PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building my Patriots Big Board: WR's

Aside from Eagan who I don't know, that's a fine list and there's little I disagree with. I am higher than you on Cody Core, who I think competes in the same range with Peake as that outside guy, and Stephen Anderson who really interests me. For a tall slot guy, he gets open in a hurry. Anderson is someone I'd be happy with any time on day 3.

You might want to fix the link though, it takes you to a wordpress log in page, as it does with the link you posted on twitter.

Aside from Eagan who I don't know, that's a fine list and there's little I disagree with. I am higher than you on Cody Core, who I think competes in the same range with Peake as that outside guy, and Stephen Anderson who really interests me. For a tall slot guy, he gets open in a hurry. Anderson is someone I'd be happy with any time on day 3.

You might want to fix the link though, it takes you to a wordpress log in page, as it does with the link you posted on twitter.
Thanks for the heads up there. I have fixed both. Not sure what happened there. Receiver was tough for me and in turn, I was tough on them. Eagan is a fun watch.Again, a lot like Edelman.

Here is what I wrote down for Core, let me know what you think. He almost got a 7th round grade.
good size...long arms...high points the ball....struggles to locate ball in the air... fair amount of drops...good player but no traits to hang your hat on.

Thanks for the heads up there. I have fixed both. Not sure what happened there. Receiver was tough for me and in turn, I was tough on them. Eagan is a fun watch.Again, a lot like Edelman.

Here is what I wrote down for Core, let me know what you think. He almost got a 7th round grade.
good size...long arms...high points the ball....struggles to locate ball in the air... fair amount of drops...good player but no traits to hang your hat on.

I'll defer to you on the drops, it's not something I've noticed but you've probably watched more than me. Core is just someone who strikes me as the prototypical outside WR. Excellent size, good athleticism, can get deep but is comfortable going over the middle. He's how I picture an outside receiver. My one question with him is his ability to beat press.

I will say this though. There's no Deandre Smelter in this class. Man, I loved that guy.

Jordan Payton is another to watch if Bill can acquire an earlier Day 3 pick than those in the 6th round.

Then again, the WR class is so deep that maybe he slips into the 6th due to his lacking any outstanding traits other than his sure hands & route-running, and his willingness bordering on enjoyment to block.

Jordan Payton is another to watch if Bill can acquire an earlier Day 3 pick than those in the 6th round.

Then again, the WR class is so deep that maybe he slips into the 6th due to his lacking any outstanding traits other than his sure hands & route-running, and his willingness bordering on enjoyment to block.
Payton was one of those tough cut guys for me. I felt like I had some players with similar skill sets that I liked just a bit better.

I'll defer to you on the drops, it's not something I've noticed but you've probably watched more than me. Core is just someone who strikes me as the prototypical outside WR. Excellent size, good athleticism, can get deep but is comfortable going over the middle. He's how I picture an outside receiver. My one question with him is his ability to beat press.

I will say this though. There's no Deandre Smelter in this class. Man, I loved that guy.
Yeah, I was on that Smelter wagon with you last year. Maybe we have refocused that love onto Williams this year. Similar situation: extremely talented but will fall due to injury.

What about Moritz Boehringer with one of our many late round picks?
Yes he is raw, but he is very athletic and right now would have time to learn and develop.

What about Moritz Boehringer with one of our many late round picks?
Yes he is raw, but he is very athletic and right now would have time to learn and develop.
I had not seen any of him before I wrote this report up, so I didn't feel comfortable putting him on this list. From what I read the athletic traits are there, but he is not natural catching the ball. I would have no problem using a late round pick on a lottery ticket like him.

shepard keeps popping up in my draft sims

Shepard is one of my favourite prospects and I'd have no problems with us drafting him. I just don't think they're looking to go WR that early in the draft.

I love Shepard and he is my #1 binkie this draft. I think he is going to be sick good. However he is simply not an immediate need this year or next year. Nor is he going to be a HOFer most likely. I see him as a perfect Edelman 2.0 kind of player though but the Pats have more immediate needs and depending on who is there i would likely pass on him.

This is an outstanding look at the WRs in this class and how they succeeded, or failed based upon their play on the field. it analyses things like how they performed against different types of coverage, where they lined up, what routes they ran and so on. The only disappointment is that it dropped in the last week rather than some time ago.

Sterling Shepard and Rashard Higgins come out very well. it exposes Braxton Miller's lack of experience (for example, he almost always lined up in the slot or the backfield and almost never on the LOS) is exposed, but he was good at what he was asked to do. Tyler Boyd does not come out well.

Another interesting point on Braxton Miller. Although he had significantly less targets than the other receivers on the list, his % of targets caught is way ahead of anyone else. He caught 87.5% of his targets. The next highest was Josh Doctson with 74%. On the other hand, he had the lowest % of routes targeted on the list, suggesting his inexperience, and possibly the lack of confidence his QB had in him. So he has someway to go in learning to run routes, something we already knew. but when he does get open and is targeted, he catches the ball.

there is so much to unpick here, it would require an essay. I suggest you take some time to read it, it's very interesting, albeit nerdy. Will be useful if we draft one of these receivers.

Reception Perception: 2016 NFL draft prospects results

This is an outstanding look at the WRs in this class and how they succeeded, or failed based upon their play on the field. it analyses things like how they performed against different types of coverage, where they lined up, what routes they ran and so on. The only disappointment is that it dropped in the last week rather than some time ago.

Sterling Shepard and Rashard Higgins come out very well. it exposes Braxton Miller's lack of experience (for example, he almost always lined up in the slot or the backfield and almost never on the LOS) is exposed, but he was good at what he was asked to do. Tyler Boyd does not come out well.

Another interesting point on Braxton Miller. Although he had significantly less targets than the other receivers on the list, his % of targets caught is way ahead of anyone else. He caught 87.5% of his targets. The next highest was Josh Doctson with 74%. On the other hand, he had the lowest % of routes targeted on the list, suggesting his inexperience, and possibly the lack of confidence his QB had in him. So he has someway to go in learning to run routes, something we already knew. but when he does get open and is targeted, he catches the ball.

there is so much to unpick here, it would require an essay. I suggest you take some time to read it, it's very interesting, albeit nerdy. Will be useful if we draft one of these receivers.

Reception Perception: 2016 NFL draft prospects results
Yeah, Matt Harmon is great and his stuff is must read.
With Miller, his offense was predicated on running the ball as well, so I can see where his %'s would be down. With limited passes to go around and an inexperience player, they almost had to limit he route tree to make him effective.
good post-everyone should read this.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back