PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building your draft board position by position - week 7: RB/FB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Week seven won't be as sexy as previous weeks with the Pats sitting on a full stable of RBs, still, competition is a good thing, and depth on the Practice Squad/shadow roster is a legitimate "need" with the pounding RBs take.

Maroney is now the Pats feature back, his college days were spent in a zone blocking scheme, and that appears to be where the Pats will be going with their offensive line this season. Perhaps our FB with the Colts' skeleton in his closet can pitch in here and discuss desirable traits for RBs in a zone scheme. I just know that you want guys who have very good change of direction talent and can accelerate quickly when a hole opens.

NFL RBs all need to be capable receivers. The Pats are willing to split power runners like Dillon and Evans out wide to force mismatches with LBs, any RB taken needs to have the potential to develop as a good receiver. Blocking is another difference for RBs coming out of college, the better you are at reading and picking up the blitz, the more folks are going to like your game.

History:
Week One: OC/OG - http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=51105
Week Two: DL - http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=51395
Week Three: OT - http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=51983
Week Four: CB - http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=52730
Week Five: LB - http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=53088
Week Six: TE - http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=53310

From the Pats' roster:
Heath Evans FB 6-0 250
Kevin Faulk RB 5-8 202
Quadtrine Hill RB 6-2 228
Laurence Maroney RB 5-11 220
Sammy Morris FB 6-0 218

Last edited:
Who is that mystery man?
I'm not at liberty to divulge his identity under such tragic circumstances, though he has occasionally gotten in his cups and confessed to being in Training Camp for a try out. (You can wait for him to indulge again, or you can try the search feature. :eat3: )

In the mean time, any RB/FB catch your eye in this draft?

I'm not at liberty to divulge his identity under such tragic circumstances, though he has occasionally gotten in his cups and confessed to being in Training Camp for a try out. (You can wait for him to indulge again, or you can try the search feature. :eat3: )

In the mean time, any RB/FB catch your eye in this draft?

Because I want the pats to take defense, defense and defense on Saturday, I have been focusing on RBs who might be available on Sunday. Of those, I have divided them into either Corey Dillon-types or Kevin Faulk-types.

Of the Dillon-types, there are:
Michael Bush - could drop due to right leg/foot issues. Could he have sought a redshirt season?
DeShawn Wynn - has medical and, of possibly greater concern, attitude issues.
Jackie Battle - had a terrific pro day at Houston. A real sleeper.
Chris Henry - might be taken on Saturday because of his combine work.
Dwayne Wright - Fresno State junior may have lost explosiveness when he tore his tendon in '04. Should have stayed in school.
Jason Snelling - Virginia alum my be best-suited as a FB. Superior intelligence/attitude.
UDFA invitee - Nate Ilaoa, Hawaii.

Of the Faulk-types, there are:
Kenny Irons/Lorenzo Booker - will likely be drafted on Saturday.
Brandon Jackson - may also go on Saturday, but if our defensive needs have been addressed by Sunday, and he's available...
Darius Walker - ND junior may not be explosive enough to fill 3rd-down role, despite his impressive broad and, esp., vertical jumps. Compares to Mike Cloud.
Garrett Wolfe - explosive, but very small and not a productive returner.
Ahmad Bradshaw - Marshall junior is a bigger version of Wolfe. Maybe should have stayed in school. Is he a KR/PR?
UDFA invitee - Clifton Dawson, Harvard.

Who is that mystery man?

Dan Klecko posts here ?!?!

Here's the way I see the RB position:

Brian Leonard Rutgers -- I wouldn't use a #1 on him, and I doubt he'll be there at #3. I don't think we need to talk about him any more than we have already. Reminds me of: Charlie Garner

Darius Walker Notre Dame Productive in pro-style passing game, plus a workhorse RB. His 40 speed has caused him to drop, but his agility and explosion numbers are good. I'd love to take him in the fourth round. He can play any role asked of him. Reminds me of: Tatum Bell

DeShawn Wynn Florida - Maybe my favorite candidate for an every-down back, but has some attitude flags. I like his size, but would like it more if he lost about 12-15 pounds. Deceptively agile for such a big man. Reminds me of: The skinny Jerome Bettis

Garrett Wolfe Northern Illinois - I really like the home run potential and the squirminess he provides. In the end though, I just don't think he's strong enough. Reminds me of: Darren Sproles in high heels.

