PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Buffalo cut Jeff Posey

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Any interest?

Posey had his best season in Houston playing 3-4 OLB, with 8 sacks in 2002. Has good size and some pass rush skills.

He isn't a good fit for Buffalo's Tampa-2 style defense, so they let him go.

He is 31, but he would add depth at OLB, especially if Vrabel has to move back inside again.

Velly interesting, we'll have to see if SP has him on the radar and who else may bid for his services, but I had a good impression of his play while he was in Buffalo.

6"4 241. we seen him play...hes a good..not great but we can def. use him!

i hope we go after him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be surprised if Miami shows interest, since Dom Capers was his HC in Houston.

Here is a LINK

Last edited:
Aside from money issues, there's no good reason not to sign Posey. I do wonder, though, why Buffalo didn't try to trade him? Maybe he has a bloated contract number.

his cap was only 2.9 and releasing him saved 1.3 or something. i went to Bills forum and read a lot of dissapointments with the move..

they say he belongs in a 3-4...they say he was used to simply eat up blockers and free people up. many wish there was a role in this new D for him. they said he did what coaches asked. i hope we take ihm in

Buffalos not that deep at LB, correct?

That would be my only reservation. If he's any good, why cut him?

save cap..they like him enough to release him and let him have another team. Why pay $2.9 mill per year for a backup LB? They have young guys..Crowell is taking over and Spikes is back

Between Donnie Edwards, Ahmad Brooks and now Jeff Posey, you cannot say the Patriots don't have a lot of options for FA LB's.

This could get very interesting fast.

shmessy said:
Between Donnie Edwards, Ahmad Brooks and now Jeff Posey, you cannot say the Patriots don't have a lot of options for FA LB's.

This could get very interesting fast.

Didn't Cincinnati or somebody draft Brooks in the supplemental draft? And Edwards isn't a FA either. But with Posey, finally they can bring somebody in who's not going to cost them a player or draft pick.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
Didn't Cincinnati or somebody draft Brooks in the supplemental draft? And Edwards isn't a FA either. But with Posey, finally they can bring somebody in who's not going to cost them a player or draft pick.

Oops, I was wrong about Brooks - forgot that. An earlier thread here, however has Edwards in a very "low hanging fruit" situation with GM Smith in SD. That's a situation where we could trade a Beisel even up for Donnie - - Smith wants a bigger LB and Beisel has 15-20 pounds on Edwards and more youth.

I do agree with you that Posey wouldn't cost us personnel, so that is my pick too.

Last edited:
Never heard of him, but I'm sure he's good. :)

dryheat44 said:

That was my thought too.

Unless Posey was injured or lamed up somehow as part of the reason for his release, I'd say that if we stand Pat with him out there then the Coaches must like what they've seen from the younger/backup LBs that we already have.

I'm not saying tha Posey or Dez White wouldn't be good additions.

I just don't know why we get so excited about every guy tha gets cut from another team. We will be seeing a lot of this over the next four weeks.

I like both of those guys but it does send up a red flag that they are being released early in the preseason.

PATSNUTme said:
I'm not saying tha Posey or Dez White wouldn't be good additions.

I just don't know why we get so excited about every guy tha gets cut from another team. We will be seeing a lot of this over the next four weeks.

I like both of those guys but it does send up a red flag that they are being released early in the preseason.

Because their depth at WR and LB is a concern.

JackBauer said:
Buffalos not that deep at LB, correct?

That would be my only reservation. If he's any good, why cut him?
I know. If he isn't worth a future 7th round pick from anyone, what does that say about how all 32 personnel men look at him?

Crowell played so well at the Wil position after spikes injury that the coaches decided to keep him there and move spikes over to SLB...That left posey w/o a spot and to slow to play in the cover 2....

His best year was in the 3-4...

Remix 6 said:
they say he was used to simply eat up blockers and free people up. many wish there was a role in this new D for him. they said he did what coaches asked. i hope we take ihm in
Sounds perfect for the Patriots. My impression of him was always as a pretty stout guy. Taking on blockers ... that's what the Pats are all about on D in the front seven.

Jeff Posey is an average to good 3-4 OLB starter-quality linebacker. He doesn't fit the new Buffalo Defense where they are installing a small speed 4-3.

The new Buffalo Defense is going to be like the Tampa Bay 4-3 that won the SB in 2002. That Defense needs to produce lots of sacks and have very good CBs to work. The drawbacks of the system is that small speedy players also have problems staying healthy and its hard to find three good pass rushing DEs and three good shutdown CBs...

Posey would certainly add depth to OLB and make a Vrabel shift inside more easy to envision.

There is depth out there to be had in ILB Donnie Edwards (a fifth rounder?), and Jeff Posey FA, especially since the Pats DO NOT NEED starters. They believe they have them already; even though Beisel does not project to be a star. All they seem to need is an experienced reserve or two...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back