PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Build your Practice Squad - potential PS/developmental players

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This may be about the only thing left to break down.... I picked a bunch of players based on size/speed and some scouting reports but honestly I don't know anything about these guys please comment and add to the list.

Practice Squad Philosophy
For my money I like to see the PS stocked with the following types of players (Ron Borges disclaimer:Not entirely original, largely from a Kirwan article about depth from NFL.com):
  • LB - who can play special teams
  • CB/S - who can play special teams
  • OT/G - dire emergency type of player, developmental
  • C/G - dire emergency type of player, developmental
  • WR - who can play special teams
  • RB - who can play special teams
  • QB - rather than reserve a roster spot use PS to develop potential backup and reduce load on TB and MC
  • DT - dire emergency type of player, developmental
I have to admit I found it very strange to carry 2 PS Punters when it was relatively easy to pick up Walter and the Sauerbrun.

Looking forward to 2007, I am starting to comb through the late Day 2 picks and even UDFAs to come up with a list of PS type players:
  • Matt King, DE\OLB, Maine - 6'3, 257, 4.69 - good size speed ratio, productive in 1AA, 10.5 sacks in 06
  • Ded Harrington, ILB, Missouri -6-3, 248 , 4.68 - good size speed ratio
  • Danny Verdun Wheeler, OLB, Georgia - 6'2, 248, 4.69 - good size speed ratio
  • Craig Dahl, SS, North Dakota State - 6'2, 216, 4.53 - "Dahl is considered by some to be among the top special teams prospects in this draft"
  • Roy Hall, WR, Ohio State - 6'2, 229 - 4.46 - great size, top program
  • Ryan Moore, WR, Miami - 6'2, 217 - 4.54 - character all other concerns, was highly recruited out of HS
  • D.D. Terry, RB, Sam Houston State - 6'1, 196 - 4.46 - RB/WR/KR - appears to be an athelete without a position, if he likes football maybe he can be groomed to be a ST player and potential backup
  • Jeff Rowe, QB, Nevada - 6-5, 226 - threw for close to 3,000 yards 2 years in a row, 36-22 TD ratio (21-10 as a senior), 34 starts
  • Mike DeVito, DT, Maine - 6'4, 295, 4.92 - any Maine fans out there?
------------------------------------------------------
End of 2007 players on PS:
  • Brian Barthelmes, C
  • Danny Baugher, P
  • Sean Bubin, OT
  • Quadtrine Hill, FB/RB - like him a lot, good player at Miami
  • Matt Kranchick, TE
  • Tom Malone, P
  • Santonio Thomas, DT
  • James Patrick, DB - << not signed for 2007>>
Signed players who may be eligible for PS:
  • 62 Barthelmes, Brian C 6-6 300 1/28/83 R Virginia
  • Baugher, Danny P 5-10 195 1/24/84 R Arizona
  • 65 Britt, Wesley T 6-8 320 11/21/81 1 Alabama
  • 70 Bubin, Sean T 6-7 307 1/26/81 R Illinois
  • 13 Childress, Bam WR 5-10 185 3/31/82 1 Ohio State
  • Hill, Quadtrine RB 6-2 221 11/18/82 R Miami (FL)
  • 19 Kight, Kelvin WR 6-0 209 7/2/82 1 Florida
  • 45 Kranchick, Matt TE 6-7 260 12/13/79 3 Penn State
  • Malone, Tom P 6-0 205 3/29/84 R USC
  • 92 Thomas, Santonio DT 6-4 305 7/2/81 1 Miami (FL)

--------------------- Practice Squad Rules (now 3 years) ---------------------------------
Practice Squad Rules (now 3 years)
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/08/roster_wrinkle.html

August 31, 2006
Roster wrinkle
In a wrinkle that could change how some NFL teams stock their 53-man rosters, the NFL sent a memo to general managers and coaches yesterday regarding
practice squad eligibility.
In the past, eligible players could only spend two seasons on the practice squad. But the memo informed teams that eligible players can now serve a maximum
of three seasons on the practice squad if in the third season that team has 53 players on its active list throughout the year.
----------------------- PS FAQs -------------------------------
http://www.patscap.com/faq.html
From Miguel (old CBA, only difference as far as I know is the 2-3 year switch)
Q:Can you provide some information on practice squads??
A: After noon EST on September 3rd, each club may establish a Practice Squad of no more than eight (8) players who are free agents and who did not dress for
more than eight (8) regular season games during their only accrued (i.e., on the 53 man roster for at least 6 games) season. The minimum salary for a
Practice Squad player is $4,350 per week (a higher salary can be negotiated), including playoff weeks. In addition, a player under contract to a club as a
Practice Squad player is completely free to sign a contract with another NFL club during the season in order to be on the second club's Active/Inactive
(i.e., 53 man) list. If another club signs a Practice Squad player to its 53 man roster it does not have to provide any sort of compensation to the player's
former club but it generally must keep the player on the 53 man roster for at least 3 weeks, thereby mandating that he earns in 2006 the minimum first year
salary for said 3 week period ($275,000 prorated weekly). Also note that a team can add and release players from the practice squad as often as it desires
and the eight (8) man limit does not have to be maintained. A player may be on the practice squad for two <<-extended to 3 years in new CBA seasons; three
weeks on the practice squad count as a season

Last edited:
This may be about the only thing left to break down.... I picked a bunch of players based on size/speed and some scouting reports but honestly I don't know anything about these guys please comment and add to the list.

Practice Squad Philosophy
For my money I like to see the PS stocked with the following types of players (Ron Borges disclaimer:Not entirely original, largely from a Kirwan article about depth from NFL.com):
  • LB - who can play special teams
  • CB/S - who can play special teams
  • OT/G - dire emergency type of player, developmental
  • C/G - dire emergency type of player, developmental
  • WR - who can play special teams
  • RB - who can play special teams
  • QB - rather than reserve a roster spot use PS to develop potential backup and reduce load on TB and MC
  • DT - dire emergency type of player, developmental
I have to admit I found it very strange to carry 2 PS Punters when it was relatively easy to pick up Walter and the Sauerbrun.

Looking forward to 2007, I am starting to comb through the late Day 2 picks and even UDFAs to come up with a list of PS type players:
  • Matt King, DE\OLB, Maine - 6'3, 257, 4.69 - good size speed ratio, productive in 1AA, 10.5 sacks in 06
  • Ded Harrington, ILB, Missouri -6-3, 248 , 4.68 - good size speed ratio
  • Danny Verdun Wheeler, OLB, Georgia - 6'2, 248, 4.69 - good size speed ratio
  • Craig Dahl, SS, North Dakota State - 6'2, 216, 4.53 - "Dahl is considered by some to be among the top special teams prospects in this draft"
  • Roy Hall, WR, Ohio State - 6'2, 229 - 4.46 - great size, top program
  • Ryan Moore, WR, Miami - 6'2, 217 - 4.54 - character all other concerns, was highly recruited out of HS
  • D.D. Terry, RB, Sam Houston State - 6'1, 196 - 4.46 - RB/WR/KR - appears to be an athelete without a position, if he likes football maybe he can be groomed to be a ST player and potential backup
  • Jeff Rowe, QB, Nevada - 6-5, 226 - threw for close to 3,000 yards 2 years in a row, 36-22 TD ratio (21-10 as a senior), 34 starts
  • Mike DeVito, DT, Maine - 6'4, 295, 4.92 - any Maine fans out there?
End of 2007 players on PS:
  • Brian Barthelmes, C
  • Danny Baugher, P
  • Sean Bubin, OT
  • Quadtrine Hill, FB/RB - like him a lot, good player at Miami
  • Matt Kranchick, TE
  • Tom Malone, P
  • Santonio Thomas, DT
  • James Patrick, DB - << not signed for 2007>>
Signed players who may be eligible for PS:
  • 62 Barthelmes, Brian C 6-6 300 1/28/83 R Virginia
  • Baugher, Danny P 5-10 195 1/24/84 R Arizona
  • 65 Britt, Wesley T 6-8 320 11/21/81 1 Alabama
  • 70 Bubin, Sean T 6-7 307 1/26/81 R Illinois
  • 13 Childress, Bam WR 5-10 185 3/31/82 1 Ohio State
  • Hill, Quadtrine RB 6-2 221 11/18/82 R Miami (FL)
  • 19 Kight, Kelvin WR 6-0 209 7/2/82 1 Florida
  • 45 Kranchick, Matt TE 6-7 260 12/13/79 3 Penn State
  • Malone, Tom P 6-0 205 3/29/84 R USC
  • 92 Thomas, Santonio DT 6-4 305 7/2/81 1 Miami (FL)

--------------------- Practice Squad Rules (now 3 years) ---------------------------------
Practice Squad Rules (now 3 years)
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/08/roster_wrinkle.html

August 31, 2006
Roster wrinkle
In a wrinkle that could change how some NFL teams stock their 53-man rosters, the NFL sent a memo to general managers and coaches yesterday regarding
practice squad eligibility.
In the past, eligible players could only spend two seasons on the practice squad. But the memo informed teams that eligible players can now serve a maximum
of three seasons on the practice squad if in the third season that team has 53 players on its active list throughout the year.
----------------------- PS FAQs -------------------------------
http://www.patscap.com/faq.html
From Miguel (old CBA, only difference as far as I know is the 2-3 year switch)
Q:Can you provide some information on practice squads??
A: After noon EST on September 3rd, each club may establish a Practice Squad of no more than eight (8) players who are free agents and who did not dress for
more than eight (8) regular season games during their only accrued (i.e., on the 53 man roster for at least 6 games) season. The minimum salary for a
Practice Squad player is $4,350 per week (a higher salary can be negotiated), including playoff weeks. In addition, a player under contract to a club as a
Practice Squad player is completely free to sign a contract with another NFL club during the season in order to be on the second club's Active/Inactive
(i.e., 53 man) list. If another club signs a Practice Squad player to its 53 man roster it does not have to provide any sort of compensation to the player's
former club but it generally must keep the player on the 53 man roster for at least 3 weeks, thereby mandating that he earns in 2006 the minimum first year
salary for said 3 week period ($275,000 prorated weekly). Also note that a team can add and release players from the practice squad as often as it desires
and the eight (8) man limit does not have to be maintained. A player may be on the practice squad for two <<-extended to 3 years in new CBA seasons; three
weeks on the practice squad count as a season

It's not the amount of years that's in question for Bam, but how many games did he dress for? That's the question, how many games did he make the 45?

It's not the amount of years that's in question for Bam, but how many games did he dress for? That's the question, how many games did he make the 45?

He better hope for his sake he is elligible otherwise it is "thanks for coming out"

He better hope for his sake he is elligible otherwise it is "thanks for coming out"
Bam should be fine as far as his time while on the roster.

Bam is fine...it would be like Yates..3rd year on the PSqd...I am NOT sure about Britt... I think he may have used up his PSqd time..he did play in many games though...I think Thomas is also a 3rd year PSqd eligible..which is OK.
A nice list of UDFA possible...very possible!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes