PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Buffalo Bills QB Kevin Kolb's concussion feared "career-ending"

re: Buffalo Bills QB Kevin Kolb's concussion feared "career-ending"

Was it a helmet on helmet collision or his head hitting the ground?

why career ending? I can't tell from reading that article.

Semi-OT: Bills QB Kevin Kolb's concussion feared "career-ending"

That sucks. Does anyone know of he will be paid? I hope so.

why career ending? I can't tell from reading that article.

had 2 previous major concussions before 2011. Last one had symptoms lasting 5-6 months i think.

He is done

Not that I mind NE winning so many AFCE titles recently, but wow - the other three teams are NOT getting any breaks this preseason. The sad/funny part is : even though Buffalo lost two QBs it seems, they are still leaps and bounds ahead of the NYJ right now...

Unless something crazy happens, two wins against Miami could give NE another playoff visit.

Kolb was not teh long term solution in Buffalo, EJ was on the verge of winning the QB competition anyways. Kolb's preseason was shaping up to be a backup and cut after the first year anyways.

had 2 previous major concussions before 2011. Last one had symptoms lasting 5-6 months i think.

He is done

This is sad , do you think the league will tell him it's over and force him out ? Can he play again if he recovers and wants to play again?

That sucks. Does anyone know of he will be paid? I hope so.

Article 45 of the new CBA provides that teams have injury liability for players still under contract:
* 50% of their current-year salary, up to $1M
* 30% of their year-after salary (if applicable), up to $500K

It mystifies me why modern sports science can't come up with a head/neck/jaw protection system that minimizes concussion risk.

It mystifies me why modern sports science can't come up with a head/neck/jaw protection system that minimizes concussion risk.

Or why the don't make the helmet outside softer and absorb the impact. And not a hard surface that transfers more energy to the head.

Or why the don't make the helmet outside softer and absorb the impact. And not a hard surface that transfers more energy to the head.

I've long thought that both the head and neck need to be protected in a helmet "system" attached to the shoulder pads. That way most of the collision energy would go to the shoulders and body. Like having the helmet mounted on something akin to those "donut" neck pads some players wear, the neck unit acting as a shock absorber.

I've long thought that both the head and neck need to be protected in a helmet "system" attached to the shoulder pads. That way most of the collision energy would go to the shoulders and body. Like having the helmet mounted on something akin to those "donut" neck pads some players wear, the neck unit acting as a shock absorber.

Yeah, something needs to be done differently. This method doesn't work. But I bet they are probably hesitant to change because they can't do funky colors and logos like now.

he got 21 million guaranteed from the cards a few years ago he's got money I hope he calls it a career he's life is worth a lot more then trying to beat out a rookie QB on a team that wont win more then 7 games

IIRC, it's because a concussion occurs when your brain hits the inside of your skull or when the inside of your skull hits your brain. Unless you can pad the area between your skull and your brain, concussions will continue to occur

I can't remember where I read it or whether it holds any water as a theory but I did remember someone saying that the cause of the growth of concussions is as a result of the increased use of the passing game because play is a lot less controlled - in a dominant running game, players are being blocked, it's all compacted into a smaller area and players were less athletic for their size. Today there's greater speed, more uncontrolled hits etc.

It's probably just that there's more motivation and skill to recognise concussion today but I still thought it an interesting hypothesis. Sorry I can't go into more detail.

Manufacturers are constantly trying to minimise concussions...it just isn't that simple. Your brain will always rattle in your head and that's the ultimate cause of a concussion; the displacement of the brain out of its normal position.

Sadly I know all too well that one concussion can impact you for the rest of your life. Post concussion syndrome with symptoms lasting months, epilepsy contracted through it and I have short term memory problems which result in me forgetting small details with quickly.

Kolb had quite a serious concussion playing for the Eagles and he should have stopped then...especially after he started getting multiple concussions. He's made himself plenty f money now...it just isn worth it carrying on.

I'm a huge proponent of minimising high hits for these reasons.

IIRC, it's because a concussion occurs when your brain hits the inside of your skull or when the inside of your skull hits your brain. Unless you can pad the area between your skull and your brain, concussions will continue to occur

THIS!

Also, it's very possible for players to slide and also go limp before contact to lessen the degree of energy transfer.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back