PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building my Patriots Big Board: Defensive Tackles

Excellent list. Some thoughts:

1. What is it you don't like about Sheldon Day?
  2. Not high on Jihad Ward? He's raw but he has great length and looks athletic on tape. Dominated at the Senior Bowl. Oodles of untapped potential although might be better suited as a 3-4 DE.
  3. Justin Zimmer sounds really intriguing.
  4. Dalvin Bryant? Join the bandwagon.
  5. Glad to see you've got Bullard top. A trade up for him wouldn't surprise me.
  6. Having said that, Ridgway and Sheldon Day would be a good way to fill the DT corps in a hurry.
  7. Adam Gotsis is someone I need to check out. Might need to stash him on IR for a year but he's got a good rep.
  8. Last but not least. Dean Lowry in the 6th would be a good way to double dip.

I think we should be able to get Lowry as a free agent, if bb so desires.

I think we should be able to get Lowry as a free agent, if bb so desires.

With so many players on the roster and 11 or so draft picks there might not be too many UDFAs this year.

Excellent list. Some thoughts:

1. What is it you don't like about Sheldon Day?
  2. Not high on Jihad Ward? He's raw but he has great length and looks athletic on tape. Dominated at the Senior Bowl. Oodles of untapped potential although might be better suited as a 3-4 DE.
  3. Justin Zimmer sounds really intriguing.
  4. Dalvin Bryant? Join the bandwagon.
  5. Glad to see you've got Bullard top. A trade up for him wouldn't surprise me.
  6. Having said that, Ridgway and Sheldon Day would be a good way to fill the DT corps in a hurry.
  7. Adam Gotsis is someone I need to check out. Might need to stash him on IR for a year but he's got a good rep.
  8. Last but not least. Dean Lowry in the 6th would be a good way to double dip.
Thanks for the thoughts Manx. Lets see if I can answer these questions.
1. As for Day-Short with Short arms and no room to grow. Looks to be a purely situational guy to me that didn't test as well as I had hoped to be a useful piece off the bench. I saw this experiment several years ago, his name was Dan Klecko.
2. I am not high on Ward. He did have a great Senior Bowl but I didn't see it on tape. He seemed to be constantly pushed back. A bit of a tweener for me. 3-4 end might be his best fit, but he needs to get some more sand in his pants. Love his hand work though.
3. It will be very interesting to see where he goes.
4. I am stumped on this one. Delvon Simmons of USC? I have no notes for a Dalvin Bryant. Please fill me in.
5. Why not try again. I love the idea of a player with his skillset on this team.
6. Rideway yes, Day....I have said my peace with him.
7. Gotsis was a tough cut for me, but the injury was a big concern. If he falls to late in the draft, I would have no issue with taking him. I had a lot of positive notes for him.
8. I have Lowry in my DE group (coming out tomorrow I hope) Stay tuned.

Ooooh, Brandin Bryant!!! Yeah, I will be honest, he kinda fell through the cracks. He definetely deserves a recheck though.
Thank you for bringing him back to my attention.

Sorry, my bad on the name, was going from, an ageing, memory.

Last edited:
Jonathan Bullard gets a better run stuff grade from PFF than Jarrah Reed and Austin Johnson.

Hello Dean Lowry

Yup, shows up on tape too. Very intriguing later round guy. I gave him a 5th/6th round grade and I am not sure if I have seen too many people higher than that on him. The 31" arms are weird and I wonder what he looks like in person. He won with timing, burst, and athleticism in college and needs to develop his pass rushing moves and counter moves, but there is a lot there to like.

Hello Dean Lowry

Jonathan Bullard gets a better run stuff grade from PFF than Jarrah Reed and Austin Johnson.

Along with the above two and Kalan Reed and Bronson Kaufusi, PFF and I are walking similar paths this year. Mind you, we did last year, three of their 'Top 10 Biggest Draft Steals' were binkies of mine (Grady Jarrett, Jacorey Shepard, TJ Clemmings) and two others became Patriots (Roberts, Flowers).

Either he or Ohio State's Michael Bennett, who was still available when Bill the Genius(snicker)
chose Matt Wells instead.

Last edited:
after reading some stuff about Vincent Valentine i thought that he would become probowler.
But then i found this article
Vincent Valentine, DL, Nebraska: 2016 NFL Draft Scouting Report

repeatedly ankle issues, and work etchic issue, again injury prone reach from BB.
Hope that i am wrong.
but after observating pats drafts from 2011, they can draft some first rounders and special team players. other are busts.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back