Kolby Smith Louisville - Workmanlike, low-key performer. Low mileage on him, which to me is always a plus. Reminds me of: Chester Taylor

Reggie Merriweather Clemson - One of my favorite sleepers. I wouldn't mind spending a late pick on him. James Davis bumped him out of the starter's role, but this guy is MJDII -- Short, but solidly built with great lower body strength. Reminds me of: Maurice Jones-Drew

Eldra Buckley Chattanooga -- Played extremely well in losses to Div 1-A schools. Physically built like Kevin Faulk, but lacks the first-step quickness and the hands. Reminds me of: Ryan Moats

Last edited:
Dan Klecko posts here ?!?!

Here's the way I see the RB position:

Brian Leonard Rutgers -- I wouldn't use a #1 on him, and I doubt he'll be there at #3. I don't think we need to talk about him any more than we have already. Reminds me of: Charlie Garner

Would you take him if the Pats had a #2?

Probably not, only because of the other players we'd be passing up to get him, such as David Harris or Josh Wilson, who I like more and the value/need intersection is pretty much perfect.

If you're asking me whether in a vacuum Brian Leonard is worth a number two pick, then yes, absolutely.

I'm primarily thinking of a Day two back who can survive a waiver and make the Practice Squad, but that doesn't mean I can't drool over some first day prospects.

Day One:

Marshawn Lynch: is reported to be dropping, while I think that is horse hockey, he would be a nice prize to pair with Maroney. He has the tools to succeed behind a zone-blocking line since that seems the direction the Pats are headed with Maroney as the feature back.

Brian Leonard: is still my favorite back in this draft. My theory on mismatch positions fits him quite well.

Tony Hunt: is more of a power back in the Dillon mould. He did look well in the Senior Bowl, though I would have liked to see him follow his blocks better. I'm not sure how well he'd do paired with Maroney behind the zone blocking, but he's a fine RB and worth consideration.

Antonio Pittman: would make a nice Faulk-like scat back.

Lorenzo Booker: another scat back prospect.

Day Two:

Darius Walker: I have my doubts about his ability to be a change of place back in the NFL, but if he's there for the fifth round comp pick I'd consider him a fair value.

Brandon Jackson: is my day two Brian Leonard, my reading suggests he will be a strong talent who would fit well behind zone blocking.

Jackie Battle: is a productive runner who needs to be better as a receiver, but he draws comparison to Travis Henry whom Pats' fans know as a punishing runner.

Chris Henry: is getting a close look because teams don't know whether his production matches the potential of his testing numbers.

UDFA:

Selvin Young: compares to Patrick Pass as a situational player who will give good effort, probably not worth a draft pick, but might be a nice kid to work out in camp.

Alonzo Coleman: 4 year 1,000 yd rusher, productive lower level back who is worth a look.

Ronnie McGill: battled through injuries and produced 4.1 yds/carry behind a poor O-line.

Clifton Dawson: averaged over 121 yds/gm in the Ivy league...Has just five career fumbles in 721 career carries and 798 career touches.

Tre Smith: workout warrior or lost in the shuffle? Strong Special Teams potential while waiting to find out.

UDFA Fullback:

Derek Schouman: TE considered too small for the position, natural receiver, physical blocker at the point of attack.

Le'Ron McClain: slow as molasses, he looked to be a devastating blocker in the Senior Bowl.

Gijon Robinson: another TE considered too short, productive receiver.

Billy Latsko: team leader, decent receiver.

Steve Baylark: 4 year 1,000 yd rusher, perhaps too slow for RB, but might make the FB transition.

I'm primarily thinking of a Day two back who can survive a waiver and make the Practice Squad, but that doesn't mean I can't drool over some first day prospects.

Day One:

Marshawn Lynch: is reported to be dropping, while I think that is horse hockey, he would be a nice prize to pair with Maroney. He has the tools to succeed behind a zone-blocking line since that seems the direction the Pats are headed with Maroney as the feature back.

Brian Leonard: is still my favorite back in this draft. My theory on mismatch positions fits him quite well.

Tony Hunt: is more of a power back in the Dillon mould. He did look well in the Senior Bowl, though I would have liked to see him follow his blocks better. I'm not sure how well he'd do paired with Maroney behind the zone blocking, but he's a fine RB and worth consideration.

Antonio Pittman: would make a nice Faulk-like scat back.

Lorenzo Booker: another scat back prospect.

Day Two:

Darius Walker: I have my doubts about his ability to be a change of place back in the NFL, but if he's there for the fifth round comp pick I'd consider him a fair value.

Brandon Jackson: is my day two Brian Leonard, my reading suggests he will be a strong talent who would fit well behind zone blocking.

Jackie Battle: is a productive runner who needs to be better as a receiver, but he draws comparison to Travis Henry whom Pats' fans know as a punishing runner.

Chris Henry: is getting a close look because teams don't know whether his production matches the potential of his testing numbers.

UDFA:

Selvin Young: compares to Patrick Pass as a situational player who will give good effort, probably not worth a draft pick, but might be a nice kid to work out in camp.

Alonzo Coleman: 4 year 1,000 yd rusher, productive lower level back who is worth a look.

Ronnie McGill: battled through injuries and produced 4.1 yds/carry behind a poor O-line.

Clifton Dawson: averaged over 121 yds/gm in the Ivy league...Has just five career fumbles in 721 career carries and 798 career touches.

Tre Smith: workout warrior or lost in the shuffle? Strong Special Teams potential while waiting to find out.

UDFA Fullback:

Derek Schouman: TE considered too small for the position, natural receiver, physical blocker at the point of attack.

Le'Ron McClain: slow as molasses, he looked to be a devastating blocker in the Senior Bowl.

Gijon Robinson: another TE considered too short, productive receiver.

Billy Latsko: team leader, decent receiver.

Steve Baylark: 4 year 1,000 yd rusher, perhaps too slow for RB, but might make the FB transition.

I really like Lorenzo Booker and it needs to be remembered that he's got the frame to be even heavier than Faulk.

Faulk is 5'8" 202lbs while Booker is 5'10.3" and weighs 193lbs(combine). He's got great potential as a third down RB because he's not only good at catching the ball, he runs good routes, and is able to take it the distance. Booker's also good on special teams, and has great footwork.

I would have included Dwayne Wright, Michael Bush, and Deshaun Wynn on that list somewhere. I thought you liked Deshaun Wynn?

I also would have put Brandon Jackson ahead of Darius Walker. It's your list though, not mine.

Last edited:
I really like Lorenzo Booker and it needs to be remembered that he's got the frame to be even heavier than Faulk.

Faulk is 5'8" 202lbs while Booker is 5'10.3" and weighs 193lbs(combine). He's got great potential as a third down RB because he's not only good at catching the ball, he runs good routes, and is able to take it the distance. Booker's also good on special teams, and has great footwork.

I would have included Dwayne Wright, Michael Bush, and Deshaun Wynn on that list somewhere. I thought you liked Deshaun Wynn?

I also would have put Brandon Jackson ahead of Darius Walker. It's your list though, not mine.
I didn't list them in any particular order, so Jackson being behind Walker means little. Wright and Bush are straightline runners, if the Pats are going to a zone blocking scheme for Maroney, they don't seem like good fits. As for Wynn - "Has had several run-ins with the past and present coaching staffs, and is not considered a team-oriented athlete...Not a self-starter and does not like hard coaching or a structured environment." Booker looks like a decent back, but "Frame appears too lean and while he can add some additional bulk, it could affect his quickness and suddenness" doesn't sound as encouraging if you're looking for the next Faulk.

I would take Brian Leonard at #28 without batting an eye.

What I love is the fact that he is the perfect complement to Moroney and Faulk. Between the three of them, we have RBs across the range of size and speed spectrum.

