PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building the next dynasty: one fan's misguided plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta disagree on several of your points.

1) Sauerbrun isn't better than Josh Miller. For all of his ability, he's not nearly as accurate and he doesn't get the hang time that Josh does. Look at the play-offs and compare Sauerbrun's stats to Miller's before his injury. Sauerbrun had 9 of 16 punts returned for a 9 yard average. Miller had 43 punts and 18 returned. Prior to the Minnesota game, the punt coverage team allowed 12 returns for 67 yards or about 5.58 yards per return. The longest returnthe coverage team allowed was 71 yards by Mewelde Moore, but that was more of a coverage breakdown than Millers fault.

2) Tim Rattay - Savvy Veteran? Hmm.... Maybe. But there must be a reason the Pats haven't brought him in before...

3) Wes Welker is a RFA as well. It will be interesting to see where the Dolphins put their offer. I could see them going with a 3rd tier offer as Welker was their best receiver last year. That would put Welker off the radar in a hurry.

4) Heath Evans - He's a JAG. If he's back, ok. If not, its no big loss. I'd prefer a guy who Brady is willing to trust to catch the ball.

1) Sauerbrun isn't better than Josh Miller. For all of his ability, he's not nearly as accurate and he doesn't get the hang time that Josh does. Look at the play-offs and compare Sauerbrun's stats to Miller's before his injury. Sauerbrun had 9 of 16 punts returned for a 9 yard average. Miller had 43 punts and 18 returned. Prior to the Minnesota game, the punt coverage team allowed 12 returns for 67 yards or about 5.58 yards per return. The longest returnthe coverage team allowed was 71 yards by Mewelde Moore, but that was more of a coverage breakdown than Millers fault.

If Josh Miller can recover fully from his shoulder injury he is a better punter than Sauerbrun. The only concerns with Miller are his age (37, 2 1/2 years older than Sauerbrun), and the fact the Pats have been stocking up on practice squad punters, which seems ominous for Miller's future. Still, both punters aren't spring chickens and health, not age, will probably be the deciding factor between the two. As for Sauerbrun's kicking beyond coverage... he had a shoddy first effort right off the street vs. Jacksonville, then tried to show off his leg vs. Tenn, and got reamed on the sideline by BB after the Pac Man punt return. After that incident, I thought he was much improved in the playoffs, and if Miller cannot recover fully, Sauerbrun seems like a legitimate full time option.

2) Tim Rattay - Savvy Veteran? Hmm.... Maybe. But there must be a reason the Pats haven't brought him in before...

One possible reason is that he may be best suited for the Bill Walsh offense, one of the reasons Gruden was high enough on him to make the trade in '05. Rattay was being groomed as a starter in SF after Garcia was $hitcanned, and performed decently but was hampered by injuries. He's short (6'0'') and got the "injury prone" tag, though some was the result of SF's then horrible O-line. The new regime came in and drafted A. Smith, and traded Rattay to cut ties with the past. Prior to this season, in 16 NFL starts and mop up duty spanning several seasons, Rattay threw for over 60%, 3,941 yards, 24 TDs and 18 Ints... and that was playing for SF. After Gradkowski was benched, Rattay came in and performed well vs. Chicago, leading the Bucs back from two 21 point deficits. He is an UFA and seems like a good veteran backup prospect, if he can be signed for a cap number close to what he got last year (1.3 million).

3) Wes Welker is a RFA as well. It will be interesting to see where the Dolphins put their offer. I could see them going with a 3rd tier offer as Welker was their best receiver last year. That would put Welker off the radar in a hurry.
Very true.

4) Heath Evans - He's a JAG. If he's back, ok. If not, its no big loss. I'd prefer a guy who Brady is willing to trust to catch the ball. True. But if the choice is between Evans and Pass, I prefer Evans. Yes, he is a JAG; but he's a good team player from a management perspective. I doubt we'll hear him griping to the press like Pass did when Deion was traded, and Evans is (obviosuly) much tougher than Pass.

ten characters

Last edited:
Why would we have 3 expensive probowl or near probowl-caliber OLB's AND pick an OLB in the first round??

Your age point seems to be invalid because Colvin and Thomas are in the prime of their careers. Vrabel is a little bit older, but then wouldn't picking Spencer solve the problem?

Why would we have 3 expensive probowl or near probowl-caliber OLB's AND pick an OLB in the first round??

Your age point seems to be invalid because Colvin and Thomas are in the prime of their careers. Vrabel is a little bit older, but then wouldn't picking Spencer solve the problem?

see posts #43 and #49... if you can bear it.:bricks:

Last edited:
id love to have TBC back, but it's all about the money..it depends at what price. Chatham? lol.. his best tackle was knocking the **** out of that streaker... first time he ever hit someone.

hahahha
i remember that
that was great
was it sb 38?

4) Heath Evans - He's a JAG. If he's back, ok. If not, its no big loss. I'd prefer a guy who Brady is willing to trust to catch the ball.

i agree
while sauerbrun has a stronger leg, the numbers def dont lie, miller is more effective, plus hes Jewish!!

ive actually been a big rattay backer for a few yrs now, but like you said, if they liked him before it seems as though they woulda aready brought him in, im not so sure i see him in a pats uni
we have a young guy in cassell, if we bring anyone in its a vet, not a vet thats been in the league for a handful of yrs, but a vet in the likes of vinny and flutie

im not as high on welker as everyone on here is

evans-this guy really confuses me
he doesnt really great at anything
however, if you look at all our long runs in teh second half of the yr
and evans was the lead blocker on the play

Evans wasn't considered a very good blocking FB when he was brought in with the Pats, but has really evolved into a solid lead blocker. If Graham doesn't come back next season I don't see any way the FO let's go of Evans. Patrick Pass can make some plays when he's on the field, but that's become so rare recently. It reminds me of the VORP (Value Over Replacement Player) statistic in baseball. Which is it better to have, a more talented guy who is on the field for 6 games, or a grind 'em out competitor for all 16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back