB, North Dakota State
Pro-Day
Dates: 03/06/07
Height: 5111
Weight: 206
40 Yrd Dash: 4.58
20 Yrd Dash: 2.54
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 13
Vertical Jump: 32
Broad Jump: 9'2"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.08
3-Cone Drill: 6.71

Recorded back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons and has logged at least 100 yards rushing in 12 of 29 career games... Averaging 4.8 yards per carry, and 93.2 yards and one TD per game during career ... Durable running back who had three 30-carry games as a junior

Make that two:
Dan Burks, RB, UAB
Pro-Day
Dates: 03/19/07
Height: 5115
Weight: 218
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.63
10 Yrd Dash: 1.55
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'5"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.15
3-Cone Drill: 6.72

enters 2006 season No. 3 all-time at UAB in rushing yards with 1,845 ... also has 28 career receptions to rank No. 8 among UAB running backs all-time...injury history a concern.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back