Bucs won't cough up enough cash for Ashworth

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-ShirtDynasty

Reaction score
Via KFFL

Buccaneers | Team will likely lose out on Ashworth
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:59:29 -0800

Roy Cummings, of the Tampa Tribune, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will likely lose out on free agent OT Tom Ashworth (Patriots). Ashworth's agent, Tom Mills, said the team's contract offer is not what they are looking for. Mills said, "His visit there [last week] went great and they're telling us he's better than both of the starters they have there now, but they're not saying that with their offer. It's a multiyear offer, but it's at backup rates."
He's lookin' for starter money... are we in on this action at all do you think or is he definately out? Just curious, not hot about it one way or the other.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
He's lookin' for starter money... are we in on this action at all do you think or is he definately out? Just curious, not hot about it one way or the other.
I doubt Belichick is going to pay him starter money when he probably doesn't want him starting anymore. This is the year to get a real RT (unless Kaczur is it).

BelichickFan said:
I doubt Belichick is going to pay him starter money when he probably doesn't want him starting anymore. This is the year to get a real RT (unless Kaczur is it).
Couldn't ya play along, just for a while? There hasn't been any controversy around here in ages. ;)

KFFL reports Ashworth is visiting the Saints and the Seahags next. The hags have a big hole now in that offensive line.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Couldn't ya play along, just for a while? There hasn't been any controversy around here in ages. ;)
Sorry . . . but after signing Reche Caldwell for around $850K a year it's hard to joke about paying big bucks to Tom Ashworth.

BelichickFan said:

If I recall, Gorin got a split contract last year that would pay him like a backup, but would increase to starter money if he was a starter. I'd offer Ashworth the same type deal. People seem to be down on Ashworth, but I think he's serviceable, and definitely a better choice over Gorin.

Ouch...that agent must be seriously pissed off to tell reporters "they're telling us he's better than both of the starters they have there now." Talk about burning bridges -- good luck in the Bucs clubhouse now, Tom, after publicly dissing the rest of their OL.

Lamanai said:
People seem to be down on Ashworth, but I think he's serviceable, and definitely a better choice over Gorin.
That's like picking green beans or carrots . . . they both suck. I want a real RT, either Kaczur if he's up to it or a #1 or #2 pick this year.

BelichickFan said:
That's like picking green beans or carrots . . . they both suck. I want a real RT, either Kaczur if he's up to it or a #1 or #2 pick this year.

I'd say more like liver or lima beans myself! :p

BelichickFan said:

I'd like a real RT too, but I wouldn't put that as the highest priority right now. There are other more pressing needs, IMO. If you gotta have a swing OT at reasonably short money, Ashworth isn't a world beater but he knows the Pats system and doesn't suck.

Lamanai said:
I'd like a real RT too, but I wouldn't put that as the highest priority right now.
There is no higher priority right now than ensuring Brady's health for 7 years until he's 35 or so and ready to call it a day. None.

BelichickFan said:
There is no higher priority right now than ensuring Brady's health for 7 years until he's 35 or so and ready to call it a day. None.

Amen to that!!! :rocker:

BelichickFan said:

Nobody wants to see Brady sacked. Last season he was one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL, and that was with a rookie LT and stopgaps at RT (Goring, Ashworth). Investing another #1 two draft pick on a OL in 2006 is a bit of overkill. If they didn't have other glaring holes to fill then i'd say go for it.

Right now, I think the team needs to find a way to sack the other team's QB...

Lamanai said:
Right now, I think the team needs to find a way to sack the other team's QB...
:confused:

This isn't exactly a problem. With our DL and Colvin and (presumably) Vrabel at OLB we have no problem getting pressue.

BelichickFan said:

Why retire at 35? He'd be in his prime at his position then by NFL standards. :eat3:

Lamanai said:
Nobody wants to see Brady sacked. Last season he was one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL, and that was with a rookie LT and stopgaps at RT (Goring, Ashworth).

Yes, but how many times was he hit/knocked down? It's not just being sacked that endangers Brady. Some of the credit for not being sacked has to go to Brady for getting the ball away quickly, and throwing even when he knows he's going to be hit (think of the Tampa Bay game).

T-ShirtDynasty said:

If short-term memory still serves, as the '04 season began
we were glad to have Ash starting at RT.
Then he hurt his back.
Hurt something else again in '05 ... and suffered a relapse of some kind while healing.

Meanwhile the rookies did well, and Gorin got a bigger contract than many of us
believe he lived up to. Ash seemed to have gotten shunted aside.

Now, sadly for him, he learns that repeat injuries harm your checkbook as much as your body.

I join most respondents in thinking he is pretty good ... and certainly a serviceable swing backup.
I hope the f/o is thinking along the lines of Lamanai's split contract.

PhilD said:
Yes, but how many times was he hit/knocked down? It's not just being sacked that endangers Brady. Some of the credit for not being sacked has to go to Brady for getting the ball away quickly, and throwing even when he knows he's going to be hit (think of the Tampa Bay game).
:ditto: :agree:

Some of the non sack hits he took made my body hurt even though I live on the other side of the country.

PhilD said:

Every QB gets hit and knocked down. It is not realistic to expect to eliminate all hits to Brady. I'm not suggesting they leave Brady unprotected, but having a top running attack and quality receivers will reduce the number of hits too. I think this would be the way to go. JMHO.

Lamanai said:
Every QB gets hit and knocked down. It is not realistic to expect to eliminate all hits to Brady.
Brady was one of the most hit QB in the league last year . . . I'll see if I can find numbers on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes