Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
A great, great time yesterday. Road trippin' to Buffalo is something I highly recommend to all Patriots fans. Tickets are usually plentiful and prices are affordable for travel/lodging/food, etc. Plus, we usually can expect to win in the Belichick era. I've made the trek three times and it's always been a blast.

Travel: I always drive. It's a straight shot down Interstate 90 the whole way, about seven hours from the junction of Route 495. It seems more like three hours, as you cruise in a straight line the whole trip with no city traffic to contend with. The drive home after the game is a breeze. The game was over at 4 p.m. and I was home in Lowell at 11:30 (this included stops for gas and eats en route).

Lodging: I stay at a motel in Batavia on Saturday night, just off I-90 about 40 minutes from the stadium. (So your first day's drive is six hours.) The motel is $74 including taxes.

Parking: Parking at or around Ralph Wilson Stadium is $5 to $15. We spent $10 to park a mile away and zipped into traffic immediately after the game. Lots of tailgating going on if you want to seize the opportunity.

The stadium experience: Not the nicest or most modern place, but serviceable with a sort of blue-collar atmosphere that Gillette lacks. Like at the Meadowlands, they hand you a free game program when you walk through the gate. The concourses are dark and sort of cramped and the in-stadium vending is pretty basic, but prices are cheaper by roughly $1 per item compared to Gillette. One HUGE plus is that no matter where in the stadium your seats are located, they allow fans to gather in the first rows of the lower bowl during warmups so you can get close to the players. It's fun to get a good look at the Pats and their coaches just a few feet away. During one warm-up drill they had the linebackers run toward the sideline and attempt catching a pass over their outside shoulder one-handed. Half the time they'd drop or bobble it, but I saw Roosevelt Colvin let out a holler when he snagged the ball with his left hand. There's only one replay screen, above the north end zone. Most of the seating is individual chair-type, but other parts of the stadium have aluminum benches with chair backs. The place holds noise well and can get loud. The Pats were loudly booed when they came out of the tunnel and the noise during third downs early in the game when New England had the ball was up there. So were the boos directed at the Bills when the first half ended. It rained off and on during the game but that was no problem if you came prepared. My heavy duty rain suit was a great investment! Our seats were in section 217, mid-level next to the sideline club seating. Three of the Pats' four touchdowns were scored at our end of the field, which was great.

The fans: Buffalo fans are OK folks but you can tell they really are frustrated. Late in the game a bunch of them in our section began to loudly chant, "Let's go Sabres!" (Buffalo's hockey team). One funny guy who decided he'd had enough midway through the fourth quarter stopped by my buddy and me to say, "Sorry for boring you the last three hours." On the way home we tuned in the 550-AM postgame show. Both the announcers and fans calling in were merciless in their bashing of the Bills. It was hard not to feel sorry for them. One caller complained about the large number of Pats fans at the game. The end zones were pretty much full of Patriots fans and the cheering during Pats scores and big plays was pretty loud. One final thing to add: There were two Bills fans sitting in the row in front of us, a young couple, and the young lady was pretty attractive. Then my buddy pointed out to me late in the game that she was chewing tobacco! I looked a little closer and sure enough, she had a chaw under her lower lip and was spitting into a cup. Not to be a regional chauvenist or anything, but I'm pretty sure that's one sight I'll never see in Gillette ... at least, I hope not.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. I had a great time in Buffalo last year.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

I went one year and went into downtown Buffalo where all the bars are, and let me tell you those people know how to party. Plus the bars stay open until 4 in the morning. I guess what else are you going to do when there's 2 feet of snow on the ground in October.

Great stuff, Tune. Made me feel like I was there.

This is a great idea, btw, for anyone who goes to the games on the road. It would be a great feature here to have reports like these so that the rest of us could get a sense of what it's like in those stadiums.

shmessy said:

This is a great idea, btw, for anyone who goes to the games on the road. It would be a great feature here to have reports like these so that the rest of us could get a sense of what it's like in those stadiums.

I really enjoyed Tune's post as well.

I'll certainly do one of these write-ups if I'm able to make it to the Miami game (which if they keep losing I surely will). :)

On the delayed post game TV report Felger mentioned the Sabres chant and said during warmups when Bob Kraft walked out onto the field a disgruntled group took up the "buy our team" chant.

Tunescribe great report!!! I've always wanted to do the Buffalo road trip but always decided on Miami (for obvious reasons) If someone has pictures I'd love to see them. Great idea to post a review with suggestions on road trips. I'll post something on the Green Bay and Miami road trips this year.

I'm a transplanted New Englander who lives in Buffalo. Went to school in Boston.

You pretty much captured a lot of what's going on around the Bills.

Since the Sabres are being called the best team in the NHL, it's no lie that they've taken attention away from the Bills. The truth is, after the Bills started the season looking decent, the fans really weren't expecting much because the question of the week for the third game was: which game would you rather see, which win would you rather have, Bills or Sabres (Sabres first game of the year). And a lot of people chose the meaningless NHL game.

As far as I can tell, this city is just like any number of Northeast cities. The people are no different. It's very East coast, it has the whole Catholic thing going that you get in the East, Irish, Italian, Polish. No different than Providence in my view.

shmessy said:

:agree: Reports like this from a fans perspective are always fun to read! Thanks Tune.

You got any pictures??

cblesz said:
You got any pictures??

No, but something to keep in mind for future trips.

thanks for this post

no photos pls ?

Thanks for the report. It was definitely a good, interesting read. I'll be sure to return the favor when I go to the Jacksoville game during week 16. I just hope the game is not meaningless and the Pats play the regulars the whole game. Although I wouldn't mind having clinched the #1 seed by then.

upstater1 said:
As far as I can tell, this city is just like any number of Northeast cities. The people are no different. It's very East coast, it has the whole Catholic thing going that you get in the East, Irish, Italian, Polish. No different than Providence in my view.

Very enjoyable report, Tune!

And an accurate sociology summary, upstater.
Probably Providence leans toward the Italian end of that mix ... with Buffy going more Polish.
Drop someone down in any mid-sized Northeastern city ... then remove the blindfold
... and who could tell where he is?

Don't know why your picking on young ladies chewing some snuff. I'm sure there are young ladies in the Boston area who stick metal objects in painful places to be fashionable and rebellious. Who get needlework done on their hides to fashionable and rebellious. Who smoke cigars and cigarettes to be fashionable and rebellious. Destructive behaviors aren't restricted to country yokels using snuff. I'm sure some of the ladies on here would cheerfully torment the designer who came up with high heels - what I'd do to the guy who created ties...:enranged:

An interesting travelogue Tune - you should get a job writing. ;)

Box_O_Rocks said:
Don't know why your picking on young ladies chewing some snuff.

I figured it was a matter of time before someone seized upon this. It's just that she was such a sweet young thing ... :eek:

Tunescribe said:
I figured it was a matter of time before someone seized upon this. It's just that she was such a sweet young thing ... :eek:
Music being an interest, check out this 1949 Lassie flick starring Jeanette McDonald for more on ladies and snuff - you'll enjoy it. :D
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040849/

Thanks for the great report! Buffalo is a good time. I've been there for a Sabres game and a night out on the town. If you're so inclined the drinks are cheap and the waitreses are cute believe it or not.

Love to road trip for the Pats some year but airfare from Denver is a bit too much.

Got to love the old school stadiums. Arrowhead is another of the last old great ones.

How the tables have turned. I remember in the Bill's heyday thousands of Bill's fans descending on Sullivan Stadium.

Enjoy it while we can.

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:

I'm no the same page with that.

It's like of like when the pretty girl at the party is the first to get sick.. all over herself.

Or when you're on a first date with a fine young thing and she belts a thunderburp after dinner. It just ain't right. Onions.

I went to the game too and agree with Tunescribe's assessment. We (hubby, 2 boys & me) flew from Boston to Buffalo on JetBlue. 80% Pats fans on the way out; 100% Pats fans on Monday morning coming back. Everybody in a great mood both ways! We stayed near the airport for $72 a night (clean, continental breakfast; nice pool for kids). There's tons to do in Buffalo! We took the kids up to Niagara Falls (only about an hour away) which was awesome (Canadian border patrol getting a little nasty though). Lots of good restaurants with cheap eats - we were with a friend who is a Buffalo native and took us to Ted's Hotdogs and the Anchor Bar downtown, which I guess is famous as the place that invented Buffalo wings. Great party atmosphere and lots of Pats fans there!

The stadium and game are as Tunescribe said. It is out in the middle of nowhere and reminds you of the old Fox. We were in the last row of the upper deck endzone (which we thought would be terrible) but because it is an old stadium you are much closer to the field and the seats were fine. Aluminum benches w/ seat backs (my butt froze just like the old days!!) We could stand without bothering anyone! Buffalo fans are devoted and frustrated. They know they are going nowhere with JP Lose-man. Interesting note on Buffalo sports radio - it is obviously owned by the same company as WEEI - they have the same announcer, Buffalo Bills Monday and the "Whiner Line." Their assessments of their team and their QB were brutally honest. The team doesn't believe in JP and they have basically quit. They pointed out that buffalo has 14 turnovers on the year and 12 of them have been committed by JP. Ouch. They are all expecting Craig Nall in two weeks if things don't improve.

The best part of the game for me was the end. Lots of Pats fans stayed until the end (unlike the Buffalo fans who [understandably] left early). They all gathered in the bowl of the endzone and cheered the Pats as they left the field. I thought our boys looked like they are really coming on during the game. Brady did really well in the 2nd half throwing accurate passes despite lots of pressure. Bruschi was all over the place prior to snaps and looked like he was giving JP fits.

Hope I haven't bored you! It was a great weekend and I would recommend the trip to any Pats fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes