Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
some interesting ones

Bucs-Patriots Post-Game Quotes | Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Pewter Report

CB Ronde Barber

On how the Patriots used Wes Welker
To tell you the truth, we knew they had some screens in their offense. I didn't see that many in a two season cut up. They really attacked our coverage, got those linemen out front who made some plays. I think he caught four of them today. So you know, you give them credit. They took it to their to our weaknesses and they found a way.
Head Coach Raheem Morris

On blitzing to start the second half
You're talking about Tom Brady, moving the ball down the field, you make a decision to go after them, you go get after him and he comes out in a slot formation, did a better job of beating Geno (Hayes) there, we lost in man coverage, one of those situations when you talk about Tom Brady being special and recognizing the mismatch, you have to be able to hide it a little bit better. We can make that play and I've seen Geno make it before, and I've seen him make it on tight ends. It wasn't like a mismatch that we didn't feel very comfortable with but their guy made a better play and their guy made a better throw and they won there.

On the decision to punt from the 35
Not to give Tom Brady the deadly throw of giving him the ball right there on the 35. Tom gets the ball with the short field, he's going to put a dagger in you; try to keep him backed up. When we had him backed up a couple of times, we forced a punch on him and the one thing he's going to do is assume late first downs. You don't want to give him the ball there with two first downs and give him the opportunity to get more field goals and points. If we can hold him back and get an interception or something like that from him, we feel good about the decision, but Tom, he's the guy that changed the game, he's the guy you worry about constantly and worry about field position with. When you have a great quarterback like that, that's what he does and that's what he will do for you.

On Wes Welkers crossing routes
He's a problem and he has a great quarterback that understands every defense, every situation that you're in, and you don't get lucky and go ten for ten when you target a guy ten times, you hit him ten times, you know exactly when you want to get it to him and you know exactly when he has the ability to get the ball. A lot of short passes that he has great ability to get the ball and run the game. I told him after the game, get out of the game; and he knows it, and he's a great guy and a great human and I know him personally and that's probably why he gave me more of a dagger today.

On if his players were slipping on the turf
I don't know, but the Patriots, I don't get into that as an excuse really. The Patriots slipped as well. They slipped to 35 points and we slipped to 7 and gave up 35 and two interceptions. The game is what it is, and the field is what it is. Great field, great atmosphere, weird atmosphere. It's not a problem. I've seen a couple of games here where it's cold; and we have a beautiful day with beautiful atmosphere and beautiful fans and a great tempo.

The 'we slipped to 7, they slipped to 35' quote was pure class. No excuses. Gotta respect that guy.

Kudos to their QB, Peyty take notes. ;)

QB Josh Johnson

On how he feels
Honestly I feel fine. With the interception, the first one, we had a route where he gets to choose if he wants to break it or hook it and he hooked it. I kind of anticipated that he might break it out because I knew the coverage they were playing so he hooked it and I threw it. My fault. We took more shots and tried to push the ball down the field. In regards to the incompletions, we were trying to push it down the field and they were covering underneath things, and that's kind of been our thing, underneath routes, getting the ball out of my hand and we were trying to push it down the field. And then the second interception was me trying to make a play, pretty much, and not being on the same page with the receiver. The third one, it was in the half, just put the ball on the play. It never really felt out of sync. I felt like we always had a chance to move the ball. I mean, we got our running game going. Passing game, it was up and down. We had our ups and downs and it was frustrating but we kept fighting on the offensive side of the ball. We had opportunities at the end of the game to put points on the board and unfortunately we weren't able to do that. It was frustrating but I mean, I got one thing I'm most frustrated in myself about was just the turnovers. That's what hurt us. I feel like that hurt us a lot, because our defense played they played pretty well. It's going to be tough on them if we put them in bad situations to stop an offense with Tom Brady and Wes and Randy Moss over there. It's tough. We knew we had to do some things on the offensive side of the ball we weren't able to do that.

Young players. Good attitude. I wish them the NFC best.

I don't know that I agree with that reasoning (field position) of not going for it on 4th down. I can see not going for it when it was 4th and one at the 50 since that was only the 2nd quarter, but late in the 3rd quarter, back to back possessions, not going for it from either the Pats 37 or the Pats 35 - when they were down by 21 - that baffled me.

So they're hoping for a pick 6, I can understand that, but you think you have a better chance of a turnover happening than scoring from inside the 40 - or converting a play for four yards? As it was they ended up with only two more possessions for the rest of the game. And then they finally do go for it on 4th down, that was pointless since they were down by 28 with only a minute left in the game.

I don't know that I agree with that reasoning (field position) of not going for it on 4th down. I can see not going for it when it was 4th and one at the 50 since that was only the 2nd quarter, but late in the 3rd quarter, back to back possessions, not going for it from either the Pats 37 or the Pats 35 - when they were down by 21 - that baffled me.

So they're hoping for a pick 6, I can understand that, but you think you have a better chance of a turnover happening than scoring from inside the 40 - or converting a play for four yards? As it was they ended up with only two more possessions for the rest of the game. And then they finally do go for it on 4th down, that was pointless since they were down by 28 with only a minute left in the game.

Agreed. I recall that they pinned the Pats back at least a couple of times on the punt (I think this may have been one of the times, but I'm not sure). Even so, the chances were high that the Pats would get to at least the 35ish on a return followed by one series anyway, so why not go for it? Easy for me to say, I guess. :confused2:

Last edited:
I have a lot more respect for the Bucs than I do the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes