PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building your draft board position by position - week 5: LB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two questions, help is needed.

1) What are the general thoughts on these guys at OLB?

Round 1
Moss, *Jarvis Florida 1-2 6-7 250 4.70 - skinny but has an high upside

Round 3+
Moses, Quentin Georgia 2-3 6-5 261 4.82 - he is sliding and could be a sleeper
Abiamiri, Victor Notre Dame 3 6-4 267 4.80 - seems like he may not be athletic enough
Bazuin, Dan Central Michigan 3 6-3 266 4.77 - seems like he may not be athletic enough
Atkins, Baraka Miami 3-4 6-5 271 4.69 - bigger guy not that fast but he has made an impact in every game I saw

2) Any chance these guys can convert to ILB?
Shaw, Tim Penn State 3-4 6-2 236 4.51
Everett, Earl Florida 3-4 6-3 238 4.73
Barnes, Antwan Florida International 3-4 6-1 240 4.43
Black, Quincy New Mexico 4 6-2 240 4.42
Burgess, Prescott Michigan 6-7 6-4 240 4.82
Hickman, Justin UCLA 6-7 6-2 254 4.75
Moss - There was a report regarding a National radio interview Moss gave where it gave the appearance of some sort of drunkeness or substance abuse. That gave me pause in terms of his maturity. I'm sure the Pats will do their due diligence. The most likely "deal killer" is being a conversion project in rounds one or two.
Moses - Bargain presumes he'll bounce back from whatever caused his senior year to be so underwhelming. I can't see him being a good value on Day one, a speculative pick round 6 or 7, or a UDFA signing seems like the wiser policy.
Abiamiri - He might be capable of developing into a 3-4 DE, I don't see him as a LB.
Bazuin - He interests me, if he slid to the second day I'd give him strong consideration.
Atkins - I need to read up on him.
Shaw - Falls below my measurables minimum.
Everett - Falls below my measurables minimum.
Barnes - He's borderline for my measurables, I need to look at him again, but suspect he's more attractive to Cover-2 programs.
Black - He's borderline for my measurables, I need to look at him again, but suspect he's more attractive to Cover-2 programs.
Burgess - I thought he looked very uncomfortable playing off the line in the Senior Bowl, when they moved him down on the line he looked much better. I'd consider him for OLB with a 6th round comp or later.
Hickman - Seems worth a late round/UDFA flyer.

Moses - Bargain presumes he'll bounce back from whatever caused his senior year to be so underwhelming. I can't see him being a good value on Day one, a speculative pick round 6 or 7, or a UDFA signing seems like the wiser policy.

As far as draft value, I do agree that he would be a bargin if bounced back, but IMO round 6 is a bit low before considering him. Somewhere around round 4, would be a okay spot for a speculative pick in my opinion. We did get Sir Klecko in that round I believe.

Last edited:
As far as draft value, I do agree that he would be a bargin if bounced back, but IMO round 6 is a bit low before considering him. Somewhere around round 4, would be a okay spot for a speculative pick in my opinion. We did get Sir Klecko in that round I believe.
The Pats indeed drafted Danny in the 4th, though I'd prefer Moore, or Robison, or one of those nice big Safeties before Moses in the fourth.

As I said before Harris is a good LB, but he needs to work on his hand work, and technique. I think he has very good recognition skills though, so he could turn into a very good backer. I don't think he is as good against the run as Woodley, or Bradley, and not as good of a pass rusher as Woodley.

Its the other way around. They are not as good against the power run as he is. Woodley gambles and shoot-the-gap-penetrates, so he get more of TFLs but that isn't BB football. Bill would rather you stopped them at the scrimmage line 9 times out of 10, rather than get 1 TFL from shooting and then give up a couple of longer runs, when you guess wrong.

I believe Harris to be the best against the power run coming right at him in the hole, of anybody coming out, Willis including. Harris doesn't look spectacular, he just diagnoses, anticipates, gets to the hole early, squares up, and stops the forward momentum with a form punch and wrap up tackle. He just seems to put on a coaching clinic of fine technique over and over. Not fancy but brutally consistent and effective.

The only criticism that I've heard is that he doesn't have exceptionally long arms, so that should mean blockers can get into his body. But his arms are not short; their average to average long. His form and technique prevents blockers getting into his chest.

Harris doesn't do as many things as Willis, but what he does do is superb. It just turns out that what he does do, is the exact job description of a Patriots 3-4 SILB. Harris squares up is in great position you don't see him bounce back from a block or tackle it the other guy that stops and goes backward. H doesn't arm tackle much either, H shuffles into the correct hole and uses his butt and legs to provide the power to stop run blocking or RBs.

You are quite right, Woodley is a much better pass rusher than Harris, and I think that is what you would expect from a one gap penetrating 4-3 DE.

I've only seen Bradley a few times and at the combine, so I can't comment on him as much

OLB - First Round
Anthony Spencer DE (OLB) Purdue 6-3 266 4.70 1.64/2.74 - I was fortunate to catch a few Boilermaker games this year, and Spencer struck me right away as somebody who could make a fairly easy transition.

Other First Day
Victor Abiamiri DE (OLB) Notre Dame 6-5 271 4.80 1.56/2.75

LaMarr Woodley DE (OLB) Michigan 6-2 269 4.68

Dan Bazuin DE (OLB) Central Michigan 6-3 265 4.77 1.59/2.75

Second Day Picks
Marquies Gunn DE (OLB) Auburn 6-4 262 4.79 - Looks much better on field than his measurables would indicate.
Michael Heard DE (OLB) Mississippi State 6-2 268 4.77
Darrell Burston DE (OLB) Florida State 6-2 245 4.65
Kyle Caldwell DE (OLB) Arizona State 6-3 270 4.73

UDFA - I'll just include a writeup I found of an intriguing long-shot:
Robin Gamble Miles (AL) ...Robin Gamble is one of the finest small school defensive ends in the nation. DII Miles College (Birmingham, AL) doesn't even keep stats, but Robin had three sacks in the two games we scouted and has very impressive raw numbers to back up his resume. He measured in at his pro day (on 2-16-07 at Legion Field) at 6'5.5," and 270 pounds. He ran 4.74, 4.78 and 4.83 in his three heats at forty yards (timed by an NFL scout for the K.C. Chiefs), did a 37.5" vertical, a 9'5" broad jump, and a very respectable 7.22 cone drill, and 4.63 short shuttle. He also did 24 reps and has 36" arms and 10.5" hands. He needs to be coached up, but already possesses a nice club move. He played LB some in college too, and could be looked at as an OLB.

ILB - First Day
David Harris ILB Michigan 6-2 243 4.59 1.53/2.59 - I wouldn't oppose taking him in the first if there's no better value, but I'd prefer to get some other positions nailed down and grab one of the next two in the third.

Zak DeOssie ILB Brown 6-4 245 4.58 1.56/2.62

Stewart Bradley LB Nebraska 6-4 254 4.76 1.56/2.71 - Something doesn't feel right about him, although I can't put my finger on it.

Second Day
Desmond Bishop ILB California 6-2 242 4.78 1.59/2.75 - Question mark due to size

Anthony Waters ILB Clemson 6-3 242 4.59 - Question mark due to injury

Quinton Culberson OLB Mississippi State 6-1 242 4.78 1.59/2.76 - Question Mark due to size

Marvin Mitchell ILB Tennessee 6-3 252 4.84 1.62/2.84 Question mark due to character

Last edited:
ILB, I'm looking for:
1. A nose for the ball.
2. An ability to play through trash.
3. An ability to fight off blocks.
4. Great tacklers.
5. Decent short area coverage.
Minimum measurables: 240 lbs, 5'11", 4.8-ish 40

The prototypical Pats' 3-4 ILB is 6'2" to 6'4" 250 lbs. I use the minimum measurables to find players who could hopefully be bulked up to the prototype weight. At 5'10" Izzo is the shortest LB since 2001 checking past rosters, while 6'1" Bruschi is the shortest starter. Height in LBs is like height in QBs, in a crowd of tall and wide people those extra inches help you find the ball and read the field. The other aspect of height is it's correlation to arm length, longer arms allow defenders to fend off blockers.

There is no first round ILB who meets my minimum measurables (Willis' last weigh-in had him at 237).

Second Round

David Harris (Michigan): Classic two down run stuffer with limited upside. He weighed-in at 245 for his Pro-day, another 5 lbs is probably doable.

Stewart Bradley (Nebraska): My #1 ILB prospect. Nobody is very excited about him, but everyone likes his motor, his instincts, his smarts, and his ability to take on blocks. One site compared him to Vrabel & Bruschi, a player with uninspiring measurables who consistently makes plays using his smarts/instincts/motor. A SLB, he also has exposure to MLB and DE, solid run stuffer and okay in coverage.

Third Round

Zak DeOssie (Brown): His Combine impressed people, bringing him to national attention. Most draft sites I've checked see him as a second day prospect, usually in the 4th round, but some of the "chatter" suggests he may not be available if the Pats wanted him and waited for their 4th round chance.

Brian Robison (Texas): Some consider him a workout warrior, others see him as a productive if unexciting player. His Combine performance was athletic, but reportedly expected. He looked very smooth in LB drills, a MLB in High School, he worked at the position on the scout team and started three games there in his Texas career. He's an outstanding Special Teamer and like DeOssie may not be there in the 4th if the Pats want him.

Sixth round

Desmond Bishop (California): A two down run stuffer, not very athletic, but consistent in his production.

Anthony Waters (Clemson): Another run stuffer, he reportedly does well taking on blockers. He's coming off a knee injury.

UDFA

Justin Warren (Texas A&M): Another two down run stuffer. Three year starter.

Ded Harrington (Missouri): Played Safety in high school and his freshman year, moved to OLB, then to MLB his Sophomore year. Pro-day results indicate good athleticism, at 6'3" 248 he fits the prototype for a Patriot 3-4 ILB. One of the sixth round comp picks may be wisely spent to secure him.

Kevin "Boo" McLee (West Virginia): Probably no more than a two down run stuffer, he showed good instincts for coverage as well as run stopping in the Senior Bowl. His Pro-day shows poor straightline speed, but excellent change of direction for a big ILB.

Mike D'Andrea (Ohio State): Despite missing most of his college career due to a knee injury, D'Andrea continues to rehab and reports he hopes to work out for scouts in June. He has the size, missing college competition doesn't help him, but as a UDFA he'd be a low cost/low risk test case.

Could someone explain me the role of SILB and WILB? Thx.
I'll try with my understanding of the similarities emphasizing the differences, all in reference to the Pat's version of the 3-4 Defense.

Firstly the WILB and SILB positions are different. Between them they split up the area assigned to the MLB in a 4-3, so they need LESS range or outright speed than a MLB, not that there is anything wrong with having speed.

Since the TE usually lines up on the right side, teams usually run to their right, since they have an extra blocker to that side creating the "Strongside". The Defense responds by putting its better run defense DE and OLB to that side. They also do that for the better run defense ILB, and he is labeled the SILB as a consequence.

SILB
When the TE goes out for a pass the initial coverage is given to the SILB since he is closest to him and then hands off to the rest of the Defense depending on the TE route. He gets the initial chuck so being strong with his punch can be disruptive. When the TE stays in to block, he drops in to a short zone to pick up the FB circling out of the backfield. The SILB is usually the stay home LB making sure that the draw is covered and to prevent the QB scrambles. He need have less talent as a blitzer as a consequence. TJ wasn't anywhere as talented as Tedy as a pass rusher. That was one reason that Tedy was a WILB. The overriding thing to remember is that the SILB stops the power run right at him. He needs the ability to take on a G or a TE or a TE/FB/C and shed the blocks and still fill the hole and prevent the RB from having an open hole.

WILB
Since the TE is usually not lined up near his side there are less blockers there. He still needs to take on a G or a G/FB block but usually it is one blocker. The WILB needs to shed the block or do a Jui-Jitsu move to slip a block. He needs to be able to tackle and stop the run. One of Tedy's great abilities is this ability to prevent blockers getting into his body and to slip blocks. The run is more likely to be wider to this side merely because there is less available interior power blockers to use.

On the other hand, the better run DE is on the stronside, so the better pass rusher is on the weak side. He may have taken himself out of the play in a blitz or pass rush, so there is liekly more ground to cover. The RB that circles out of the backfield is his initial responsibility too, He is likely to be the faster and less powerful RB so it' s more difficult to cover him. As a consequence the Defense has more speed to that side in general, including the WILB. His pass coverage tend to be more zone coverage to take the hand off of the FB/TE crossing the formation from the strong side.

Similarities: Both have to be able to avoid the trash,(IE not trip over the sprawled bodies on the ground), diagnose, anticipate, get to the hole, shed/slip a block, and tackle the runner, CONSISTENTLY, without being dragged backward too much. The SILB needs more capability here then the WILB but they both need that talent. OTOH, the WILB needs greater range than the SILB and better zone coverage for the pass. The WILB may also have more blitzing talent but that is a relative luxury. If all the WILB can do is to pass rush to prevent the QB stepping up into the pocket, he has done his pass rush job. The SILB doesn't need much blitzing talent at all, but needs to be able to contain, since he is the stay home cleanup guy.

In both situations having a talent not required for hsi position, allows flexibility to cross up the Offense. A SILB who can blitz or a WILB who has the tackling and shed of a SILB is not wasted. Sometimes the TE lines up along side the LOT and the WILB and WILB responsibilities change to the other type. So a WILB who can occasionally act like a SILB , or a SILB who can occasionally act like a WILB, is all to be favored.

Summary SILB great shed, great run tackler, less pass coverage area to cover. WILB little less ability to shed but needs to tackle; maybe more speed. More coverage area to cover, but perhaps less man-to-man coverage ability, more zone coverage. Blitzing ability is more highly sought.

Last edited:
Its the other way around. They are not as good against the power run as he is. Woodley gambles and shoot-the-gap-penetrates, so he get more of TFLs but that isn't BB football. Bill would rather you stopped them at the scrimmage line 9 times out of 10, rather than get 1 TFL from shooting and then give up a couple of longer runs, when you guess wrong.

I believe Harris to be the best against the power run coming right at him in the hole, of anybody coming out, Willis including. Harris doesn't look spectacular, he just diagnoses, anticipates, gets to the hole early, squares up, and stops the forward momentum with a form punch and wrap up tackle. He just seems to put on a coaching clinic of fine technique over and over. Not fancy but brutally consistent and effective.

The only criticism that I've heard is that he doesn't have exceptionally long arms, so that should mean blockers can get into his body. But his arms are not short; their average to average long. His form and technique prevents blockers getting into his chest.

Harris doesn't do as many things as Willis, but what he does do is superb. It just turns out that what he does do, is the exact job description of a Patriots 3-4 SILB. Harris squares up is in great position you don't see him bounce back from a block or tackle it the other guy that stops and goes backward. H doesn't arm tackle much either, H shuffles into the correct hole and uses his butt and legs to provide the power to stop run blocking or RBs.

You are quite right, Woodley is a much better pass rusher than Harris, and I think that is what you would expect from a one gap penetrating 4-3 DE.

I've only seen Bradley a few times and at the combine, so I can't comment on him as much

His technique is not on the level you make it out to be. He is good and I would draft him, but as I said before Harris still needs some work on his technique, and especially his hand work. I'll find you three different scouting reports saying the exact same thing. Also, he does have short arms, they're only 30¾ inches.

compare 30¾ to:
LaMarr Woodley - 32 7/8-inch
Prescott Burgess - 33 1/8-inch
Juwan Simpson - 32¾-inch
Desmond Bishop - 32-inch
Anthony Waters - 33-inch
Earl Everett - 31¾-inch
Brandon Siler - 32 1/8-inch
Buster Davis - 31¼-inch
Lawrence Timmons - 32 1/8-inch
Nate Harris - 31½-inch
Bradley Stewart - 32 1/8-inch
HB Blades - 31 ½-inch
Jon Abbate - 31 5/8-inch
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles

Last edited:
So basically having a linebacker who can get to the QB is never wasted although it may be a luxury at some positions in the 3-4? I still like Willis and I think he can gain more weight without losing quickness. I see him as 240 with ability to add 10 more lbs. The reports are he lost 5 lbs to run faster for his pro day. Big deal. I don't buy him being undersized. He's bigger than Vilma, whom the front office reportedly liked, and he is just as athletic/fast.

I pretty much have our 3rd round pick earmarked for DeOssie because he has ideal size although some projections have him playing more as OLB. But he has experience playing both inside and out. So he could be a very strong developmental project that could provide depth inside or outside. And let's be realistic when we are talking about drafting linebackers for the Pats, just about any linebacker we take won't make an impact in the starting lineup till year 2 at earliest.

If you define the WILB as the linebacker that needs to drop back in coverage and cover the TE, then WILB is actually the position that underperformed the most in the playoffs and was a weakness. So I'd go after WILB talent first in this draft as that seems harder to find. For SILB talent I see Desmond Bishop as a real possibility on the 2nd day to play a 2 down run stuffing role.

It will be interesting to see how the draft shakes out since a lot of the ILB prospects are really 2nd round or later. We might see a tradedown if the Pats are targetting this position.

Last edited:
So basically having a linebacker who can get to the QB is never wasted although it may be a luxury at some positions in the 3-4? I still like Willis and I think he can gain more weight without losing quickness. I see him as 240 with ability to add 10 more lbs. The reports are he lost 5 lbs to run faster for his pro day. Big deal. I don't buy him being undersized. He's bigger than Vilma, whom the front office reportedly liked, and he is just as athletic/fast.

I pretty much have our 3rd round pick earmarked for DeOssie because he has ideal size although some projections have him playing more as OLB. But he has experience playing both inside and out. So he could be a very strong developmental project that could provide depth inside or outside. And let's be realistic when we are talking about drafting linebackers for the Pats, just about any linebacker we take won't make an impact in the starting lineup till year 2 at earliest.

If you define the WILB as the linebacker that needs to drop back in coverage and cover the TE, then WILB is actually the position that underperformed the most in the playoffs and was a weakness. So I'd go after WILB talent first in this draft as that seems harder to find. For SILB talent I see Desmond Bishop as a real possibility on the 2nd day to play a 2 down run stuffing role.

It will be interesting to see how the draft shakes out since a lot of the ILB prospects are really 2nd round or later. We might see a tradedown if the Pats are targetting this position.

The Scouting reports I've read say Willis has the frame to put on another 10-15lbs. That's on top of his then listed 242lbs. So he could play at 252-257lbs, and still be a very good LB. From looking at Willis myself I happen to agree with this opinion. Oh, and he's not undersized.

On DeOssie people need to remember in a recent interview with Reiss DeOssie said he is an OLB, and wants to play OLB in the NFL. He's also had some injury problems.

I think you nailed it when you said taking a SILB early doesn't make as much sense. I'd rather go after Willis, or another WILB in the first, second (trade), or third. There seems to be more SILB run stuffer types in this draft, and I think Desmond Bishop in the later rounds would fit that role perfectly. Why waste a 1st, or 2nd (if they trade) on a SILB, when they can still land good ones later in the draft. Personally, I think Bishop would be awsome in NE's system as a run stuffing SILB.

Last edited:
You guys want Willis, so you project him playing at 15 pounds more than his likely playing weight. Maybe, but not likely; IMHO not worth two firsts or a first and a third.

You guys want Willis, so you project him playing at 15 pounds more than his likely playing weight. Maybe, but not likely; IMHO not worth two firsts or a first and a third.

His playing weight is 240-242lbs, which is fine. I am just saying he has the frame (not just according to me) to add an additional 10-15lbs. I think he'd be fine at 242 (his weight at the combine), but it should be noted that he could play heavier. Personally I don't think he's undersized at all. Look at Bruschi, he's 247lbs, and the same height as Willis, while not being as fast.

Honestly, I think the people saying he's undersized don't know what their talking about. We're talking about a WILB, not a run stuffing SILB, or an OLB. Also, some of the same people saying Willis is to small happen to support a simular sized David Harris at SILB....

I wouldn't trade both first for any player in this draft. I'd trade both first to GB for their first, and second though:)

Last edited:
Nope, we don't know what we're talking about. You know better. 241 is fine with you. Congrats! My PERSONAL opinion is that the patriots will not draft an ILB whose playing weight is 241. What matters is not what other teams require, or what you want; it is what bb wants, and what he has always wanted.

His playing weight is 240-242lbs, which is fine. I am just saying he has the frame (not just according to me) to add an additional 10-15lbs. I think he'd be fine at 242 (his weight at the combine), but it should be noted that he could play heavier. Personally I don't think he's undersized at all. Look at Bruschi, he's 247lbs, and the same height as Willis, while not being as fast.

Honestly, I think the people saying he's undersized don't know what their talking about. We're talking about a WILB, not a run stuffing SILB, or an OLB. Also, some of the same people saying Willis is to small happen to support a simular sized David Harris at SILB....

I wouldn't trade both first for any player in this draft. I'd trade both first to GB for their first, and second though:)

Nope, we don't know what we're talking about. You know better. 241 is fine with you. Congrats! My PERSONAL opinion is that the patriots will not draft an ILB whose playing weight is 241. What matters is not what other teams require, or what you want; it is what bb wants, and what he has always wanted.

Obviously what BB & Pioli want is all that matters, but who's to say Willis isn't what they'll want? None of us know if Willis is even on their radar. My personal opinion is that he's not undersized, and could even gain 10-15lbs making him a very good sized backer, but that's my opinion. Again though I don't think he would have to gain that weight to be effective, but I think he very easily could. Just going by size there's not much difference between a 6'1" 242lbs LB, and a 6'2" 239-245lbs LB, especially when the first LB has longer arms.

Bruschi 247
Colvin 249
Alexander 240
Don Davis 235
Izzo 228
Claridge 249

Bruschi 247
Colvin 249
Alexander 240
Don Davis 235
Izzo 228
Claridge 249

I'm always happy to find someone who gives Izzo a thumbs up to start! :rocker:

For OLB I'm looking for;
1. A nose for the ball.
2. An ability to play through trash.
3. An ability to fight off blocks.
4. Great tacklers.
5. Speed and/or power off the edge.
6. Decent short area coverage.
Minimum measurables: 250 lbs, 6'3", 4.8-ish 40

The prototypical Pats' 3-4 OLB is 6'3"-6'5" 250+. Height at OLB serves to do more than help player vision and suggest longer arms, it's useful in clogging the throwing lanes to help create Quarterback pressure with those longer arms. All of the Patriots' OLBs are former College DEs.

Previously listed ILBs who may also play at OLB:
Stewart Bradley (Nebraska)
Zak DeOssie (Brown)
Brian Robison (Texas)
Ded Harrington (Missouri)

First Round Folks have already been entertained by my fantasy of landing Adam Carriker for OLB. The other two top DEs in this draft Gaines Adams and Jamaal Anderson both have change of direction speeds which suggest they could work okay at OLB. I don't expect any of the three to drop far enough for the Pats to land, but both Carriker and Anderson have the size to play 3-4 DE if they were to be tested and to fail at OLB - nice to have a fall back plan on a conversion project carrying such a high draft tag.

Second Round

LaMarr Woodley (Michigan): A trifle short, Woodley comes from a program with 3-4 exposure, he also is an effective edge rusher. His former team mate came in as a UDFA last year and proved more capable then expected, Woodley presumably would also make the adjustment faster then players from another program.

Third Round

Dan Bazuin (Central Michigan): Another productive pass rusher in college. May be a better candidate to slide inside, but should get his introduction outside.

Jay Moore (Nebraska): Looked very smooth in LB drills at Combine, had a very nice Senior Bowl. Some have him as high as round two, and as late as round five.

Sixth Round

Jacob Ford (Central Arkansas): Reported to have been used at OLB in Inta-Juice All-Star Classic, demonstrating fluid athleticism in space despite having been a knuckle-down DE, he even made a leaping interception.

Prescott Burgess (Michigan): Inconsistent playing OLB at Michigan, Burgess was invited to the Senior Bowl where he looked shaky playing off the line of scrimmage, but when moved down on the line made a much better showing. He'd be a better UDFA pick-up to try out in a 3-4 OLB role and perhaps develop on the Practice Squad.

Justin Hickman (UCLA): Developed as an effective sack artist, has the athleticism to play 3-4 OLB if a tad short for the job, might eventually move inside but will need time to develop for either position and may be a better value as a UDFA.

UDFA

Justin Rogers (Southern Methodist): Decent size, change of direction numbers a bit slow, but no harm if signed as a UDFA.

Kyle Bessinger (UAB): DE with athletic Pro-day numbers.

Abraham Wright (Colorado): Led Big 12 in sacks in 2006. OLB while in Junior College. Improved his slow 40 from the Combine at the CU Pro-day.

Jason Trusnik (Ohio Northern): ONU’s all-time career leader with 43 sacks and 85 TFL.

Matt King (Maine): High school LB. 2006 AFCA Division I-AA Coaches’ All-America Team: Matt King was second in the nation with 11.5 sacks and sixth in tackles for a loss with 18, and helped anchor a defense that finished No. 2 in total defense at 229.91 yards per game. Decent 3-cone and 40 from his Pro-day.

Bruschi 247
Colvin 249
Alexander 240
Don Davis 235
Izzo 228
Claridge 249

Colvin doesn't belong on a list of WILBs, though the point is well-made: weighing 250+ is not a prerequisite to play WILB.

Lately I've heard and read that Beason and Siler are potential WILB fits here.
Frankly, I've never considered them as ILB candidates for us at all. My choices for ILB (S or W) at 24 and 28 have been: Willis, Posluszny and Harris. Are these other two worthy of our consideration for ILB at 24 and 28?

Jacob Ford (Central Arkansas): Reported to have been used at OLB in Inta-Juice All-Star Classic, demonstrating fluid athleticism in space despite having been a knuckle-down DE, he even made a leaping interception.

Ford is intriguing me more and more in this weak OLB crop. He's a project (and a few years older than most to boot) but he has that explosiveness that's so key to the position -- his 10/20 splits are terrific.

Also, I still consider Zak DeOssie an OLB, but I won't rehash that old discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots