Welcome to PatsFans.com

Buffalo Bills coaching search

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by Tunescribe, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +457 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

I think this bears watching as a possible upgrade to Buffalo as a division rival. The team does have talent. So far, however, it looks like their interview process is leaning toward retreads a la Whisenhunt, Lovie Smith, Jim Haslett, etc. It leaves you wondering if ownership intends to stay cheap on hires.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

It would get interesting if they get Chip Kelly.

But I think they will pick a re-tread and continue to be the same ole Bills
  3. Frezo

Frezo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

Last night's talk radio mentioned that Whissenhunt is indeed due for a visit.
  4. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Focusing on guys who couldn't build develop a QB. Win for us. The hysterical grab a retread mentality seems to be overtaking another Black Monday of change. Reid is said to be the clubhouse leader in KC. Going from a place where they toss batteries and insults to one that organizes opposition to charter planes and fly banners... If he must forge on Reid would be better served to go to SD where they have a QB who might be salvagible and where when the fans are pissed they go surfing. He's probably reluctant to go to AZ where he'd have to face making Kolb work. Seems they are thinking about bringing the golf pro back and Pittsburgh quickly granted permission to talk...

So many of these guys are just bad fits schematically for the rosters they will inherit or were guilty of the same failures as the guys they'd replace (building a competitive offense around a competent QB selection).

Surprised no one is talking to Arians after the job he did in Indy. And he actually has had success developing QB's...which most of them are going to be stuck doing again or they are doomed to continue failing.
  5. dales804

dales804 Rookie

Ratings:
    +164 / 2 / -1

Disable Jersey

I believe SD is looking at Arians as a HC candidate.
  6. fnordcircle

fnordcircle ( o Y o ) PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +193 / 5 / -13

Buffalo FO has to have the millions invested into Mario and Anderson in mind if they bring in Lovie who has a reputation for being a defensive coach.

Didn't Anderson play for Lovie and start off strong and then fade out quickly? Interesting move if they bring in Lovie.
  7. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

I wonder how many coaches BB has "helped" owners give the axe to? Rex has gotten as close as possible (for winning) it seems, but they did that at the expense of selling out long term and it still bit them.

And if they (Jets) didn't get the bail out from cap during the 2010 negotiation, they'd be in even worse shape today. Still, signing Sanchez to that last contract really hurts them for a couple years :D.
  8. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +249 / 4 / -1

#95 Jersey

one of the worst jobs to take out there with fitz as their QB
  9. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +802 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

More fixable than most bad teams.
    The problems are the QB and the defense are both highly compensated and both are performing well below expectations in production. A QB guru might be able to help the streaky Fitz who's fine when all is going well but gets way too risky with the ball when behind. Doesn't have the talent to carry the team. So a defense playing to talent expectations keeping games closer plus a QB coach/OC who keeps Fitz under game management control utilizing the excellent RB talent would make the Bills contenders vs the Phins for 2nd place and a possible wildcard.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  10. BananaRepublican

BananaRepublican Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That would be too bold a move for the Bills. They feel more comfortable recycling failures.
  11. BananaRepublican

BananaRepublican Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'll take the job. I'll run Spiller 30 times a game and win eight without breaking a sweat.
  12. SeymourTrophies

SeymourTrophies Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

Especially with Kelly's mantra as the hyper-speed offense. The original Black Momba, CJ Spiller would be unleashed. The Bills have great team speed on offense. Fitzpicksix would only have so many chances to screw that up. Trade for LaMichael James and sing Kumbaya.

That defense's struggles have been inexcusable though, which leads me to think Smith is going to be their guy. If I were the Bills, I'd be making a phone call to see what the Skins are asking for Cousins, but so would a million others.
  13. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +125 / 1 / -6

#50 Jersey

I agree. I thought they be a 10-6 type team this past year threatening to secure a wild card and keeping the division race interesting, but they crashed to 6-10 with bad losses to the Jets, the Titans and the Rams. They should have been able to handle the Dolphins late in the year, as well.

The personnel up there looks very good to me on both sides of the ball. They have excellent running backs and better than average receivers. The defense has talent at all three levels. The signing of Mario Williams indicated that ownership is willing take the plunge on top talent occasionally.

It's a mystery to me why the Bills fall apart the way they do every year. A change in coaching may be just what is needed. It's an outpost in the middle of nowhere, but could be a great fit for Lovie Smith.
  14. Spergon Wynn

Spergon Wynn Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Whisenhunt seems like the most "Bills" pick to me.
  15. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Lovie Smith or Whisenhunt would be a fine candidates either would fix their Defense they already have a decent Offense.
  16. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

I live in Buffalo and follow them closely. The coach seriously doesn't matter. The team has a talent deficit because of bad drafting.

Brandon is now in charge, and the first thing he should have done is fire Buddy Nix. Then hire Smith the ex-GM of the Chargers who is very familiar with Buffalo.

Smith is a pretty good drafter. You simply limit his total control of the team when it comes to hiring coaches. As a personnel guy, he is really really good.

That has been the Bills' problem all along.
  17. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 4 / -2

#51 Jersey

Get rid of Ryan Fitzpatrick and trade a 2nd round pick for someone like Kirk Cousins. That would be a smart starting point for the Bills.
  18. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +457 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

Is Nix secure as GM? That one's a head-scratcher.
  19. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +837 / 44 / -48

Disable Jersey

There's plenty of defensive talent there, so I don't want to see Lovie Smith get that job.
  20. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

If I am the Bills,I go with who was most successful most recently...That would belong to Ken Whisenhunt who took his team to the SB and was a Holmes miracle catch away from winning it all.

Lovie Smith is,was...and always will be a DC in disguise of a rather mediocre HC
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.