With only Moroney and Faulk, we will be able to run at and around defensive fronts like San Diego and Chicago. But against a front seven like the Colts, you want more of a battering ram approach. Leonard has the tools to be a feature back, but also the versatility to play a bunch of different roles besides.

Marshawn looks great, but he seems too similar to Moroney to feel like a great fit for the team. They would be alternating carries, but he doesn't bring the roster any different looks that they dont have already. Leonard adds a Dillon dimension.

And the deciding factor, for me, is his attitude and commitment to winning. That is true Patriot, right there.

Pos and Leonard for me at #24 and #28. That's how my dream draft starts.

I wonder who else agrees. You and I have been in the Poz/Leonard camp for weeks.

I would take Brian Leonard at #28 without batting an eye.

What I love is the fact that he is the perfect complement to Moroney and Faulk. Between the three of them, we have RBs across the range of size and speed spectrum.

With only Moroney and Faulk, we will be able to run at and around defensive fronts like San Diego and Chicago. But against a front seven like the Colts, you want more of a battering ram approach. Leonard has the tools to be a feature back, but also the versatility to play a bunch of different roles besides.

Marshawn looks great, but he seems too similar to Moroney to feel like a great fit for the team. They would be alternating carries, but he doesn't bring the roster any different looks that they dont have already. Leonard adds a Dillon dimension.

And the deciding factor, for me, is his attitude and commitment to winning. That is true Patriot, right there.

Pos and Leonard for me at #24 and #28. That's how my dream draft starts.

Last edited:
I didn't list them in any particular order, so Jackson being behind Walker means little. Wright and Bush are straightline runners, if the Pats are going to a zone blocking scheme for Maroney, they don't seem like good fits. As for Wynn - "Has had several run-ins with the past and present coaching staffs, and is not considered a team-oriented athlete...Not a self-starter and does not like hard coaching or a structured environment." Booker looks like a decent back, but "Frame appears too lean and while he can add some additional bulk, it could affect his quickness and suddenness" doesn't sound as encouraging if you're looking for the next Faulk.

I got you and Dryheat confused on Deshaun Wynn.

Booker's faster than Faulk, and more elusive, so I don't see why gaining 10lbs would keep him from being the next Kevin Faulk. They're just speculating that him gaining a few pounds could effect his speed, they don't know that it will. Also, if it does he'd probably still be as fast or faster than Faulk.

Last edited:
I got you and Dryheat confused on Deshaun Wynn.

Booker's faster than Faulk, and more elusive, so I don't see why gaining 10lbs would keep him from being the next Kevin Faulk. They're just speculating that him gaining a few pounds could effect his speed, they don't know that it will. Also, if it does he'd probably still be as fast or faster than Faulk.
I like Booker okay, I just think he'd be better as a WR competing with Welker for the slot, which would give a nice twist to the run game with him coming in motion or going end around.

I like Booker okay, I just think he'd be better as a WR competing with Welker for the slot, which would give a nice twist to the run game with him coming in motion or going end around.

Well, that's my secret, I think he can play WR, and RB. I've listed him as a 3rd down back/WR for awhile now.

I also really like Chris Davis at WR for NE.

Well, that's my secret, I think he can play WR, and RB. I've listed him as a 3rd down back/WR for awhile now.

I also really like Chris Davis at WR for NE.
FL State? Or am I confusing the LSU receiver?

FL State? Or am I confusing the LSU receiver?

Chris Davis is the FSU WR, and Craig Davis is from LSU. I like both of them.

I also like:
Aundrae Allison
Rhema McNight
Steve Smith
Jason Hill
Gonzo
Meachem
Courtney Taylor

I like the fact that NE has shown interest in all the WR's I said I wanted on ESPN, just after the Senior Bowl.

Last edited:
Like em both as well. Prefer the one from LSU

Like em both as well. Prefer the one from LSU

I'll take either but I like the value of Chris, because he's a bit of a sleeper in my opinion. I'd love getting someone like Craig, but I'd really like the idea of getting Chris in the 5th/6th round. NE would likely have to spend a second on Craig. Also, to me Chris Davis seems perfect for NE's offense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey