PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bucs fire Gruden

Status
Not open for further replies.
watch it happen man.....Chuckie to the Jests.......jeezus.....Well...he couldn't win (except with Tony's team) in Tampa........and he couldn't win with the Raida's.....

I am not shocked to see him go.....He has done jack sh#$ since the SB win........and he sucked again this year..........Still don't want to see him in NY

The Green Beans are jinxed; they won't win an NFL title in our lifetime regardless of who's coaching them. Besides, I believe BB has done well head-to-head with Gruden. This also bodes well for our London game vs. Tampa.

It was Dungy's team, always was, nothing new there, Gruden inherited a great Tony Dungy defense, thats fact not fiction, all he had to do was watch them dominate and they did, Gruden could not field an offense for 6 years, thats why he was fired, now if people said Gruden as a DC ''maybe'', but as an OC, thats just moronic.

Ha ha. This is the reason he got fired.

Bucs fans never forgave Gruden for winning the title Saint Dungy couldn't.
all he had to do was watch them dominate and they did

How come when St. Dungy watched them they crapped out every season?

Having just logged onto this thread via the "last page" button, I'm just curious - how many braindead posts about making Gruden our OC for one year?

Having just logged onto this thread via the "last page" button, I'm just curious - how many braindead posts about making Gruden our OC for one year?

Just enough to keep it as a "Patriots thread"....

It was Dungy's team, always was, nothing new there, Gruden inherited a great Tony Dungy defense, thats fact not fiction, all he had to do was watch them dominate and they did, Gruden could not field an offense for 6 years, thats why he was fired, now if people said Gruden as a DC ''maybe'', but as an OC, thats just moronic.

Ok.. So, it was a team that couldn't get the job done under Dungy, but Gruden was able to sit back, do nothing, and win a SB. That's what you are saying. Sorry, that that idea is moronic.

Can't say I'm really surprised, whats he done since they won the SB? He added a new dimension to a team Dungy built, put the icing on the cake but now we're a good few years down the line and he's had to put his own team out on the field it hasn't happened. One superbowl win doesn't excuse years of mediocrity.

Gruden is a decent coach, I admire his dedication to his field (in his office at 3, 4am?) but I think it's certainly time for fresh ideas in Tampa.

So, thats one HC, one GM and 20 QB's coming out of Tampa this off season...

Maybe we could hire Gruden to be a special assistant to the head coach. He could stand beside Coach, and when one of the press asked a particularly vapid question, Gruden could give them his patented Chucky stare.

In fact, hire Gruden to do our pressers for us. That'd be a frikkin' riot.... :)

Most of them were probrably saying trade Eli last week.

Who are we to talk, as a fan base? This message board has a "Trade Brady" thread that's seen several "Trade Brady" threads merged into it.

The Patriots aren't somehow devoid of foolish fans. In fact, if the past two seasons have taught me anything sports-wise, it's that the Patriots current fan base is among the worst in the NFL. The influx of the bandwagon fans, and the loss of common sense for far too many long time fans, has made the fan base an insult to the team.

Who are we to talk, as a fan base? This message board has a "Trade Brady" thread that's seen several "Trade Brady" threads merged into it.

The Patriots aren't somehow devoid of foolish fans. In fact, if the past two seasons have taught me anything sports-wise, it's that the Patriots current fan base is among the worst in the NFL. The influx of the bandwagon fans, and the loss of common sense for far too many long time fans, has made the fan base an insult to the team.

Relax, thats the point. Was tongue in cheek regarding the fickle nature of fans, although what unoriginal quoted was more trying to look at it from an owner/gm point of view.

Relax, thats the point. Was tongue in cheek regarding the fickle nature of fans, although what unoriginal quoted was more trying to look at it from an owner/gm point of view.

Sorry, I missed the tongue in your cheek......

:(

<---- feeling shame and heading off to the penalty box for a 5 minute major

Sorry, I missed the tongue in your cheek......

:(

<---- feeling shame and heading off to the penalty box for a 5 minute major

Nearly seven thousand posts and I still have to put a smiley in for you, c'mon Deus ;) No problem bud, I do agree though to some extent. Hopefully when we settle down for a new season and people see Brady hasn't lost his arms and legs and we realise just how damn important a player he is again, maybe we can gain a touch of normality back.

Well, atleast in that area...

Does anyone think that TB firing Gruden makes it more likely that they may be players in trading for Matt Cassel if the Pats franchise him? One of the big raps on Gruden at TB has been his failure to develop a long term QB plan. TB has a lot of talent on both sides of the ball - made the playoffs in 2007 and started 9-3 in 2008 - so it might not take that much to get them over the hump and competitive in the NFC. The Glazer's obviously want to win now, not to rebuild or develop rookie QBs for 3-4 years down the road. Matt Ryan and Flacco have had unusual success as rookies, but that is likely to be the exception rather than the rule, and the top prospects in the draft are juniors. Cassel would probably be the best opportunity for TB to put together a stable contender.

TB traded 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks for Gruden in 2001, and won a superbowl in 2002. A 1st round pick in 2009 (#19) and a conditional pick in 2010 (3rd base; 2nd if they make the playoffs or if Cassel meets certain performance metrics; 1st if they make the superbowl) would not seem unreasonable given their past performance.

I hope he goes to the Jets.

The influx of the bandwagon fans, and the loss of common sense for far too many long time fans, has made the fan base an insult to the team.

Nonsense. This fan base is no worse than any other and much, much better than many. I'm speaking from experience as a season ticket holder of 15 years who has been to away games vs. Jest, Giants, Redskins, Bills, Steelers, Chargers, Seahawks and Ravens, plus Super Bowls vs. Panthers, Eagles and Giants.

I'm not really surprised that they did it, just that they waited so long after that pitifully blown game against Chokeland to do it. Ever since winning the SB Gruden has basically become another Pete Carroll, and Tampa fired Tony Dungy for doing the same thing in less years.

Nothing against Gruden, I like him and I think he has the ideal personality for a coach. But it just seemed that whatever the magic was that got them all the way in '02 just wasn't there after that.

My guess is he gets a coordinator job for 2009 but will be a head coach again in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down