PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building your draft board position by position - week 5: LB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always happy to find someone who gives Izzo a thumbs up to start! :rocker:

Just using it as a guage for eight limits for former and current LB's in our system.

BTW Ted Johnson final playing weight before he retired. 250 even.

He was 239 when he was drafted.

Not motioning for an Izzo start. :D

Just using it as a guage for eight limits for former and current LB's in our system.

BTW Ted Johnson final playing weight before he retired. 250 even.

He was 239 when he was drafted.

Not motioning for an Izzo start. :D
Cool, TJ was 239 when drafted to play MLB in a 4-3 and 250-ish when used in the 3-4 http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=2004Roster.

We've had two starting linebackers since 2001 who weighed in under 245 - Beisel (238) and Alexander (240) - I'm waiting to see how Alexander does this season, maybe the Pats can trade for Monty with Arizona as long as folks want an underweight stud (since you aren't lobbying for Izzo to start). :p

Also, I still consider Zak DeOssie an OLB, but I won't rehash that old discussion.
You'll note the OLB list I carried over from my ILB list. :cool:

Cool, TJ was 239 when drafted to play MLB in a 4-3 and 250-ish when used in the 3-4 http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=2004Roster.

We've had two starting linebackers since 2001 who weighed in under 245 - Beisel (238) and Alexander (240) - I'm waiting to see how Alexander does this season, maybe the Pats can trade for Monty with Arizona as long as folks want an underweight stud (since you aren't lobbying for Izzo to start). :p

Yea, Beisel is a real stud....:rolleyes:

Late Round/UDFA Prospect: ILB Zach Diles Kansas State. Tackling Machine, and he made the defensive calls for the Wildcats. He's a bit shorter than ideal (6'0" 240 lbs), but he excels on all special teams. At his recent Pro Day ran the 40 in 4.76 seconds with the wind and 4.83 against the wind. He also ran the short shuttle in 4.22 and the three-cone drill in 7.16. In addition, he had a 33½-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-5 broad jump and 22 bench presses. . Here's one writeup from a KSU site:

2006: Athletic middle linebacker and who has started all 12 games this season... Earned honrable mention All-Big 12 honors from the league’s coaches... Second on the team and eighth in the Big 12 with 92 tackles... Also has collected seven tackles for losses, which ranks second on the team, with 3.5 sacks... Ranked fourth in the Big 12 with 70 total tackles during conference games... Has led the team in tackles in four of the last eight games of the season and has recorded five or more stops in each of his last 10 games and in 11 of his last 12... Made 81 tackles during the last 10 weeks of the season... Tied a career-high with 12 stops against Texas... Collected seven tackles at Colorado... Had a career-high 12 tackles and two sacks against Iowa State... Returned a fumble 43 yards against Mizzou for his first career touchdown... Tied a then-career-high with 11 stops against Oklahoma State... Had five stops, two for losses, against Marshall... Has totaled two tackles for losses three times this season, against Illinois State, Marshall and Iowa State... Collected 10 tackles with an interception in his first career start against Illinois State... Appeared in all 11 games during 2005, totaling 50 tackles and two sacks, despite not starting a game.

2005: Played in all 11 games... Finished fourth on the team in tackles with 50 (27 solo), despite not starting a game... Tied for fouth on the squad in tackles for loss with 5.5, including 2.0 sacks... Also forced three fumbles... Received team award as the most improved defensive player... Collected a team-leading and season-high 11 tackles at Oklahoma... Had nine stops at Iowa State, with a forced fumble, and seven stops vs. Missouri.. Had a big game against Texas A&M, finishing with six tackles, including two for a loss, and a forced fumble that eventually led to a K-State touchdown... Also forced a fumble at Nebraska.

Junior College: Helped the Fresno City College to an 8-3 record, a Valley Conference title and a berth in the 2004 California North Division championship game as a sophomore... Keyed a defense that yielded just 260.3 total yards per game... Made 22 starts in his two years at Fresno CC, collecting 60 tackles as a freshman and 70 as a sophomore... Also snagged five interceptions... Helped the Rams to an 8-2 record as a freshman.

Any of you guys who watch a lot of Big 12 able to add anything?

Last edited:
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to develop a scouting report on Madison Miller, DE, Indiana State University. Apparently, he was impressing at the Purdue pro day.

From Brandt:

Madison Miller DE Miller (6-0 ½, 242) worked out at Purdue. He ran the 40 in 4.68 and 4.68 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.46 and the three-cone drill in 7.06. He also had a 32 ½-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-7 broad jump and 27 bench presses.

From a Broncos Insider report posted at Orangemane:

I was at the Purdue Pro Day where I spoke with a Broncos scout.. He came there (much like I did) to report on Anthony Spencer, and much like me, he left talking to Indiana State defensive end/lb Madison Miller (who I wrote about in the Jarvis Moss thread). I just wanted to inform you guys that a potential Broncos pick, Madison Miller just signed a deal with NASFA at fightforthefans.com where he will be doing a weekly blog. There is also a pro day review from Purdue on that site to give you an idea of how he did. From what I heard from the scout, it is a great possibility that the Broncos draft him in the 6th or 7th round. If they don't it is almost certain a roster spot will be offered to him. At 6'4" 245lbs He is a big time athletic defensive end with the versatility to play lb and even strong safety (assuming he drops 20lbs). Film was requested from him along with his information, now I know this is common at Pro Day's, but the level of interest he was showing to Miller (over Spencer) intrigued me to the extent that I believe he is a viable option for them. The guy seems like he could bring a lot of athleticism to Denver's defense and could be a late round gem.

The ISU website lists him at 6'4", so I believe Brandt has a typo.

Perhaps a ILB UDFA prospect?

Has anybody seen this Sycamore?

Can he be the next Larry Bird (except at ILB)??

East West Shrine Game?

Out of the keyboard's of Saints' fans!

That Saint fan on the main forum looking for help as the Pats GM had a kid I'd overlooked on his draft board:

Claude "Turk" McBride (Tennessee) - Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6023
Weight: 277
40 Yrd Dash: 4.81
20 Yrd Dash: 2.78
10 Yrd Dash: 1.61
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 27
Vertical Jump: 31
Broad Jump: 9'0"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.12
3-Cone Drill: 7.10
32-inch arm length

Those are LB numbers, at 6'2", he might be a good prospect to slim down a bit and try as an ILB. (Klecko worry warts are reminded 5'11" Danno was a terror when he could get inside an OL's arms, but struggled off the line where his short arms allowed OL to get into him first)

For comparison, Patrick Willis:
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6011
Weight: 242
40 Yrd Dash: 4.51
20 Yrd Dash: 2.62
10 Yrd Dash: 1.53
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 39
Broad Jump: 9'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.46
3-Cone Drill: 7.23
Pro-day
Dates: 03/20/07
Height: 6011
Weight: 237
40 Yrd Dash: 4.37
20 Yrd Dash: 2.54
10 Yrd Dash: 1.52
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.37
3-Cone Drill: 7.10

And Dan Klecko:Combine Invite: yes
Height: 5114
Weight: 283
40 Yrd Dash: 4.94
20 Yrd Dash: 2.88
10 Yrd Dash: 1.71
Wonderlic: 29
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 26
Vertical Jump: 33 1/2
Broad Jump: 9'3"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.43
3-Cone Drill: 7.52

NFLDraftScout had this in his overview:
The team's "fifth" defensive lineman, McBride proved to be not only a capable performer, but also a versatile one in playing at a variety of positions on the front wall throughout his career. Much like Penn State's Tim Shaw, McBride was the first player the coaching staff would plug in to a position when injuries or poor performances dictated that the Vols needed a spark upfront.

While moving around to different positions would generally impede the progress of a young athlete, McBride seemed to thrive in the role. Even though he started only 17 of 43 games during his career, the coaches will tell you that he was the Vols' most valuable lineman.
-----
[high school] McBride was a four-year starter as a receiver, and started his final two seasons as a defensive end...He also lettered in track, competing in the shot put and discus while also running in the 100 meters.
-----
McBride enrolled at Tennessee in 2003 and saw action in eight games as a true freshman. He was listed third on the depth chart at right defensive end, managing just one assisted tackle while deflecting one pass. In 2004, McBride's versatility came into play.

With injuries on the front wall, he appeared in all 13 games. He started against Georgia at left end, lined up at left tackle against Alabama and Vanderbilt, then shifted to right tackle against Auburn. He finished the season with 36 tackles (22 solos), three sacks, eight stops for losses and six pressures. He also caused and recovered two fumbles.
-----
His versatility and newfound leadership skills helped the team through several injuries in 2006. He was also injured himself, suffering a hip pointer against Georgia, but he played through pain to start all 13 games. He took over the defensive captaincy role when Justin Harrell was lost for the season after the third game.

McBride started the first two games at left end, shifted to right tackle vs. Florida and then shifted to Harrell's left tackle spot for the rest of the season. He picked up All-Southeastern Conference honors, as he recorded 68 tackles (42 solos), one sack, nine stops for losses and five pressures. He also caused one fumble and deflected a pass.
Some things from the positive points of the analysis jumped out at me:
...Has the quickness and timed speed to explode out of his stance and is the type who goes full speed on every play...Has just an adequate feel for blocking schemes, but has improved his ability to "read hats" and slip off blocks...Is best served making plays in the move to compensate for a lack of size and bulk working the interior (will get pushed back by double teams), but knows how to use his quickness and hand placement to generate counter moves needed to escape trash...Has a good feel for blocking schemes, using his hands to keep opponents from attacking his feet...Takes good angles in pursuit when playing off the line and flattens with a good burst to close...Plays the game on his feet when on the move and while he lacks the long distance top speed, he has the short-area burst and acceleration to close...Shows urgency getting to the ball and the balance to defeat blocks coming off the edge...Closes with speed and uses his hands effectively to slip past blockers...Keeps very active with his arms when engaging and can quickly adjust to chase, showing an explosive burst when closing...When he keeps his hands active, he does an adequate job of creating separation from blockers.
They compare him to Montae Reagor who gives the Pats some trouble inside.

I know why I overlooked him where he was hanging out on the DT list, but now that we have been introduced I'd consider the kid a nice second day prospect to try at ILB. If Indy or the like want him where NFLDraftScout has him projected for bottom of the 2nd/top of the 3rd well enough, but if he slides to Day two...

Another prospect to consider as a UDFA with the size to play ILB or OLB.

Abe Brown (Louisville) -
Height: 6035
Weight: 244
40 Yrd Dash: 4.73
20 Yrd Dash: 2.76
10 Yrd Dash: 1.63
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 31 1/2
Broad Jump: 9'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.59
3-Cone Drill: 7.81

Poor change of direction numbers, he may be better inside. High School Safety.

EDIT: Here's another kid with enough size to merit consideration, he'll probably be a UDFA since he's coming off a broken leg.

Nick Roach (NorthWestern) -
Height: 6006
Weight: 245
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
Pulled hamstring on run
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 27
Vertical Jump: 31
Broad Jump: 9'8"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

"10/26/06 - Senior LB Nick Roach, Northwestern's No. 1 tackler and defensive leader, broke his right leg while on punt coverage in the third quarter Saturday. He'll be lost for the year....Nick Roach is Northwestern's leading tackler. He's a three-year starter and one of the team captains...Roach has 241 tackles and nine sacks in his four years as a Wildcat."

Last edited:
AYJACKSON - This is a reply to your post.

Madison Miller is indeed 6'4" 250lbs. He ran a 4.48 for the Miami Dolphins at his Pro Day workout at Indiana State, he ran a 4.52 and a 4.57 at Purdue for over 18 team representatives. He ran a 6.98 3 cone, a 4.32 short shuttle, and bench pressed 225 20 times at Indiana State (only 16 at Purdue due to strained pectoral). He is indeed out of the Adalius Thomas mold as he came in as a Safety, but was forced to play DE out of necessity. Miller has had interest from 9 NFL teams: Indianapolis, Philadelphia, KC, Denver, Baltimore*, Miami***, New England (he had an interview with regional scout at ISU), Washington**, and Cleveland***.

*** - high level of interest. Was asked for solid contact number and where he would be on draft day.
** - spoke with Defensive coordinator Greg Blache
* - spoke with Chad Alexander in scouting department.

He has videos posted here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=pdQqGH50RA0
and http://youtube.com/watch?v=INy9UJ6kz1g
I also visited the site that's on the video at the beginning, and he seems to be doing a blog for an organization.
If you want anymore information please PM me and I will be more than happy to provide it.

Nice measurables, how did ISU use him? Does he have any work in coverage after they moved him from Safety? I checked his 2006 stats http://www.indstate.edu/athletic/football/2006/Statistics/TEAMCUME.HTM#TEAM.DEF, 43 TT seems decent for a DE.

AYJACKSON - This is a reply to your post.

Madison Miller is indeed 6'4" 250lbs. He ran a 4.48 for the Miami Dolphins at his Pro Day workout at Indiana State, he ran a 4.52 and a 4.57 at Purdue for over 18 team representatives. He ran a 6.98 3 cone, a 4.32 short shuttle, and bench pressed 225 20 times at Indiana State (only 16 at Purdue due to strained pectoral). He is indeed out of the Adalius Thomas mold as he came in as a Safety, but was forced to play DE out of necessity. Miller has had interest from 9 NFL teams: Indianapolis, Philadelphia, KC, Denver, Baltimore*, Miami***, New England (he had an interview with regional scout at ISU), Washington**, and Cleveland***.

*** - high level of interest. Was asked for solid contact number and where he would be on draft day.
** - spoke with Defensive coordinator Greg Blache
* - spoke with Chad Alexander in scouting department.

He has videos posted here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=pdQqGH50RA0
and http://youtube.com/watch?v=INy9UJ6kz1g
I also visited the site that's on the video at the beginning, and he seems to be doing a blog for an organization.
If you want anymore information please PM me and I will be more than happy to provide it.

He was used primarily on the line. He went in coverage a few times in some zones. More importantly about his numers is, the conference he plays in. In the Gateway conference, every team except Western Illinois and Indiana State runs a 22 offense (2 TE, 2 RB) and run the ball all the time. It's important to point out that in games against passing teams in his career (Texas Tech, Western Illinois, Purdue) these are his statistics:

Texas Tech: 7 QB pressures, 5 Hits on QB, .5 sacks, 3tfl
Western Illinois: 11 QB pressures, 7 Hits on QB, 3.0 sacks, 4tfl
Purdue: 8 QB pressures, 5 Hits on QB, 1.5 sacks, 3tfl

He did work in coverage drills throughout the season AFTER practice to keep his feet quick and fluid hips. He didn't work out in LB drills at Purdue because he rolled his ankle in an agility drill, but did them at ISU for the Dolphins. He was by far the most athletic player at Purdue, including Anthony Spencer. Ideally he'll probably be a LB in the NFL.. with safety as a viable option if he loses a few pounds. It's important to note that when he weighed 229 he ran a 4.35 40, after packing on the extra 21 pounds he has been clocked at 4.48, 4.52, 4.57, so the speed is there and I wouldn't doubt if they wanted him to play safety that he could do it. If you would like anymore information please PM me.

He was used primarily on the line. He went in coverage a few times in some zones. More importantly about his numers is, the conference he plays in. In the Gateway conference, every team except Western Illinois and Indiana State runs a 22 offense (2 TE, 2 RB) and run the ball all the time. It's important to point out that in games against passing teams in his career (Texas Tech, Western Illinois, Purdue) these are his statistics:

He did work in coverage drills throughout the season AFTER practice to keep his feet quick and fluid hips. He didn't work out in LB drills at Purdue because he rolled his ankle in an agility drill, but did them at ISU for the Dolphins. He was by far the most athletic player at Purdue, including Anthony Spencer. Ideally he'll probably be a LB in the NFL.. with safety as a viable option if he loses a few pounds. It's important to note that when he weighed 229 he ran a 4.35 40, after packing on the extra 21 pounds he has been clocked at 4.48, 4.52, 4.57, so the speed is there and I wouldn't doubt if they wanted him to play safety that he could do it. If you would like anymore information please PM me.

About the interview with NE's scout, did that take place at his Pro Day?

The interview happened the week before his pro day at Purdue, he was interviewed along with ISU WR Carl Berman (4.29 40 at Notre Dame Pro Day). The interview took place on the campus of Indiana State.

:rocker: Thank you very much for the info, a nice read, the breakdown on passing teams is most illustrative. I'm happy to see yet another LB prospect with my version of prototypical size is in this draft. The kid sounds like a hard worker if he does coverage drills in addition to his DE work, how's the character question going to be answered?

Character question, well if you went to the youtube videos, you'll see he is blogging on a website, fightforthefans.com. Reading his blog really gives an insight into the type of guy he is. http://www.fightforthefans.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=6&Itemid=54

there is a link, there are three entries to his blog. The guy is a family oriented man. He grew up in a tough area of Indianapolis, but quickly grew up, and he is settled down with his fiancee and son. He is focused on academics and seems to be very interested in giving back to his community. Check out the blog it gives more information about him. Hope that helps

Very good, thanks again. Your site looks like an interesting premise, I don't know if Ian has any concerns about identifying yourself here but you might PM him.

How did Spencer look in LB drills? He was interviewed at one time and expressed a desire to stay in a 4-3 as a DE, have you heard of any shift in that stance? Since NE plays a 3-4, do you have any thoughts on mid-to-late round DE prospects who have the athleticism to cover TE/RB in the short area and play up on their feet?

Come to that, are there additions to the Pats' interview list stickied at the top which we haven't listed?

Character question, well if you went to the youtube videos, you'll see he is blogging on a website, fightforthefans.com. Reading his blog really gives an insight into the type of guy he is. http://www.fightforthefans.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=6&Itemid=54

there is a link, there are three entries to his blog. The guy is a family oriented man. He grew up in a tough area of Indianapolis, but quickly grew up, and he is settled down with his fiancee and son. He is focused on academics and seems to be very interested in giving back to his community. Check out the blog it gives more information about him. Hope that helps

Very good, thanks again. Your site looks like an interesting premise, I don't know if Ian has any concerns about identifying yourself here but you might PM him.

How did Spencer look in LB drills? He was interviewed at one time and expressed a desire to stay in a 4-3 as a DE, have you heard of any shift in that stance? Since NE plays a 3-4, do you have any thoughts on mid-to-late round DE prospects who have the athleticism to cover TE/RB in the short area and play up on their feet?

Come to that, are there additions to the Pats' interview list stickied at the top which we haven't listed?

Hey BOR? Here's something I found on that site:)

"The most productive linebacker in this draft is Butkus Award Winner, Patrick Willis, Sr., ILB, Ole Miss. I could go on and on about Willis’ good speed, great instincts, elite intangibles, versatility, block shedding, and strength, but I think his production speaks for itself. Normally production isn’t enough to get you drafted, but this guy has everything else and his production speaks volumes. When I see this guy on film I see a quiet Ray Lewis, a Jonathon Vilma, a future dominant linebacker. It’s really an insult to defend him anymore, than this novel of a prospect profile, as the best overall linebacker in the draft. Willis is an all around great person and class act, who has the ability to be a top 15 pick, but will most likely fall to the late first round. He could be an heir apparent to an aging James Farrior in Pittsburgh, Teddy Bruschi in New England at either 24 or 28, or even better an instant success in San Diego replacing Donnie Edwards."

"The most productive linebacker in this draft is Butkus Award Winner, Patrick Willis, Sr., ILB, Ole Miss. I could go on and on about Willis’ good speed, great instincts, elite intangibles, versatility, block shedding, and strength, but I think his production speaks for itself. Normally production isn’t enough to get you drafted, but this guy has everything else and his production speaks volumes. When I see this guy on film I see a quiet Ray Lewis, a Jonathon Vilma, a future dominant linebacker. It’s really an insult to defend him anymore, than this novel of a prospect profile, as the best overall linebacker in the draft. Willis is an all around great person and class act, who has the ability to be a top 15 pick, but will most likely fall to the late first round. He could be an heir apparent to an aging James Farrior in Pittsburgh, Teddy Bruschi in New England at either 24 or 28, or even better an instant success in San Diego replacing Donnie Edwards."

As if Patsnutsme needed any more any more ammunition for his broken record campaign...:rolleyes:

Charming, odd though that he compares to Ray Lewis and Jonathon Vilma, neither of whom flourished in 3-4 if the rumors of Vilma being dangled by the Jets as a trade option are true. New England may need linebackers, but unless a pundit makes an effort to study a 3-4 they automatically assume the "best" ILB is a natural fit. What little of the Jets I watched did not show Vilma to be as dominant in the 3-4 as he was when protected behind the big bottoms of the 4-3.

The clips shown by Mike Mayock on NFL Network have shown two linebackers playing off of OL and making plays, Beason who was actually rushing and spun off to make a play, and Posluszny who was stacking and shedding just like a 3-4 ILB, though he was too far upfield when he took on the OL. Willis is a great kid who will be a dominant LB for many years, if he plays in a 4-3 - though he would be a good fit as a replacement for Donnie Edwards if they keep Wade's system. Keep trying to sell me, you may catch me on a bad hair day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back