Welcome to PatsFans.com

Buffett calls for retention of estate tax

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +487 / 20 / -17

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/financial_buffett_taxes_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Billionaire
    Warren Buffett on Monday called for U.S. lawmakers to retain the estate tax, after announcing plans to leave more than $37 billion of his own fortune to charity, not his children.

Buffett spoke after agreeing to sign over roughly $30.7 billion of his $44 billion fortune to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, run by the Microsoft Corp. chairman and his wife, and another $6.4 billion to foundations on behalf of his late wife Susan and his children.

"I would hate to see the estate tax gutted," Buffett said at a Manhattan news conference with the Gateses about his donation.

"It's a very equitable tax," Buffett said. "It's in keeping with the idea of equality of opportunity in this country, not giving incredible head starts to certain people who were very selective about the womb from which they emerged."

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +732 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Who cares. Just because some rich guy with more money than he knows what to do with wants the government to get his money doesn't make it right.

Anyone who feels the same way can put in their will that the money should go to the IRS. And other rich old men should mind their own business.

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +732 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

So we should all be taken away from our parents, too, and raised in orphanages. Because God knows all parents aren't equal. That's the oldest and stupidest arguement ever that he's making.

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

I'm sure Warren's family will be able to get by on a billion or 2, if you won a farm or a mid sized business often the family will have to give up the farm or business to pay off the gav, that isn't fair. If some rich guy wants to give it to the gov or whatever charity, bully for him.

All the assets of the deceased have already been taxed. No double taxation. BTW I haven't nor will inhetet anything. I do aspire to have something to leave my kids.

5. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Are you certain thats BILLION and not Millions?

That is a lot of donuts.

But I think I could make ends meet AND feed Ty and his kids with 7 or so billion leftover.