Buffalo newspaper article on Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some more plaudits:

It's just that in Cassel's case, his confidence must have been otherworldly. Because, truth be told, there probably wasn't a person on the planet not surnamed Cassel who could have believed that the 26-year-old career backup — and we do mean "career" backup — would have been able to do what he has done this season for the Patriots.

And a tidbit I'd forgotten about:

Cassel was the fifth quarterback on the roster in 2005 training camp, but he beat out Rohan Davey and Chris Redman and served as third string behind Brady and Doug Flutie. Prior to this year, he had gone 22 of 39 for 253 yards with two TDs and two picks, all in mop-up appearances.

Heh,

I remember an interview with Cassel where he talked about what it was like in College, being behind TWO Heisman winners. He figured he seen enough of that, and he gets drafted by the Patriots, and ends up BEHIND another Heisman winner: Doug Flutie. :eek: What are the odds, eh?

You've got to like what Chris Kelsey had to say about Matt doing his job.

Just speaks to his spirit. He worked hard and never complained. Great athlete.

Heh,

I remember an interview with Cassel where he talked about what it was like in College, being behind TWO Heisman winners. He figured he seen enough of that, and he gets drafted by the Patriots, and ends up BEHIND TWO other Heisman winners: Doug Flutie and Vinny Testaverde. :eek: What are the odds, eh?
I fixed it for you....if you consider his entire time with the Pats...

Last edited:
I fixed it for you....if you consider his entire time with the Pats...

Actually, in a remarkable twist of fate, Cassel was ahead of Testaverde on the depth chart (he had to be--how else could he be Gostkowski's holder?).

Anyone who has ever listened to a Matt Cassel interview might conclude it really is not that surprising. Matt has such an even keel type of personality I could easily see him walking on water like he was walking on a sidewalk ... whatever might be raging inside looks very calm on the outside ... just like Brady ... hmmm:cool:

Actually, in a remarkable twist of fate, Cassel was ahead of Testaverde on the depth chart (he had to be--how else could he be Gostkowski's holder?).

Technically, yeah. But if Brady had been injured last year it would have been Vinny, not Matt who would have started the next game...
So he finally did beat out a Heisman winner!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back